Need Help with Erosion Control in Waterways

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
Last fall we completed a pond project and field clearing. The contractor used large RipRap for the water inlets and creation of a spillway out of the pond. We seeded and laid grass mats this spring - with all the rain the grass never established enough to control the water flow running from the ridge that feeds the pond and then the out flow spillway. We currently have about a 3 ft. gulley in certain sections of these water runs. The contractor is coming back in the next couple of weeks (if dry enough) to rebuild the inlets and outlet with an excavator. I have ordered three additional loads of the large RipRap . What I would like to know is what specific fescue or seed mix should I order to build a deep root mass. A specific seed name would be very helpful.

Thanks for the assistance!

QuackGrass Seed and Alsike Clover

Thanks for the suggestion - Will the deer eat the Alsike Clover? Also, the out flow waterway has a high sand content at the beginning but then leads into a damp black dirt area about 150 - 200 yards out.

Alsike and Quack will grow on substandard soil. But they are both weeds to me, Usable weeds when needed. Good Luck!

Thanks for the follow-up! At this point, my primary concern is controlling the erosion, I am not looking for sometime the deer will eat or mow down in the spring. Appreciate your help!

If you are looking for any waterside shrubs to plant in that area, consider button bush. In our area it grows right on the bank with its roots right at or in the waters edge and works very well for bank stabilization. Sandbar willow, red osier dogwood, highbush cranberry, and common ninebark are also used in the same way with good success.

You could also build a couple small catch dams on the steepest portion just to slow water flow.

If you are looking for any waterside shrubs to plant in that area, consider button bush. In our area it grows right on the bank with its roots right at or in the waters edge and works very well for bank stabilization. Sandbar willow, red osier dogwood, highbush cranberry, and common ninebark are also used in the same way with good success.

Set a culvert which ends your berm erosion. We have a culvert trap box and can raise or lower the pond 3 feet.

You could also build a couple small catch dams on the steepest portion just to slow water flow.

Many thanks for the suggestions!

I think shrubs would be very beneficial. I am considering buying a number of ninebark that shopko has on sale right now to plant in the outflow waterway. Does Red Osier Dogwood spread quickly or have more limited expansion. On the outflow, the erosion is taking place about 30 - 40 ft. from the end of riprap that makes up the spillway out of the pond. The soil is very sandy in that area. I am going to add more matting to hold the soil better - Do you think that would be a good place to plant shrubs? The pond berm itself has not been a problem - its about 20 ft. wide and is holding well and now has grass growing on it. Most of the erosion on the inflow is taking place about 40 ft. from the entrance to the pond, that's where the slope starts to drop about 25+ft. before entering the pond. I think this would be the right spot to create small catch dams with the added riprap. I going to the farm tomorrow - I will make note of possible improvements.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Update - I lucked out and was able to have the contractor complete the repair and improvements to the waterways yesterday. Ended up laying 4 loads of the large riprap in the two waterways and raise the outflow spillway to hold more water in the pond. I wasn't onsite and won't know what it looks like until Friday. Bought 300 ft of straw matting and a highway grass seed that supposedly has good erosion control. Also pickup a few Ninebark bushes at shopko. Hope this will do the trick. I'll post a few photo's when I get back.

Good luck with your project.....Hope you have better luck than I did. Our riprap spillway washed out twice and I finally ended pouring 41 yards of concrete! . Over 600 acre watershed flows through the pond. Depending on how much water flows over your spillway, you may be ok. I've got my fingers crossed for ya.

Good luck with your project.....Hope you have better luck than I did. Our riprap spillway washed out twice and I finally ended pouring 41 yards of concrete! . Over 600 acre watershed flows through the pond. Depending on how much water flows over your spillway, you may be ok. I've got my fingers crossed for ya.

Thanks for the good luck wish!- I am starting to think I should name this pond "On Golden Pond", that latest go around is costing about $2600. I'll keep the concrete idea in mind - may consider doing a little concrete pad where the slope drops at a greater angle. Thanks...;)

Sure thing. How big is the pond? Did you stock it? Pics?

Sure thing. How big is the pond? Did you stock it? Pics?

It's should be close to 1/2 acre once it fills to the new max height and should have a depth of about 14 - 16 ft down the center. Last year I started adding Fat Head Minnows. Been waiting for habitat improvements before stocking . Still unsure as to what to stock. It's between a Bluegill - Large Mouth Bass combo or Yellow Perch and Small Mouth Bass with a few Stripped Bass. I am not to familiar with fishing but have been learning via the PondBoss forum.

Stocking suggestions are welcomed - Thanks!...;)

Congratulations on your pond......sounds really nice! You're right on track with your stocking. Fatheads are a great start. If your water is warm, large mouth will do better than smallies.

Congratulations on your pond......sounds really nice! You're right on track with your stocking. Fatheads are a great start. If your water is warm, large mouth will do better than smallies.

Thanks for the info on the bass!

IMO

Pond= Largemouth Bass.

I cant see striped bass doing well in a pond. Catfish can be a fun addition especially if you have kids.

IMO

Pond= Largemouth Bass.

I cant see striped bass doing well in a pond. Catfish can be a fun addition especially if you have kids.

Thanks for the suggestions!! My wife favors Bluegills over Perch, so Large Mouth probably would be best for controlling their growth in numbers [I think]. I have a 12 year old son who would like to fish more. In June, we did a little trout fishing while on vacation in Colorado which he really enjoyed.

Thanks again!

I forgot to mention bluegill....great addition. They do well in my pond.

Hybrid Bluegill/Sunfish are commonly stocked with bass in ponds down here. The don't reproduce very well as 85%+ are males so stunting is less of any issue. But because of the lack of reproductivity, restocking is needed over time. And with bluegill offspring "feeding" your bass, fathead minnows or some other forage for bass must be well stocked.

Once I get my pond dug (maybe in 10-15 years) I want to do a smallmouth bass, yellow perch combo with a few walleyes thrown in as bonus fish. A lot of years to dream and plan though.

Hybrid Bluegill/Sunfish are commonly stocked with bass in ponds down here. The don't reproduce very well as 85%+ are males so stunting is less of any issue. But because of the lack of reproductivity, restocking is needed over time. And with bluegill offspring "feeding" your bass, fathead minnows or some other forage for bass must be well stocked.

Once I get ready to stock fish, I will probably buy them from Gollons Bait and Fish Farm in Dodgeville. I live near Madison with my farm in Jackson County - not aware of a closer/more convenient place to buy fish. Any suggestions?

Thanks!