Bears and Electric Fences

Thomasc19

A good 3 year old buck
Hi all,

I want to put up an electric food plot fence this year since I have such high deer density-Even my 2 acre clover plot was mowed to the ground-But I'm in Pennsylvania and have a good amount of bears traveling through my property every year

I'm going to avoid planting corn because I know bears will keep at the electric fence until it's down if there's corn inside of it

Has anyone had issues with fences for soybeans/milo/brassicas in bear country?

Thanks for any tips you have!

RCNX0692.jpeg

I have no E-fence info, but our camp is in NC Pa. mountains. We gave up on corn because the bears flattened the whole field (about 3/4 acre) while it was in the "milk" stage. It never got to be mature corn that deer could eat in the fall & winter. Like you, I doubt an E-fence would keep bears out. An acre of soybeans at our place never got taller than 5" before the deer ate them to the ground, so we gave up on beans too.

If your 2 acres of clover got mowed to the dirt, you must have a ton of deer! I'd say you need an E-fence. We plant about 6 to 7 acres of food plots - various clovers, brassicas, grain rye, winter wheat, chicory, oats - and it all survives, despite deer grazing, so we don't fence. I wish you luck with your plots / E-fence.