Sorghum Screen Fail thoughts

Haven’t taken enough pictures but lets of my screen held up better than I thought they had or would. These pics are from December 12th. Reminder that this was drilled basically 50/50 NWW HD screen and Egyptian wheat.

Attachments

• 0D93E349-710E-4EC0-8FE7-D74147890F50.jpeg
    0D93E349-710E-4EC0-8FE7-D74147890F50.jpeg
    735.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 8E04C794-6FCB-43C6-9499-3CB15783E445.jpeg
    8E04C794-6FCB-43C6-9499-3CB15783E445.jpeg
    735.4 KB · Views: 20
I saw a very large screen area that used seeds from Northwoods Whitetails last summer. Did not know what it was when I saw it.....but was really impressed with what I saw. I got the name of the owner(MN Habitat - great guy) and finally called him today. He told me it was THIS seed from Northwoods Whitetails and described his experience and satisfaction with this product. Very impressive traits.

I need to order some of this and may perhaps blend some with some millet Sounds like the stand ability of this Sorgum variety is un-parralled. Grown in Texas......by a small outfit....is my understanding. Not cheap.....but affordable given it's purpose. The "structure" I saw was phenomenal....nothing quite like it. The cost is one reason I would like to blend it with millet.....but also for food value in winter. This stuff gets really tall.....and I'm not sure all the height is needed for my purposes......but if it will stand up through December......it is a winner in my book.
The guy I spoke with today......took a picture for me of his Northwoods Whitetail Sorghum plot.....as of today (year end). He said the drought really took it's toll on this crop and that he may adjust his seed rates next year. STILL.....he has a great stand going into winter. Said it was still 5 to 6 feet tall. Here is his pic from today.
20231229_152552.jpg

I saw a very large screen area that used seeds from Northwoods Whitetails last summer. Did not know what it was when I saw it.....but was really impressed with what I saw. I got the name of the owner(MN Habitat - great guy) and finally called him today. He told me it was THIS seed from Northwoods Whitetails and described his experience and satisfaction with this product. Very impressive traits.

I need to order some of this and may perhaps blend some with some millet Sounds like the stand ability of this Sorgum variety is un-parralled. Grown in Texas......by a small outfit....is my understanding. Not cheap.....but affordable given it's purpose. The "structure" I saw was phenomenal....nothing quite like it. The cost is one reason I would like to blend it with millet.....but also for food value in winter. This stuff gets really tall.....and I'm not sure all the height is needed for my purposes......but if it will stand up through December......it is a winner in my book.
What kind of millet?

What kind of millet?
I forgot. Have to do more research or find a better memory. lol. Got some ideas?

I forgot. Have to do more research or find a better memory. lol. Got some ideas?

-----------------------------------------------

Ideas?
Well, I can only pass on my own experience with three varieties: Japanese, Pearl (forage cultivar), and Brown.

Brown is good for birds....turkeys on down. Lotsa seeds, fine stems. I wouldn't plant it again on my dirt, though it grew well and yielded lotsa big heads. It got beaten down to the ground by November.

Japanese ....I grow it every year in a low area that can flood with heavy rains. I wouldn't be without it. Deer bed in it frequently. And when that low spot floods it is a magnet for mallards and geese. It grows near head high for me (5 to 6ft), produces a big seed-filled head. And lotsa and lotsa stuff eats it. All heads are gone by February. All gone. But leaves behind a 'grassy' spot for bedding...not dissimilar to switchgrass, tho not as thick. It is beaten down to the ground by April though.

Pearl.....I have grown only the forage type. I think it makes a good, cheap, screen. It looks a lot like corn in early stages. Gets to 6 to 7 ft on my ground with two shots of urea. It produces a long head that looks like a browned-down cattail head. (I've started selling some 24pc bundles to a neighbor in the 'floral' business as a fall-flavored decor piece. Ain't gettin' rich, but it is fun to see how she assemble it with her other stuff.) The forage type that I have planted I got from Merit in Ohio. But it produces very few seeds. I want the seed variety. Welters has agreed to bring in a bag for me to give it a shot in my 2024 plantings. We'll see. I will post progress and pics for the forum.
Here's a pic of the seed bearing variety (a big human food source in India and Asia. Just bird food in the US)
1704491513713.png

Just placed my order for some Northwoods Whitetail Screen seed. I'm quite impressed with that product. I think they sell out.....so time to pull the trigger on a few things.
I will likely blend some Sunn Hemp, Okra, Sorghum Sudan Grass and perhaps Pearl Millet into the mix. Maybe blend a bit of Egyptian Wheat too.

Food plot screening. A huge piece of the puzzle for any successful food plot program. Most seed companies have some version of a screen nowadays. And … See moreJohn Komp · Original audioJohn Komp · Original audioJohn Komp · Original audioJohn Komp · Reels · Dec 21 ·

Just placed my order for some Northwoods Whitetail Screen seed. I'm quite impressed with that product. I think they sell out.....so time to pull the trigger on a few things.
I will likely blend some Sunn Hemp, Okra, Sorghum Sudan Grass and perhaps Pearl Millet into the mix. Maybe blend a bit of Egyptian Wheat too.
I think they have a dealer in Brainerd, you can normally save a few nickels on shipping by purchasing through the local vendors, FYI.

I'm going to either drill or frost seed some NW chicory into my clover plots this spring.

I think they have a dealer in Brainerd, you can normally save a few nickels on shipping by purchasing through the local vendors, FYI.

I'm going to either drill or frost seed some NW chicory into my clover plots this spring.
I did not know of a dealer in Brainerd. Let me know if you get a name of the company. I did look at his dealer list.....and saw no dealer near me.. I figured he would sell out later in the season......and I am in AZ until mid May.

I did not know of a dealer in Brainerd. Let me know if you get a name of the company. I did look at his dealer list.....and saw no dealer near me.. I figured he would sell out later in the season......and I am in AZ until mid May.
Shoot, it was Bemidji, not Brainerd, my bad.

Says that B&D foods in Henning is a dealer, not sure if you ever make it out that way.

I'm looking to use the North Woods brand of Sorghum Sudan grass......and combine it with a mix of others to stretch the seed cost a bit and to provide some winter food......which is in short supply in my area. The objective is to 1. Provide a screen with fall stand-ability 2. Increase organic material. 3. Provide winter grazing

Here are the seeds and rates I cam considering as most valuable:
2 lbs / Acre NWW Sorghum Sudan Grass (This seed has shown to provide improved stand-ability into the winter)
2 lbs / Acre BMR Dwarf Sorghum Sudan Grass
3lbs / Acre Sunn Hemp
2.5. / Acre Jap Millet
2.5. / acre Brown Top Millet
1.0. / acre. Okra

I could add some additional seeds such as Barley, Oats, Radish, Med Red Clover, but wonder about diluting the mix too far on low-growing things.

Ideas or suggestions are welcome. I plan to plant a ten to 15 foot wide strip(s) of this in multiple locations.....with clover plots and or brassica on the other side(s).

Last edited: