Sorghum Screen Fail thoughts

Wind Gypsy

5 year old buck +
The area I intend to have the majority of my food plot acreage is highly exposed to 2 roads and a priority has been getting it screened off. I started planting spruce trees this spring but assumed i'd need to plant annual screens for years until the spruce grew enough. The NWW HD screen that i assumed would be easy to grow did not do well enough to be an effective screen for this hunting season and I'm trying to figure out if the soil is just not going to support a sorghum screen and I should abandon trying any further in the future. <- I'm going to ramble but the bolded in red is my primary purpose for this thread.

Some background:
-This is a poorly drained area that has been hay ground for years but I've not seen it have standing water other than in a briefly when we had heavy rains this spring.
-The field was/is largely made up of thick reed canary grass, some areas it is not too bad. The soil is also pretty rocky.
-This spring i mowed the grass then sprayed with gly once regrowth started. A week later i drilled the sorghum in and immediately sprayed with simazine after planting.
-I clearly didn't get a good kill on RCG and would have been better served by killing late fall to prep for this. There was a thick mat of "dead" RCG that was quite tough and had not decayed at all. That said, the areas where there is a good kill and pre-emergence control with simazine appear to be almost worse off than the areas with competition.
-This was my first planting with new drill and I was tight on time so i drilled quickly without getting all the bugs figured out on how get seed exactly where I wanted it
-I did see a fair bit sorghum browsed by deer when it was freshly emerging

Some pics below showing what things look like.

35D65B08-7A0F-4E18-9AB7-D582A64822C7.jpeg63DCFC41-E171-4EF7-AEFD-373C986B9C0E.jpeg

18CD4763-9BF2-405F-A9DC-DDAEAC56CBC8.jpeg

Some close ups of the leaves that might indicate part of the problem?
36A23352-8C87-41B4-A1D2-EC18D04CC742.jpeg611C9591-2A8D-471B-9850-C23EDD7CEE27.jpeg

Last edited:
Once the leaves drop on the alder/willow you won't have much screen effect. They will also take a number of years to grow and make not get to the height you need due to browsing.

A better short term approach would be to plant MG (mithcanthus gigantis). It will grow to 12'14' high in a few years and will stand up to snow and wind.

Last edited:
Once the leaves drop on the alser/willo you won't have much screen effect. They will also take a number of years to grow and make not get to the height you need due to browsing.

A better short term approach would be to plant MG (mithcanthus gigantis). It will grow to 12'14' high in a few years and will stand up to snow and wind.

I edited out the stuff about the willows and alders to keep the the post more focused. I'd love a MG screen but i've been led to believe it will not be hardy in my region and doesn't do well in poorly drained soils. If anyone has info to the contrary i'm all ears!

I edited out the stuff about the willows and alders to keep the the post more focused. I'd love a MG screen but i've been led to believe it will not be hardy in my region and doesn't do well in poorly drained soils. If anyone has info to the contrary i'm all ears!

If your able to have a food plot there, MG should also grow. Pretty inexpensive to try a couple 15'-20' sections. Regrading weather, we have been down -20 to -25 F for stretches with no negative impact on the MG.

Huh. Sounds familiar.

What are you trying to block? How tall does it need to be, and how long into the season does it need to last?

Is this sorghum grain or sorghum sudangrass?

We have planted both in multiple soil types. It's hard to mess up sorghum sudangrass. I can share some photos if you would like. We drill it in the same day we drill sorghum and soybeans. The unfertilized sorghum only gets to 4 feet or so. The unfertilized sorghum sudan gets to 10 or so feet and will stay above a deer's head until early spring. This is in Northern Missouri, so the season is a little longer, but I would 100% keep trying, but with the sudangrass.

The first photo below shows the difference in height between sudangrass (center) and sorghum (right). I'm standing in the bed of a utv.
The second photo is an access path to the stand with the sudangrass on the left. The third photo is a screen we were trying with the sudangrass to break up a wide open food plot.

Attachments

• PXL_20210906_124757905.jpg
    PXL_20210906_124757905.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20210906_125227880.jpg
    PXL_20210906_125227880.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20210906_122839864.jpg
    PXL_20210906_122839864.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 73
Is this sorghum grain or sorghum sudangrass?

We have planted both in multiple soil types. It's hard to mess up sorghum sudangrass. I can share some photos if you would like. We drill it in the same day we drill sorghum and soybeans. The unfertilized sorghum only gets to 4 feet or so. The unfertilized sorghum sudan gets to 10 or so feet and will stay above a deer's head until early spring. This is in Northern Missouri, so the season is a little longer, but I would 100% keep trying, but with the sudangrass.

The first photo below shows the difference in height between sudangrass (center) and sorghum (right). I'm standing in the bed of a utv.
The second photo is an access path to the stand with the sudangrass on the left. The third photo is a screen we were trying with the sudangrass to break up a wide open food plot.
It’s not grain sorghum. This is the product

When did you plant it? It took longer for me to grow than I thought it would.

What are you trying to block? How tall does it need to be, and how long into the season does it need to last?

Have never done the trigonometry to calc total height but I’d guess 7’+ tall and the long term solution ideally will last through December. I understand that isn’t always realistic with sorghum but I have a buddy who easily gets through rifle season with this same seed.

It’s not grain sorghum. This is the product
Based on the photos and the description in that link, they are using mostly sorghum sudangrass. Your photos look more like traditional sorghum with wider leaves and stems. I'm sure there is some sudangrass in there if they market it to get to 12 feet, but what has come up looks mostly like the grain types. Did you spray out any weeds prior to planting the plot screen? I wonder if it could be a planting depth issue. Sorghum grain seed is a little larger and may be able to push through residue better than the sudangrass.

I'd save the money and buy just straight sorghum sudangrass next year. It's what I have been doing to have a temporary screen until the miscanthus or the woody screens fill in.

I’m doing a screen next year. Granted I’m way south of you but I’m doing Egyptian wheat. I want to do MG but I’m not sure I have the patience

Have never done the trigonometry to calc total height but I’d guess 7’+ tall and the long term solution ideally will last through December. I understand that isn’t always realistic with sorghum but I have a buddy who easily gets through rifle season with this same seed.
What kind of spruce did you put in?

Based on the photos and the description in that link, they are using mostly sorghum sudangrass. Your photos look more like traditional sorghum with wider leaves and stems. I'm sure there is some sudangrass in there if they market it to get to 12 feet, but what has come up looks mostly like the grain types. Did you spray out any weeds prior to planting the plot screen? I wonder if it could be a planting depth issue. Sorghum grain seed is a little larger and may be able to push through residue better than the sudangrass.

I'd save the money and buy just straight sorghum sudangrass next year. It's what I have been doing to have a temporary screen until the miscanthus or the woody screens fill in.

The tallest stuff is 7’+ tall right now. I know a handful of people who swear by this stuff for standing well in MN winters. I assumed it was a planting or soil issue. I definitely didn’t do a good enough job really killing the RCG but I did spray it close to 2 weeks prior to planting IIRC.

This is what it looked like when I drilled.
BC960BA0-7214-4ABF-AA63-2B623058C40D.jpeg89AD6BFC-7821-45E2-8F37-AC702C4B1F8B.jpeg
This is the tallest of it, which also happens to be on the highest ground of the field. 1A937EEE-F806-4A14-B8F1-8FB88070F8AF.jpeg

BHS on one side, Norway on the other.
Did you hit it with some N?

Also prob needs 90-120 days to reach full height. I have some at three months just now reaching potential.

Grain sorghum will only 4'-5' in good soil. Sudan grass, hybrid grain sorghum, egyptian wheat will all fall over when the die back with heavy rain or snow.

Here is a stand of MG probably 10'11' tall. MG rhizomes spread and 50-100 stems per root ball.

1661547031505.jpeg

Did you hit it with some N?

Also prob needs 90-120 days to reach full height. I have some at three months just now reaching potential.
I did last night but even if it gets tall it’s not thick enough.

I agree with MG for long term. I planted 7 bags this year from Real World

It’s a 3 year process for a good screen imo.