And this is why we are careful with fire…

Fire is scary for sure. We keep skid loader, 70 gal sprayer, backpack sprayer and tractor with disk handy when we burn. We’ve found found a good Stihl backpack blower with lots of eyes/helping hands most effective for keeping a fire from getting out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago I had peat burning underground just outside of my backyard. I never did any burning at all but I think maybe a spark from my excavator maybe caused it to catch fire. I was in that area doing some digging a few days before I saw any smoke and the excavator was doing a regen to burn the exhaust clean. During a regen the exhaust stack gets hotter than hell and runs like that for about 45 minutes before it's burned clean in the exhaust system. It's the only thing I could think of that may have started that peat on fire. It burned real slow and was smoking off and on for a few weeks but never really spread anywhere luckily.

I’ve burned a lot of pastures and brush piles over the years and had to call the fire department a time or two when things got out of hand. Last time the pasture fire jumped into cedar tops at my north line heading across the line towards the neighbors so I called to protect the cedars that semi act as a privacy screan between us more than anything hated to lose them.

Clover plot on the left and burned area on the right..it is recovering very fast IMG_0948.jpeg

Tmax,we sent 1 truck up to the lake area up there and they were there for 12 hrs. 4Wandering,I take it you are in a state that doesn't pay property taxes to the FD?Heck in Kansas the state can't even get dozers most likely.But I would say on the average 80 acres with a house you might pay 20.00 a year for fire dept.I know a couple of states you have subscription services also.