ATV sprayers

new2plots

Buck Fawn
What is the best ATV sprayer for spraying food plots with glyphosate for weed control ? I am looking for something that has a good even application of spray all the way across,probably going to have to be a boom style sprayer. I tried this one from Fimco
Fimco 25 Gal. 3-Nozzle Boomless ATV Sprayer
SKU # 123138599

1533526240791.png
This is suppose to spray a 30 foot area which it seems to but it seems to me to be very poor coverage, it shoots alot out far and light amount closer (not even coverage in my opinion )

Seems to me there are ones that have long arms that fold out to the sides of tank AKA boom sprayers that have nozzles that spray straight dawn toward the ground from all of the nozzles across the boom to allow for a even application of spray.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I suggest you check out the NorthStar sprayers from Northern Tool. I've had one of the 16 gallon models for about five years. It gives me a nice even spray about 15 ft. wide. Two other guys in my lease have them also, one a 16 gal. and one a 26 gal. All of ours are the 2.2 gallon per minute models. The pumps and fittings on these units are top notch. None of us have had any problems with them.

How big are the plots your are spraying?
With my 16 gal. model I spray a 4/10 acre plot and two 150 yard/15 foot wide shooting lanes on one tank.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=48&Ntt=atv+sprayer

As an alternative, you can change out the sprayer head on your unit using those in-ground pop-up sprayer heads with a 90 or 180 degree spray fan.

I'm a Fimco guy myself. I have 2 nozzles on a boom that gives me about a 15 foot wide swath. Not sure about the boomless but mine I can change the tips to give me the pattern I want. Give Fimco a call, their customer service is Great, and ask for their assistance.

Last edited:
I'd like to see someone splurge on one of these and write a review on here. :)

Reactions: kl9
I just bought the northern tool 26 gallon model (on sale - thanks for the recommendation!). First time using this type of sprayer. I see the chart included to figure out application rate, but it's not clicking for me. As an example, I want to spray 1 acre of clover with Cleth Agristar Clethodim 2E (bought crop oil as well). It appears I should be doing 8 oz per acre. How do I figure out how many gallons of water to add as well as the speed to apply to have it come out roughly right? Maybe I need some more coffee this am to figure this out;)

If my application calls for 8 to 10 oz per acre of Cleth + crop oil. If I drove 5 MPH I would need roughly 11 gallons of water based on their chart? Am I looking at this right?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 10.59.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 10.59.15 AM.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 21

I’ve looked at those! Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

…………….. It appears I should be doing 8 oz per acre. How do I figure out how many gallons of water to add as well as the speed to apply to have it come out roughly right? ……….

I keep it simple. The sprayer puts out about 2.2 gallons per minute of spray. So in your example, if I want to spray a half-acre plot at the rate of 8 oz of herbicide per acre I add 4 or 5 ounces of herbicide to a full 16 gallon tank and know that I have about 7 minutes of running time to spray the plot (16 gal divided by 2.2 gal per minute). I then make one fairly fast pass over the entire plot, shooting for using about half the tank. I then make a second pass in the opposite direction, adjusting my speed to the amount of liquid left in the tank.

Neighbor has one. When I get 3k to burn ill have one

If my application calls for 8 to 10 oz per acre of Cleth + crop oil. If I drove 5 MPH I would need roughly 11 gallons of water based on their chart? Am I looking at this right?
I have the 16 gal northstar. First thing I did was put 10 gals (measured) of water in the tank. Mount the sprayer on the vehicle you intend to use and sit on it while spraying so you know the height of the nozzle (which determines the width).Turn the sprayer on and see how many minutes it takes to empty. This gives you a true GPM at the nozzle not the pump. Mine will empty the tank in about 5 minutes. Measure the width of pattern on the driveway where you sprayed so you have an accurate reflection of how wide it will spray in the field.Then you can use the chart to figure how fast you drive to cover an area 12'wide. The boominator nozzle says 14' but 12' is closer for me with minimal overlap. Boominator nozzle part is economy series 1200PS. Use the chart in the link to do the math. (mine takes about 10-11 gals to do 1/2 acre at 4-5mph)
http://www.boominator.com/eco-series.php
That being said I just got this boom sprayer that hooked up seamlessly to the Northstar. Bought this trying to get better sprayer performance-the jury is still out on it though.
https://www.essentialhardware.com/ag-south-atvbk-700-boom-for-sc25-atv-sprayer-202141.html

Figuring out how many mph to drive while spraying is only useful if your ATV has a speedometer. Mine does not, so I use the KISS method I described.

Figuring out how many mph to drive while spraying is only useful if your ATV has a speedometer. Mine does not, so I use the KISS method I described.
if you have a GPS , you can use that to track speed if atv doesn't have a speedo!

I personally like a tow behind sprayer, keeps things a little farther away,(less mist/drift on me)
and I have a 16 ft boom,(can be folded down to smaller sizes too)
I can cover a lot of found and KNOW I get a good coverage
a 40 gallon sprayer gets me a lot more time in between fillings too, on more remote places, where water isn't on site, can fill in advance and get all done in one trip but we all have needs bases on size of our plots!

What is the best ATV sprayer for spraying food plots with glyphosate for weed control ? I am looking for something that has a good even application of spray all the way across,probably going to have to be a boom style sprayer. I tried this one from Fimco
SKU # 123138599

View attachment 19780
This is suppose to spray a 30 foot area which it seems to but it seems to me to be very poor coverage, it shoots alot out far and light amount closer (not even coverage in my opinion )

Seems to me there are ones that have long arms that fold out to the sides of tank AKA boom sprayers that have nozzles that spray straight dawn toward the ground from all of the nozzles across the boom to allow for a even application of spray.

That's the one I own and I've commented on it a few times before. There are a few things about it that are a PIA. The intake is a bad design for spraying cross-slope when the tank is getting low. It's located in roughly the middle of the tank, so when the solution in the tank is low, it pools on the one side (downslope side) and the intake sucks air instead of fluid. Depending on the slope and how I choose to travel it, I usually end up with 3 or 4 gallons of liquid in the tank. Sometimes, depending on how the plots are laid out, there is really no choice on which direction I can spray so the leftover solution is an annoying issue to deal with at the end of the day. Fimco needs to redesign the tank so all the liquid drains toward the intake regardless of the slope.

Another change Fimco need to make is to enlarge the drain hole. It's just a garden hose size outlet which really slows down the draining and flushing process.

The screen is in a pretty tight spot, too. I have my sprayer mounted on a 3 point carry all and the screen is really hard to access without unmounting the tank, and if the screen needs cleaned when the tank is full, it's a little awkward. It's a really good idea to filter everything that goes in the tank...water, chemicals, adjuvants, etc get poured through old pantyhose. It'll keep your screen cleaner for a longer period of time with less clogging issues and down time. I hate dealing with a semi or fully clogged screen when I have a full tank of spray and I'm racing a against weather or wind conditions.

For the money, I guess the Fimco isn't too bad, but it surely isn't perfect.

Tow behind models were mentioned above. I used to borrow my neighbors 25 gal before I owned my Fimco. I absolutely hate tow behind sprayers. They are difficult to back up into tight spaces and on rough terrain, the bounce around like crazy. I'll take a 3 point implement over a tow implement every day of the week, but I will admit a drag disc works better than a 3 point disc, but once again, backing them up is an issue.

SKU # 123138599

View attachment 19780

That's the one I own and I've commented on it a few times before. There are a few things about it that are a PIA. The intake is a bad design for spraying cross-slope when the tank is getting low. It's located in roughly the middle of the tank, so when the solution in the tank is low, it pools on the one side (downslope side) and the intake sucks air instead of fluid. Depending on the slope and how I choose to travel it, I usually end up with 3 or 4 gallons of liquid in the tank. Sometimes, depending on how the plots are laid out, there is really no choice on which direction I can spray so the leftover solution is an annoying issue to deal with at the end of the day. Fimco needs to redesign the tank so all the liquid drains toward the intake regardless of the slope.

Another change Fimco need to make is to enlarge the drain hole. It's just a garden hose size outlet which really slows down the draining and flushing process.

The screen is in a pretty tight spot, too. I have my sprayer mounted on a 3 point carry all and the screen is really hard to access without unmounting the tank, and if the screen needs cleaned when the tank is full, it's a little awkward. It's a really good idea to filter everything that goes in the tank...water, chemicals, adjuvants, etc get poured through old pantyhose. It'll keep your screen cleaner for a longer period of time with less clogging issues and down time. I hate dealing with a semi or fully clogged screen when I have a full tank of spray and I'm racing a against weather or wind conditions.

For the money, I guess the Fimco isn't too bad, but it surely isn't perfect.

Tow behind models were mentioned above. I used to borrow my neighbors 25 gal before I owned my Fimco. I absolutely hate tow behind sprayers. They are difficult to back up into tight spaces and on rough terrain, the bounce around like crazy. I'll take a 3 point implement over a tow implement every day of the week, but I will admit a drag disc works better than a 3 point disc, but once again, backing them up is an issue.

I agree with everything you say about the Fimco. I’m thinking about rigging some type of in line filter in place of that flimsy little screen that clogs so easy. Also, that plastic manifold system is cheap and breaks too easily. You need to have spare parts on hand to keep it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got lucky and found a tank and sprayer setup at an auction w/ a little gas motor on it. Cost more to get a boom made than the machine at the auction, but it has flip out arms and probably 10' of spread. mounts on a 3 point or in the back of a side by side. Once you have one, you're spoiled

If we're talking deals, also got a 10' cultipacker in great shape for under $100 at an auction too... Right place at the right time I guess.

Check out cropcare sprayers. Probably on the higher end of food plotting sprayers.
Ive been using one for a few years now. Built very well.

Check out cropcare sprayers. Probably on the higher end of food plotting sprayers.
Ive been using one for a few years now. Built very well.

I bought a crop care last year. Must say it was a disappointment, except for the boom. The crop care boom is the best ATV boom I've seen. The sprayer is the same tank as the FIMCO, except yellow. The pump on it wouldn't power the boom with enough PSI with the pump it came with. I called and was wanting to return the sprayer, when they asked why, I told them. They sent me a 5+ GPM pump that fixed the problem. So, I must say, customer service was excellent, but the sprayer, as sold, is not what I would have expected.

when I went from the fimco (think) 6 ft sprayer to a 16 ft boom, I too had to add a new pump, but honestly the pumps are cheap so, even if they didn't pay for it(glad they did) adding a larger one is rather simple and cheap, to make something work better

when I went from the fimco (think) 6 ft sprayer to a 16 ft boom, I too had to add a new pump, but honestly the pumps are cheap so, even if they didn't pay for it(glad they did) adding a larger one is rather simple and cheap, to make something work better

I agree, but the point is, the tank is the same as the Fimco, the pump that comes on it needs replaced, and the boom is sold separately.