Maple Syrup Time

shawnv

5 year old buck +
Well, I'm finally going to tap a few of the large sugar maples by my house. The Weather is forecast for March looks to be favorable for production so we'll see how it goes. For anyone that makes their own, how do you store it until it's time to boil? I was thinking the 50 gallon cooler would be the ticket.

Well, I'm finally going to tap a few of the large sugar maples by my house. The Weather is forecast for March looks to be favorable for production so we'll see how it goes. For anyone that makes their own, how do you store it until it's time to boil? I was thinking the 50 gallon cooler would be the ticket.

Its been about 10 yrs since the last time i had a sugar operation....but when i was making syrup we had the sugar bush set up in 1 to 3 acre sections (arbitrarily designated by number of trees, slope and location of section on the property) where trees in each section were tapped into feeder lines and feeder lines from the trees were run to larger gathering lines which then were fed into plastic collection tanks (from 30-100 gal). This was all set up to flow using gravity. we mostly moved the sap from the collection tanks every few days or as they became full, which ever came first. from there we moved the sap into the "sap house" and began the filtering and evaporation process. Basically we didnt have much a storage time from tree to evaporator....and most storage time took place in the collection tanks out in the bush.

I dont think you would have a problem with the 50 gal cooler...just make sure you can easily move it to the evaporator...that would be a pretty heavy object to move.

Here is a link to a pretty decent amount of info on Maple syrup production from my former employer.....
http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/

I think Natty Bumpo runs a pretty good sized operation from what i recall....i'm sure he would have better information for you.

Sugaring was a great time...my grandfather used to sugar my land...i haven't gotten back into..hoping to change that one of these years. Enjoy and have fun!

I tap a half dozen silver maples in my yard and I usually end up with 2-3 gallons of finished syrup - I believe I usually need 75- 100 gallons of sap to end up with that much finished syrup. I store the sap in 5 gallon drinking water jugs and 20 gallon Tupperware totes with covers. I store them under a pine tree in my yard that keeps the sap shaded and there's typically still snow and ice under that tree until the syrup operation is completed. All winter long I blow the snow from my driveway under that pine tree so there's a massive pile that acts as a giant refrigerator for my sap storage. That works well for me.

Hey shawnv, yeah a 50 gallon cooler or container of some kind will work as long as you can keep it cool and in the shade. When I used to boil on an outdoor backyard rig I would burry my container in the snow in the shade. The sap was fine for a week. If temps. were low enough it would even keep for 2 weeks no problem. As Phil said, either be able to move the container or figure out how to get your sap to your evaporator.

My wife and I took our 2 sons out looking for sugar shacks when they were about 10 - 12 yrs. old. We drove around southern Tioga Co. Pa. on the backroads until we saw a cloud of steam coming from a big section of woods. We walked back to the shack and peering in, we couldn't see a thing - steam to the floor. I yelled inside and 2 men answered to " come on in. " A father in his 70's & a son in his 50's were boiling. After introducing ourselves and stating we wanted the boys to see how maple syrup was made, they told us to come in and they'd show the boys the whole process from tree to syrup cans.

They had a gravity system much like Phil described above, but with some outlying tanks that had to be brought in with a quad and wagon. Our sons got the whole lesson, from how to tap the trees, run the flexible lines, filtering the sap, to the evaporators and feeding the fire. Those men asked the boys if they'd hand some firewood to them while they fed the fires. Talk about puffed up !! They were HELPING !! And the capper was when they got to sample the warm syrup from a ladle hanging on the evaporator. The smell of the steam in there and the taste of the syrup hooked 2 new maple syrup lovers. Naturally we had to buy a gallon that day !! Pancakes, waffles, ice cream - all had a new meaning after that day !! We've kept in touch with that family ever since they were nice enough to show the next generation " how REAL maple syrup is made ". Some things should NEVER change.

My wife and I took our 2 sons out looking for sugar shacks when they were about 10 - 12 yrs. old. We drove around southern Tioga Co. Pa. on the backroads until we saw a cloud of steam coming from a big section of woods. We walked back to the shack and peering in, we couldn't see a thing - steam to the floor. I yelled inside and 2 men answered to " come on in. " A father in his 70's & a son in his 50's were boiling. After introducing ourselves and stating we wanted the boys to see how maple syrup was made, they told us to come in and they'd show the boys the whole process from tree to syrup cans.

They had a gravity system much like Phil described above, but with some outlying tanks that had to be brought in with a quad and wagon. Our sons got the whole lesson, from how to tap the trees, run the flexible lines, filtering the sap, to the evaporators and feeding the fire. Those men asked the boys if they'd hand some firewood to them while they fed the fires. Talk about puffed up !! They were HELPING !! And the capper was when they got to sample the warm syrup from a ladle hanging on the evaporator. The smell of the steam in there and the taste of the syrup hooked 2 new maple syrup lovers. Naturally we had to buy a gallon that day !! Pancakes, waffles, ice cream - all had a new meaning after that day !! We've kept in touch with that family ever since they were nice enough to show the next generation " how REAL maple syrup is made ". Some things should NEVER change.
my parents used to cringe when my grandfather would pour us off glass after glass of hot pre-syrup sugary goodness....my sister and I would be bouncing off the walls!

I'm hoping to make it a tradition with our family. Now I just need to make a boiler for it and I think I'm going to construct a large brick rocket stove for it.

Yessir, Phil - that's just what young kids need......... a dose of fresh sugar energy !!! LOL !! I could have had my 2 run home behind the truck !!:D

I'm hoping to make it a tradition with our family. Now I just need to make a boiler for it and I think I'm going to construct a large brick rocket stove for it.

It's a little more time consuming and less efficient, but you can still make syrup just using large pots. I have 3 large pots that I use to boil down around 100 gallons of sap every year. I can usually get it boiled down in one long weekend. The pots sit on steel fenceposts that are about 6" above a pit that I dug in the ground. It's pretty easy to get the 3 pots to a rolling boil and then you can spend the next day and a half slowly adding sap to the pots. I probably burn $300 of firewood to get $200 in syrup, but it's still pretty fun. I boil it down to about 4 or 5 gallons outside and then finish the boiling process on my stove inside where I can control the boiling rate more easily.

The weather forcast for this weekend looks to be right for tapping.

The weather forcast for this weekend looks to be right for tapping.

Sure does, I will be tapping tomorrow.

No sap running on my South Slope yet albeit I made a mistake and misidentified my tree (I have red maples) so I will need a little more sap to make some syrup. This weather sure has the eggs flowing from my chickens now though!

I tapped the 7 silver maples in my yard last weekend and the sap hasn't started flowing yet. It should really start flowing soon, but with the forecast I'm a little concerned that we'll go quickly from too cold for the sap to flow to too warm.

O.K. NH - since you're onto the food thing w/ squash........ I take acorn squash and cut in half top to bottom and scoop out seeds. Then I score the flesh inside the shell. I put a few dabs of butter in each half, drizzle maple syrup in there and sprinkle a little cinnamon or apple pie seasoning over the flesh and bake until squash is tender. You can also sprinkle a little brown sugar with syrup for a variation. Great side dish with ham or turkey.

I with both NH and BnB on the squash with maple syrup. I make a variation with sausage, stuffing, and maple syrup and brown sugar!

Not exactly sure how but out of 20 taps we didnt have more than an inch or so of juice in our buckets. It was like 55 in Kewaunee County yesterday and sunny from noon on for sure. I dont know that it got to freezing overnight though.
Hopefully it starts moving soon.

Good point NovemberForever. I am not a sap expert by any means but I do help out with the process. Did you have very little snow where your trees are located or are they in full sun? I wouldnt say our are in deep snow and now there is none. They are in pretty thin woods overall. Lots of sunlight in that little strip.

Also we tapped trees on saturday so they had 72 hours to get it going.

Hoping I'll see sap flowing when I get home in a couple hours.

Just stated to get sap today from one tree, maybe a quart.

Yeah not much by us today. Hopefully it will get there over the weekend. We were hoping to boil this weekend and move on to other things. Oh well