Miscanthus Giaganteus propagation from cuttings.

No you should see more tassels as they mature. Just wait until there three full seasons old. The silver to red seed head is my favorite part of the plant. Mine are just starting to throw them also.
Still learning the MG.....mine are just starting and look like the early stags of what shattercane or johnsongrass seed heads look like. The ones I transplanted from pots seem to be doing well so far.

Here's what they look like in March after several good snows.MG flop 2.JPG

Mine is just starting to tassel out.

LivktHB.jpg

5a57db504a6dfd2eb285f20b477937bd.jpg

Used my pole saw to measure my miscanthus height- it’s reached 9’ in one year. These are from rhizomes, so I’m curious what the cuttings planted next to them will do in one growing season next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

d1bd1ed5b33dcde97928e1a1b6c8f9e2.jpg

A view along the row- there’s about 40 plants (both rhizomes and cuttings) along about 80’.

d1bd1ed5b33dcde97928e1a1b6c8f9e2.jpg

A view along the row- there’s about 40 plants (both rhizomes and cuttings) along about 80’.

That is real good growth for the first year, I'm lucky to get 4-5' the first year.

Last edited:
That is real good growth for the first year, I'm luck to get 4-5' the first year.

Same here, KDdid that's unbelievable growth. They must really like thier new home.

It must be all the rain this summer. That spot stays pretty damp. And the two side dressings of urea sure didn’t hurt.

Did you have a strategy for weed control?

thanks,

bill

Did you have a strategy for weed control?

thanks,

bill

No, but I need one! I sprayed with gly before planting, but only the once. I’m planning to spray again in the spring before it wakes up, may burn the row to get the cool season grass to resprout just before I do. Now that it’s established I may hit it with 24d to get the broadleaf weeds and a couple of mulberry trees that showed up in it.

cbd6e98d6059f61a3641b29d1c83e2ca.jpg

Here’s what I like to see-one of my cuttings planted late summer with a single shoot has popped a couple of more shoots. Should be a thriving clump in about a year.

One of my MG screens, this was an after thought and over the years I've just added the left over rhizomes to extend it you can see the difference in height.

rOsqcJU.jpg

One of my MG screens, this was an after thought and over the years I've just added the left over rhizomes to extend it you can see the difference in height.

rOsqcJU.jpg

Scott are you doing any weed control on established MG stands?

Yep. That’s a walk.

I do not do any weed control after the initial burn down with gly when planting, I plant them and then they are on their own. I believe Bill uses atrizine or oust or something similar. I've wanted to try and spray gly in the spring before the MG takes off but I never have caught it in time, I'm sure you'll gain a year or two in growth at first if using some sort of weed control but it works without it also just takes longer.

i am interested in this question

2,4-D should be safe but anything else would seem problematic

i am spraying gly with simvazine this year at planting

.......afraid to try simvazine "over the top" of established stands

bill

i am interested in this question

2,4-D should be safe but anything else would seem problematic

i am spraying gly with simvazine this year at planting

.......afraid to try simvazine "over the top" of established stands

bill

Can’t speak for simazine but over sprayed atrazine and 2, 4-D right over emerged plants with no harm done.

^^^^thats first year. With a follow up pre emergent the second spring.
I haven’t worried about weed control after that. And probably didn’t need anything the second spring.

Does this stuff grow in the northland? Or is it more of a warm weather plant?

Does this stuff grow in the northland? Or is it more of a warm weather plant?
I know it grows good here in MI zone 5b, can't speak for anything north of here.