Need fence post help!

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
All,
I started to install fence posts on our property for a horse. We are using electric fencing called horseguard. It is not your traditional fence tape (traditional tape sucks!). Anyways, it is similar to electric fence wire except it is much safer for horses. it is not considered hi-tensil and has a break force of 600lbs so it really does not strain the posts. Here is the issue...our pasture is on a mountain side which unfortunately has a lot of rock ledge underneath. My guess is many areas will be only like 2ft of soil until you hit ledge (I drilled some test holes and we were able to get to 3+ ft in a few spots but then in one particular area we ran into ledge at only 2ft depth). No fencing people want to come to our house because they are not interested into drilling into rock ledge for a lot of posts. They said, it wouldn't be a problem for a few posts but if they started hitting ledge in many areas then they would simply pack up and leave. So our option is, don't have a fence (which really isn't an option) OR in some areas of the pasture live with posts which are only 2ft deep. We live in NY so I heard the frost would eventually heave these posts and they would lean. Does this happen fast? Will I be fixing these posts every year or does it take a few years? Do you have any advice? We are doing 2 acres with 16ft spacing so about 95-100 posts if you include the corner and gate H-bracing posts which will be 8ft apart. Thanks!

Look up jack fencing or buck fencing. There are quite a few variations of this fencing but this might solve some issues where you can only get 2 feet. Then you could use your regular method for the areas you could get the depth on the post you want.

Is this horse going to serve any useful purpose? LOL. Sorry. I couldn’t resist.

Look up jack fencing or buck fencing. There are quite a few variations of this fencing but this might solve some issues where you can only get 2 feet. Then you could use your regular method for the areas you could get the depth on the post you want.
Thanks. Are those posts in the ground or set on top of the ground?

If we only went 2ft with regular posts would they start tipping over fast or would it take awhile?

Last edited:
dig to ledge, drill 3/4 hole in rock, epoxy t post at the location. if you can get to full 3 foot, don't worry.

dig to ledge, drill 3/4 hole in rock, epoxy t post at the location. if you can get to full 3 foot, don't worry.
Someone I know mentioned something similar but said dig to ledge, drill hole just big enough for rebar then drill hole in your post bottom and slide over rebar, then concrete the post where it is.

Is this horse going to serve any useful purpose? LOL. Sorry. I couldn’t resist.
THIS

you could shoot the horse...

:D