MO just approved Xbows.

^^^^^ I'll add that its a lot closer to 50/50 in my area.

UP---Sorry it should have been obvious by your title that you hunt in the UP of Michigan and that was an oversight on my part. We are all not as fortunate to hunt in an area like the UP with high deer numbers and multiple big bucks roaming the countryside.

Crossbows and any other weapon will make not a dent in the population in that area. I live in an area of average to low deer numbers therefore I am not afforded your luxury.

the deer numbers where I own my place is pretty high. My place is in Menominee county in the heart of the farm country has very high deer numbers and north of me the deer numbers are VERY low. The michigan DNR eliminated crossbow use after rifle season in the UP to not stress the deer numbers. The yarding area is extensive and I totally get it. The part that is baffling is I don't think it should be limited for bucks only does. But, if that is the law, so be it.

I know lots of people where the deer numbers are terrible further north.

Can anyone remember when P&Y and B&C would not recognize an animal taken with a compound bow? At least until the corporate advertisers reminded them of who is paying the bills.

This type of discussion can go on forever. Which is better, Ford or Chevy. Who's is longest. Who cares. We sound like Liberal Democrats trying to talk to staunch Republicans. If it's legal use it . If you don't like it, don't use it.

I, for one, will hunt with whatever I damned well please. If that rubs some people the wrong way, tough. Get over it. If you want to discuss facts, fine. If you want to just pull crap out of the air, I got better things to do. Think I'll go shoot my crossbow or clean the .50 cal squirrel gun.

And, by the way, I checked with our camp historian. Four of us have used crossbows on our property over the past five years. The four of us have harvested 13 deer. Thirteen passthroughs and all one shot kills, no losses. Over the 12 years we have owned the land, we have had 18 different people bowhunt the land. They have combined harvests of 57 deer. That includes about 9 youngsters. The 18 bowhunters have wounded a known 23 deer that were not found. And they missed at least twice that many. All with compounds. We only have 2 members who do not bowhunt. They have lost 3 deer, wounded with a rifle and not found.

I couldn't agree more. Hunt with whatever you like. As long as it's legal.

I'll be honest, a xbow kill will not mean as much to me as a vertical kill would. But that is my PERSONAL unit of measure. I really don't care what others do, as long as the law enforcement doesn't mind either :)

-John

.....................Antlered Antlerless Total
2015 Archery= 28809 18149 46958
2015 Crossbow= 18420 10473 28893
Success rate for each bow?
How many years has the crossbow been legal during the archery season?

One of the major proponents from the Wis. effort has moved to central Minnesota.

Success rate for each bow?
How many years has the crossbow been legal during the archery season?

One of the major proponents from the Wis. effort has moved to central Minnesota.
Don't know about success rates. 2014 was first year crossbows were legal for everyone in WI. I bet the house they become legal in MN within a few years.

.....................Antlered Antlerless Total
2015 Archery= 28809 18149 46958
2015 Crossbow= 18420 10473 28893

28,893 deer the first year of using crossbows. 18,420 bucks that is a lot! Most of the deer shot before the gun season, I am guessing?

I suppose you are right, I saw that crossbow harvest in your county (Waupaca) was 726 bucks this year...Wow

WI Archery Harvest 2000-2015. This includes crossbow #'s for 2014 and 2015 when they were legal for all to use.

2000- 86,799
2001- 83,120
2002- 54.133
2003- 95,607
2004- 103,572
2005- 78,450
2006- 113,918
2007- 116,010
2008- 99,284
2009- 87,241
2010- 83,833
2011- 90,200
2012- 94,267
2013- 87,628
2014- 81,701
2015- 75,851 (as of Nov. 15th)

WI Archery Harvest 2000-2015. This includes crossbow #'s for 2014 and 2015 when they were legal for all to use.

2000- 86,799
2001- 83,120
2002- 54.133
2003- 95,607
2004- 103,572
2005- 78,450
2006- 113,918
2007- 116,010
2008- 99,284
2009- 87,241
2010- 83,833
2011- 90,200
2012- 94,267
2013- 87,628
2014- 81,701
2015- 75,851 (as of Nov. 15th)

Certainly influenced in the high harvest years by EAB ...

Yikes 5 pages.

Maybe I should start a T.L. Ultimate bed thread :D

And smokeless ML er's :(

Maybe I should start a T.L. Ultimate bed thread :D

Are you talking about buck beds? I've heard of them, but never seen one?

Are you talking about buck beds? I've heard of them, but never seen one?

Yes but I'm talking about the ultimate ones. There very illusive.

We made one once and I have pictures! Came close to repeating the ultimate one this year but it was to warm to ultimately keep them all together.

If anyone doesn't get the ultimate part, this makes no sense :)

100_3228.jpg

Love It. I didn't understand until you posted the picture.

Love It. I didn't understand until you posted the picture.

No there is a habitat consultant out there who makes the "ultimate" everything. My pic is a spoof.
He is a very divisive kinda guy that usually brings about much arguing on these types of forums. Most guys either love him or hate him, passionatly.

Me, I stay out of it because I'd like to think I've got something to learn from anyone who makes a living designing habitat. He has an arrogant kinda personality and venimenytly believes his way is the best way. If ya can get by that he does have some good ideas. The key word is "some"

How did Xbows turn into a LaPratt thread?? Unreal. Do all roads lead to him?

How did Xbows turn into a LaPratt thread?? Unreal. Do all roads lead to him?

Uhh, cause both topics usually lead to arguing.

I got it, Bill....and it actually made me chuckle out loud.

For what it's worth, I think you summed up LaPratt quite well. I disagree with him on some stuff and can see how he may rub some the wrong way. I'm not too proud to admit he's taught me a few extremely valuable techniques and shaped how I approach this stuff, though. Heck, if you look at all the bigger names in consulting, at least 3 of them are nothing but a poor man's version of LaPratt, and all of us do things he did before we ever tried them.

Heck, if you look at all the bigger names in consulting, at least 3 of them are nothing but a poor man's version of LaPratt, and all of us do things he did before we ever tried them.

But do they have the cool french last name ?

I got it, Bill....and it actually made me chuckle out loud.

For what it's worth, I think you summed up LaPratt quite well. I disagree with him on some stuff and can see how he may rub some the wrong way. I'm not too proud to admit he's taught me a few extremely valuable techniques and shaped how I approach this stuff, though. Heck, if you look at all the bigger names in consulting, at least 3 of them are nothing but a poor man's version of LaPratt, and all of us do things he did before we ever tried them.

Well.. let's go in head first...

Is that true??? Is he really the pioneer of this buck bed stuff? seriously?? I guess I didn't know it was to that aspect of it. When I read his tree blinds are 20ft in the and hand built and you need to burn your box blinds. I was like WOW! I saw a property he designed that had a insane set up with I will call it a deer maze??? It was like a corn maze for deer in high grass. It was to keep the deer moving on the property. I personally think the micro food plot by the buck bedding area is a brilliant idea.

I personally never met the guy.. don't know him. But, I have never in my life heard more people up in arms over one dude. I would like to meet him just to check the box. I don't like what he did to a couple of guys over in Michigan when he tried to sue them. That was wrong, but if he is truly a pioneer in this field, he has definitely not left a legacy that would be considered untarnished, allegedly based upon my readings.