electric fencing of my orchard

chickenlittle

5 year old buck +
I planted an apple and pear orchard last spring. Given the density of the planting, I was more interested in surrounding it with an electric fence than caging each tree. The orchard is about 300ft x 150ft and presently has 80 trees and likely grow to twice that in a couple more years. I decided to go with the 2 row fence, usually done with the outer wire at 18" and inner wires at 10" and 24" and 3ft between the rows. That style fence is just a deterrent and you need a much larger fence to truly keep out deer. I added another wire to the inner row at 36" and rolled the dice.

The results haven't been too bad but still some anguish at seeing a few trees get damaged. Mid summer, a Honeycrisp I bought from Cummins had damage to the central leader. We reviewed the fence and thought the spacing between rows was too much in one area and corrected that. That Honeycrisp recovered nicely and I didn't see much damage until the last month. Several of my bench grafts got nipped. A few of my larger Cummins trees had limbs chewed on, including that Honeycrisp again, but none suffered damage to the central leaders.

I have placed cheap plastic mesh tubes over the central leaders of the big trees to protect those. My bench grafts have almost all been protected with a cage and that Honeycrisp got one too. About half my trees were bud grafted this summer and I have not done much for them, just a mesh tube around the base of some. If the deer want some of rootstock growth, that is available. We put up a couple cams and caught this guy munching on some Polish 18 leaves.
PICT0048.jpg

Since I have a bunch of little trees over the next few years, I decided we better upgrade the fence. A couple weeks ago a 2nd wire was added to the outer row and I think a 3rd will come. We started to add another wire to the inner row at 48" and might add another at 60". I'll have to replace the inner row fiberglass posts with T-Posts to support the extra wires. I probably should have done that to start with but I've been playing catch-up with these trees all summer. I might switch from the solar charger to a more powerful 110V supply. Maybe I should have caged the trees but it is really nice to be able to work on the trees without the cage, especially when working with the bench and bud grafted trees.

I would let that buck munch my trees!

Keep us posted how the upgraded fence works. I've struggled with individual cages and group enclourses. Never sure which is better / more cost effective.

Sent from my 8g phone.

I would let that buck munch my trees!

Keep us posted how the upgraded fence works. I've struggled with individual cages and group enclourses. Never sure which is better / more cost effective.

Sent from my 8g phone.

When i put in my first big orchard (25 trees) in 2012, i priced it out block enclosure vs individual cages. I found that for near standard sized trees like MM111 and B.118 using proper spacing 15-25' between rows and trees, individual cages were much cheaper when using concrete mesh. Concrete Mesh at Menards can be purchased for $75.99/150' role when on-sale. We have also found concrete mesh strong enough that we dont even use t-posts with it anymore, we just use 1 stake in the ground to hold the cage in place, and we havent' had any issues with deer pushing them around. We cut 10 cages out of 1 roll, that's about $7.50/tree cost. I'd love to see someone beat that price in a block enclosure, it cannot be done if you are buying materials IMO.

Last edited:
Concrete mesh has been consistently $107 here at home depot or lowes. I am not sure if I would go this route again but my additional cost to improve it is definitely less than switching to cages.

I know I couldn't pull that off

Trying to protect 80 plus trees with a wire here and a wire there is a pain , Get some large phone poles build a proper corner post 8 to 9 ft tall , install a fencer that is as big as you can find , put up 10 tensile wires bottom ground , shock them as hard as you can , once feeding starts they will be back again and again , you probably will not like the long term hassle of a cheap fence and years from now ( you cannot replace years , trees yes , years no ) will regret not having done it right and proper from the start. Remember you work at growing them all day and the deer eat all night , I understand caging a few on standard roots , unless your intent is 80 full size trees on standards .