New ATV sprayer suggestions

Loved our tow behind 31 gallon from northern tool before it was stolen. With the Hills on our property I'm not keen on using an ATV rack mounted one but that's what it was replaced with.

Great point, our plots are pretty steep. I have to be very careful and only spray the steep spots with a partially full tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very happy with my NorthStar sprayer with the foldable boom option. IMHO way better than the boomless option. I use mine on a Ranger, I simply ratchet strap it with the boom apparatus hanging off the back of the bed.

Decided to pick up a frost 25 gallon with the 12’ boom yesterday. Was just about to fill it up and try it out with water and realized it doesn’t have a fooking drain plug!! I’m so pissed that I missed that detail and not sure whether I should return it and be pissed off about the two 2.5 hour round trips to pick it up and return it or just cuss Frost inc about the lack of a drain plug every time I use it for the rest of its useful life.

Am I missing something? Is there an easy way to pump out the liquid, clean the tank, and pump out the cleaning water/solution without pulling it off the ATV and dumping it out the fill cap every time? Edit: I’ll probably end up keeping it and just having to spray it empty every time.

Last edited:
Decided to pick up a frost 25 gallon with the 12’ boom yesterday. Was just about to fill it up and try it out with water and realized it doesn’t have a fooking drain plug!! I’m so pissed that I missed that detail and not sure whether I should return it and be pissed off about the two 2.5 hour round trips to pick it up and return it or just cuss Frost inc about the lack of a drain plug every time I use it for the rest of its useful life.

Am I missing something? Is there an easy way to pump out the liquid, clean the tank, and pump out the cleaning water/solution without pulling it off the ATV and dumping it out the fill cap every time? Edit: I’ll probably end up keeping it and just having to spray it empty every time.
If no way to drain. RETURN and cuss.

Just looking at the list of features.......it says it has "25 gallon tank with drain sump". Seems odd not to have a drain...if it has a drain sump???

Just looking at the list of features.......it says it has "25 gallon tank with drain sump". Seems odd not to have a drain...if it has a drain sump???
It does say that and I can’t imagine how else to interpret that wording, but I don’t see a drain in any of the pictures on their website either. The sump is in the middle of the tank though so if there were a drain it would be hard to see in pics. Maybe @FrostInc can weigh in? Otherwise I’ll skip using it this weekend like intended and call after the holiday.

Last edited:
It does say that and I can’t imagine how else to interpret that wording, but I don’t see a drain in any of the pictures on their website either. The sump is in the middle of the tank though so if there were a drain it would be hard to see in pics. Maybe @FrostInc can weigh in? Otherwise I’ll skip using it this weekend like intended and call after the holiday.
is there a threaded plug or place to put some kinda petcock? Does seem odd. Looks like a well engineered product.....but for something silly like this.

PM sent

I don’t own this sprayer, but past correspondence with an owner of one listed the following as a feature he liked…

“It has a roto molded tank that has a sump in the bottom where the intake hose is so you are able to spray out virtually all of the contents rather than having a gallon of water sloshing around at the end. Another feature I like is to empty the tank while cleaning or if you have extra mix you just disconnect the hose to the sprayer bar and pump out the contents rather fighting the tank using a drain hole. “

PM sent

I don’t own this sprayer, but past correspondence with an owner of one listed the following as a feature he liked…

“It has a roto molded tank that has a sump in the bottom where the intake hose is so you are able to spray out virtually all of the contents rather than having a gallon of water sloshing around at the end. Another feature I like is to empty the tank while cleaning or if you have extra mix you just disconnect the hose to the sprayer bar and pump out the contents rather fighting the tank using a drain hole. “

This is what the tank looks like
45A97A1E-5C92-49E8-8BFA-C32363B50E17.jpegA6899FB8-F72C-428E-86CC-A265EB377DAD.jpeg
The middle sump will definitely allow you to spray the tank drier than the fimco tanks I’m familiar with. I still think an end drain hole allows you to get more liquid out though. It’s pretty easy to drive the atv on a side hill to help everything drain out of the low end. I don’t see how you could really get the tank totally dry the way this is without counting on evaporation or wiping it dry.

Maybe the amount of liquid left in the sump is inconsequential but I just don’t like the idea of having more cleaning solution or prior chemical mixed in the next tank than I currently do with a $250 fimco.

Edit: I filled with water and sprayed it dry and then compared with how much liquid is sitting in my fimco tank. They are much closer than I expected. I think I can live with the lack of a drain. It empties quick if you disconnect the boom hose (which is quick, not connected with a hose clamp).

Last edited:
My 25 gal ATV sprayer didn't have a drain on it either. I would just park it on a slight angle to pump it out when I rinsed it out and it drained most everything out. Like others have said, if you disconnect the hose going from the tank to the sprayer boom (loosen 1 hose clamp) you can pump out the remainder fairly easily. Yes, a drain would be nice, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

There is no drain in my 125 gallon 3 Pt sprayer either but I manage to get all but a very small amount of liquid out of it by just rinsing and running the pump. I run a gallon of RV antifreeze through it at the end of the season and just leave a little bit of it in the tank, even though it is stored in my insulated barn.

IMG_1601 (2).jpeg

Speaking of sprayers... I noted that after using Bonide fruit tree spray for my apple trees I would get a little white film left in my backpack sprayer even after rinsing it out well. I bought this tank cleaner at TSC and decided to just clean out all of my sprayers at once...

IMG_8255.jpg

I mixed up about 30 gallons for my 110 gal sprayer (1 oz per 3 gallons of water) and ran some through the boom a little and then let it sit overnight.
IMG_8257.jpg

The next morning when I pumped out the cleaning solution, I collected some of the cleaner in jugs and used that to clean out my backpack sprayer and other sprayers as well. Pump out some of the solution through the hose/s as well and it will clean up your nozzles as well.
IMG_8256.jpg

This is what the film looked like in my backpack sprayer even after I thoroughly rinsed it with water...
IMG_8254.jpg

Here is what it looked like after sloshing around some of the cleaner in it - clean as a whistle.
IMG_8260.jpg

I would say the FarmWorks tank cleaner works very well.

Speaking of sprayers... I noted that after using Bonide fruit tree spray for my apple trees I would get a little white film left in my backpack sprayer even after rinsing it out well. I bought this tank cleaner at TSC and decided to just clean out all of my sprayers at once...

View attachment 45747

I mixed up about 30 gallons for my 110 gal sprayer (1 oz per 3 gallons of water) and ran some through the boom a little and then let it sit overnight.
View attachment 45748

The next morning when I pumped out the cleaning solution, I collected some of the cleaner in jugs and used that to clean out my backpack sprayer and other sprayers as well. Pump out some of the solution through the hose/s as well and it will clean up your nozzles as well.
View attachment 45752

This is what the film looked like in my backpack sprayer even after I thoroughly rinsed it with water...
View attachment 45749

Here is what it looked like after sloshing around some of the cleaner in it - clean as a whistle.
View attachment 45753

I would say the FarmWorks tank cleaner works very well.

I bought some this year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with the drain issues.
In all of our plot sprayers, our tanks have a sump which all liquid is gathered so that virtually all liquid can be drawn out with a sump hose.
With your premium 12ft Boom, you can unscrew the wand from its hose and use it as a multi-function draining option and pump the liquid out to reclaim the rinsate from the sump. You will also be able to empty the rinsate into a bucket and not need to dump it on the ground. (Typically, with our primary boomless bar, there is an additional fitting for pumping this out.)
I hope this solves your drain confusion! Feel free to give us a call if you have more questions.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with the drain issues.
In all of our plot sprayers, our tanks have a sump which all liquid is gathered so that virtually all liquid can be drawn out with a sump hose.
With your premium 12ft Boom, you can unscrew the wand from its hose and use it as a multi-function draining option and pump the liquid out to reclaim the rinsate from the sump. You will also be able to empty the rinsate into a bucket and not need to dump it on the ground. (Typically, with our primary boomless bar, there is an additional fitting for pumping this out.)
I hope this solves your drain confusion! Feel free to give us a call if you have more questions.
I'm looking to improve on my 25 Gallon Fimco. .......and if your going to advertise your unit to be better than a Fimco....then I say you need to have the drain hole means. I want to have a plug I can remove and run some water thru the tank without hooking up an electrical connection. Maybe it's just me?

I'm looking to improve on my 25 Gallon Fimco. .......and if your going to advertise your unit to be better than a Fimco....then I say you need to have the drain hole means. I want to have a plug I can remove and run some water thru the tank without hooking up an electrical connection. Maybe it's just me?

My frost pumps water out notably quicker than my fimco drains. I wish it did have a drain but functionally it’s much less of an issue than I thought it would be. Seemed like a ridiculous error but I don’t see it as a big issue after use. I’m happy with my frost purchase so far.

Last edited:
My frost pumps water out notably quicker than my fimco drains. I wish it did have a drain but functionally it’s much less of an issue than I thought it would be. Seemed like a ridiculous error but I don’t see it as a big issue after use. I’m happy with my frost purchase so far.
I appreciate the comment! We have done our research and created our sprayers how we feel is the most beneficial. Glad it works well for you.

We're happy to know about this consideration, thank you for the feedback. Feel free to call or stop by to see the benefits and why we created them this way.

This is what the tank looks like
View attachment 45727View attachment 45728
The middle sump will definitely allow you to spray the tank drier than the fimco tanks I’m familiar with. I still think an end drain hole allows you to get more liquid out though. It’s pretty easy to drive the atv on a side hill to help everything drain out of the low end. I don’t see how you could really get the tank totally dry the way this is without counting on evaporation or wiping it dry.

Maybe the amount of liquid left in the sump is inconsequential but I just don’t like the idea of having more cleaning solution or prior chemical mixed in the next tank than I currently do with a $250 fimco.

Edit: I filled with water and sprayed it dry and then compared with how much liquid is sitting in my fimco tank. They are much closer than I expected. I think I can live with the lack of a drain. It empties quick if you disconnect the boom hose (which is quick, not connected with a hose clamp).
Thank you for the image and comment on this!