Need Help with Soil Test results

hilltopper

5 year old buck +
I have attached the results of a recent soil test. Ignore Sample 1. Sample 2 is a very sandy field that was planted in clover in fall 2015. It hasn't exactly thrived but it's ok. It has taken quite a bit of lime to get the pH to the current 6.6. I would like to plant it in a rye/brassica mix this fall by throw and mow, setting the clover back by either gly or scalping.

A friend with soils experience has recommended the following (per acre):
500# MAP
1000# Gypsum
4# Copper Sulfate
40# Zinc Sulfate
15# Mule Team Borax

One question I have is that Phosphorus was described as "Excessive" (55ppm) last year in a soil test and still seems high to me here- 60 ppm by my calculations. He says it's not available and I need more. He also says to quit with 0-0-60 for now, although K still looks low to me.

Am I missing something- I know this can get complicated.upload_2017-5-8_18-38-26.png

Just one man's opinion....
If you're looking for an explanation for your, what? I dunno.
Based on the results of your soil test, I don't think there's much else you need to do to amend the soil fertility. Nutrient levels don't need to be optimum (high). We're not harvesting a crop and hauling it off to the elevator. And tons of production don't really matter - that much. And forget the trace elements - although let's touch on them, if only briefly.

Phosphorous is never readily available from an application of fertilizer. In the soil, its the most tightly held element of all we discuss. A small percentage becomes available through mineralization caused by weathering. Again, for a food plot 10 -20 ppm (20 - 40 lb per acre) is adequate. The high side is double that. I see no reason for MAP. Get the nitrogen it supplies from some other source.

Your potassium is 145 lbs / acre or 73 ppm. An adequate level would be 150 - 250 ppm. The high side ranges from 250 - 800 ppm.

Calcium is on the low side at 700 lbs per acre, Magnesium is 180 lbs/acre or 90 ppm. I don't understand how those two can be that low with a pH of 6.6.
The CA adequate range is 1000 - 200 ppm and MG is 60 - 180. I guess the gypsum is to raise the CA. Ok. Well and good.

Sulfate needs to be 2 -10 ppm and you have 3. Good enough. Copper sulfate and zinc sulfate you could add, but, again, this is a food plot. If we were growing corn for production, then, maybe.

Adequate born is in the 0.5 - 2.0 ppm range. You are at 0.28 ppm. Borax is cheap.

If you are looking for a limiting factor, it's organic matter and/or the soil structure. You say the soil is very sandy? Your CEC ain't great (3.06), but I've seen worse.

Friends are dear and the best one's are hard to find. But, I'd find someone else to make nutrient recommendations....

And, one other thing - just one man's opinion again - a 6-inch soil sample is too deep. Four is what I do. The deeper you go, the worse the results. But, do have sandy soil. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Oh, here's my source for the ppm numbers...http://soils.tfrec.wsu.edu/webnutritiongood/soilprops/soilnutrientvalues.htm

I would like to get our foodplot checked.i live Lancaster county,pa. but the plot is in potter county,pa. where can I get the kits to get the tests done?

I would like to get our foodplot checked.i live Lancaster county,pa. but the plot is in potter county,pa. where can I get the kits to get the tests done?
this is about the cheapest I know of, and use same lab as rest that charge more LOL

http://www.plantbiologic.com/t-soil.aspx

thanks mrbb