Question on Electric Fence set up

Binney59

A good 3 year old buck
Hi, I am planning on fencing two bean fields this year and am finalizing my supplies before this weekends installation. Plan is to run a 3-d set up with one outer strand and two inner strands.

I have enough T-posts with insulators along with enough fiberglass step in posts to go around both. I have poly tape for the outer layer and poly wire for both inner strands.

My questions are what I can use to connect my grounding rods to each other and to the fence charger? Would any wire work?

Also, can I use the fence wire or tape to connect the strands together or should I get more alligator clip connectors?

Lastly, does simply tying strands together work well enough when it is time to splice or are the connector clips I see online critical?
Thanks in advance!

Different tape may vary but I always just tie the tape together. For the grounding rods I just use a piece leftover house wire, a single piece of 14 or 16 ga wire and make sure your ground rods are deep!!

What do people use to connect the three different strands together (1 outer to 2 inner)? Should they be "bridged" together at more than one spot? Wouldn't think that would matter but this is a first for me.

I just use straight poly twine for the inner two strands. Only the outside tape is electric, and results in a great stand of beans.

I just use straight poly twine for the inner two strands. Only the outside tape is electric, and results in a great stand of beans.
Very interesting. If I am having issues with the bottom strand of the inside fence grounding out due to vegetation I will consider only running the top and outer tape hot. Thanks for the tip

Very interesting. If I am having issues with the bottom strand of the inside fence grounding out due to vegetation I will consider only running the top and outer tape hot. Thanks for the tip
Attached is a photo of the beans with just the outside tape being electic. Deer density is high in the area.20210819_083219.jpg

If the deer can or has reached your second row of fencing your fence has already failed in terms of its effectiveness, so no need to electrify it. They only need to associate any fence that looks like the above with a shock and then "realize" they cant jump the 1st one without hitting the second. Baiting the outside layer with peanut butter speeds up the learning curve .... 😉

If the deer can or has reached your second row of fencing your fence has already failed in terms of its effectiveness, so no need to electrify it. They only need to associate any fence that looks like the above with a shock and then "realize" they cant jump the 1st one without hitting the second. Baiting the outside layer with peanut butter speeds up the learning curve .... 😉
That makes perfect sense. I am wondering if I would be better off running flagging tape or something cheaper than poly wire on the inside since I wont be hot anyway? I ordered all the wire so I will probably just use it but this gives me something to think about! thanks for the insight