Miscanthus Giaganteus propagation from cuttings.

my thoughts on the 2 nodes doing better is simple, each node acts as a seal to the next, so the single node just dries out too fast and dies........

my thoughts on the 2 nodes doing better is simple, each node acts as a seal to the next, so the single node just dries out too fast and dies........
I would agree with that. All the ones I have messed with are 2 node....and the open ended ends dry out way faster.....

The remaining cuttings from June, 7 on right with obvious growth, some more than others, some roots, some new stems, some both. NO growth from single node cuttings.
20180716_133228.jpg

First batch that was planted20180716_141817.jpg
Some have new growth, some are growing from top, some from top and new growth, can not explain.

Here are the 3 were planted just last week...
20180716_142343.jpg

4 of the more vigorous from the first pic. Remaining will get one last week before potting.
20180716_142347.jpg

Surprising, of the ones from left, there was one that was growing "inside" the outer later of grass and had formed a fairly developed root. That is why growing UP the stalk.20180716_133800.jpg

I need to pot and plant mine soon.....maybe this weekend. I'll post an update on everything. The ones in water have good roots and the ones in the flower pot are doing OK as well. I will leave the ones in the flower pots and pot about another 30 or so. The rest I will direct plant and see what happens. Been dry around here so we will see.

Not much change in potted this yr crop. Here is 2nd yr growth in field. I am 6ft, growth is every bit of 6ft20180722_161534.jpg.

I put mine in pots this weekend as well as put some in the ground. The ones I planted last fall are doing fine, but are only 3 to 4 feet tall and a single stalk to two. I expect the ones in the pots to do better simply because they will get watered if needed. Those I put into the dirt.....maybe not so much! I will say I think I am running about 70% success on the stalks I just stuck into dirt. Its a small sample size so not sure it means much. I do know it is encouraging enough that I may try a larger direct planting of cuttings into the ground next year......but I will have to keep up on the watering as my soil drains well. I felt comfortable putting some into the dirt as we got an 1.5" of rain late in the week so hopefully that will help.
MG july 22 2018.jpg

These guys absolutely love water

I have a drip irrigation system on mine

Especially in texas heat of 108 degrees

bill

Managed to pot up 15 out of 40 surviving cuttings-definitely going to concentrate on the bottom two nodes next time, they are more aggressively growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy have the drought conditions hurt my Miscanthus in North MO. I planted in 2015 and the screen was much better in year 2 than is now after 2 very dry dummers. I had a few gaps in it from the original planting and replanted rhizomes in both 2017 and this spring and it seems both have essentially failed. Plus the rest of it just isn't filling it like it should. We need some serious moisture down there. Frustrating!!

MN slick, i had orderd hundreds of rhizomes, planted and had very poor success in seeing plants. Since taking and planting cuttings. Much better success rate. Having said that, here is my up date on the single node vs double node cuttings. Pic one shows only 2 single node cuttings left, the rest (from prior pic) were thrown out, just rotted and no sign of growth. As for the double node, 1 looks like it could be planted, the others, possible signs of life, but just no vigourous root development.20180730_130126.jpg
Here is the prior plantings, left is newest planted, right side is the oldest potted. a few on right over 2 feet tall.20180730_130219.jpg

What is the latest that I can take cuttings from a mother plant? Can I still do it this summer?
Thanks
Scott

What is the latest that I can take cuttings from a mother plant? Can I still do it this summer?
Thanks
Scott

Yes, but do not expect a lot of growth. your best opportunity would be to use cuttings nearest soil (lowest on stalk). They seem to take off the fastest. My origional 8 potted weeks ago more than 2 foot tall. while higher up pieces still not showing much sign of anything.

I'll have to try some cuttings next year. Right now the stalks are brown 1/2 way up the plant.

eb3d65fee3a0ea40eb496c748092ede4.jpg

The red solo cups are the cuttings that I potted up-growing fast!

If you inundate double joints/nodes .... you might get a 2-fer ..... better than staying at a Holiday Inn :-)Mis. Gia cuttingMG_1706-1.JPG

89123e846fba97e0e341506481407c6c.jpg

Transplant day! Here’s the cuttings that I started July 1st.
ff30ba7fd69f8485b4d1005206b8487d.jpg

I’m going to fill in gaps in this row planted in April.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over the holiday I transplanted my MG cuttings to their final home. Some things I learned in some experiments this year. #1 - not all cuttings will grow. Not sure why but of those I had far more failures than last year. Direct planting of cutting into the ground is fine....IF you can keep them watered. I planted a dozen or so into weed fabric and let mother nature take care of them. Only 1 survived. You can put cuttings directly into potting soil and they will grow just fine with adequate moisture.

My ones from last year are a single or double shoot and about 4 feet tall. The ones from this year are mostly a single shoot at about 2 feet tall.

I hope to reduce the competition from them and maybe even fertilize with some urea come spring and see if I can give them a boost. For right now, once they go intot he ground....they are on their own at my place.

OK - for the first time I have noticed the MG I have had in the ground for over a year seem to be growing a "tassel". I assume this is normal...... I have not seen this before and I actually expected the plant to be much taller than they are for this to happen. As I understand it the seeds will not have time to mature in our climate. Sorry - no pic.

OK - for the first time I have noticed the MG I have had in the ground for over a year seem to be growing a "tassel". I assume this is normal...... I have not seen this before and I actually expected the plant to be much taller than they are for this to happen. As I understand it the seeds will not have time to mature in our climate. Sorry - no pic.

No you should see more tassels as they mature. Just wait until there three full seasons old. The silver to red seed head is my favorite part of the plant. Mine are just starting to throw them also.