Lots of open WI land now closed.

I will 2nd that, they need to highlight the access points because I'd say half the landowners are not going to be overly cooperative and some will outright illegally harass you (I was on one piece this year).
I have experienced this ^^^ as well.

Not always, the amount one piece I hunted in BC was paid so much in a lease they took it out of the MFL program all together.
Oh, well in that case...................................:rolleyes: ;)

It sounds like the foresters in northern WI are more cooperative. The deer numbers are pretty low up there, so I don't think they get too many inquiries. I've asked about several properties this year with less than straightforward access and they answered the questions regarding access and in one case even called the landowner to ask how hunters should access the property since the original open parcel used as the access point was out of the program. The forester said that access is a requirement and he looked into it and quickly got back to me. I spend most of my time on the MFL properties grouse and duck hunting and you can never really have too many new spots when bird hunting which is why I always try to find a new property or two every year.

I can see a good 1,000+ acres from places I personally looked in the past that at are now gone. Western WI got hammered flipping land over to closed.

Thanks for posting this topic. The property the forester told me to access through a driveway with no trespassing signs is no longer in the program. I'll be hunting there this week and that might have been bad.

Need to just do WIHA walk in hunting area where the states pays them a lease to keep it open to public.One payment and no other options

Well it's a bad law but now it's time to move on.

Need to just do WIHA walk in hunting area where the states pays them a lease to keep it open to public.One payment and no other options
We have that it is called Voluntary Public Access, hardly anyone is signed up, at least in the 4 or 5 counties I hunt in.

Shawn, was the acreage that you "lost" primarily in private hands or was it a "commercial" owner?

When you guys hunt the open lands, do you contact the owner to ask where they would like for you to park and\or courtesy call to let them know you are hunting or do you just park on the shoulder and go in? I'm talking about private ownership where they have a residence adjacent to the open lands.

Any other precautions like printing the detail map that shows the land in open MFL?

I have tons of those detail maps printed, for multiple lands in multiple counties, I keep them in a 3-ring binder in the truck. I do not usually contact the landowner, because the few times I have, I got nothing but grief and bullsh!t from most of them. They ALL want the tax break on the backs of folks who pay full price for their acreage but don't like to follow the rules of public access if they wouldn't be forced to do so. I would guess that less than 5% of those in the MFL Open program actually don't mind having other folks use their property, the other 95% just want the free "ride" on their tax bills.

I just park and hunt, I do not talk to the landowners first. If the access point is through some odd easement, I make sure I keep a copy of the access instructions from the DNR forester on my phone. I can bring up the mfl program aerial photos on my phone on most places I hunt, so I typically don't mess around with aerial photos printed out any more. I've never had any issues with landowners or anyone else while hunting these properties.

Down to 5 40 acre parcels in the whole township. All by the same owner.

All of these angst is predicated on rec land(woods) being taxed@$60/acre vs ag@$5/acre yet its ok for the ag land to rent out or crp and "double dip".
NO! It is not, as I have stated MANY times in the past.The ag subsidies(allowing leases is similar to subsidizing the acres) are just as bad, but at least they are providing a viable product for the whole world, and those tax breaks are to keep the cost down for EVERYONE, not to provide someone with a discounted playground. And don't give me the BS about all the woodland owners would turn their places into pasture ground to get the ag tax break, go ahead, pasture all your prime deer properties and see how long the deer hunting stays good on those places.

Can't fault them at all, doesn't mean the whole system shouldn't be revised. Lots of waste and unjustified subsidies doled out each year.

When you guys hunt the open lands, do you contact the owner to ask where they would like for you to park and\or courtesy call to let them know you are hunting or do you just park on the shoulder and go in? I'm talking about private ownership where they have a residence adjacent to the open lands.

Any other precautions like printing the detail map that shows the land in open MFL?
I avoid MFL with the landowner living by it. If I do hunt it I have someone drop me off and walk in. The second someone thinks you are in there they will go for a "nature hike". The MFL's can be good, but can be a bust too.

Some facts with figures within the last two years for those that like to consider the broader picture or go where the money is without the deer blinders on. These numbers come from DNR studies not the specific industry trying to make their own case.

Just remember that MFL is a forestry program to promote availability of sustainable forest products for future generations. No short term anything about growing trees.

"Hunting is big business in WI". Not really, $2.5 billion/year for ALL hunting types.
"But tourism is a HUGE part of the WI economy". Sorry, big but not huge with ALL tourism related stuff $19.3 billion/yr.

Fact: WI is the #1 state in the US for paper products and wooden furniture
Fact: WI forests are 57% privately owned
Fact: Raw materials for WI forest products are supplied 64% from private land.

Fact: Forest related products impact the WI economy $24.7 billion/yr.

For those that are feeling sad cause those tax breaks are not helping me, me, me. It's ok. You probably are getting tax breaks by writing the interest off your home mortgage that the homeless are not enjoying. You can feel better by opening your home up to all, don't forget to restock the beer fridge once in awhile.

PS: For all those taking tax deductions on your kids, I wanna get some lawn mowing help this summer....

So in general if tax breaks that benefit a lot of people are maybe ok, guess in WI that definition extends to MFL also. Sorry if that contradicts your cherished beliefs.

Shawn, was the acreage that you "lost" primarily in private hands or was it a "commercial" owner?

Private

Some facts with figures within the last two years for those that like to consider the broader picture or go where the money is without the deer blinders on. These numbers come from DNR studies not the specific industry trying to make their own case.

Just remember that MFL is a forestry program to promote availability of sustainable forest products for future generations. No short term anything about growing trees.

"Hunting is big business in WI". Not really, $2.5 billion/year for ALL hunting types.
"But tourism is a HUGE part of the WI economy". Sorry, big but not huge with ALL tourism related stuff $19.3 billion/yr.

Fact: WI is the #1 state in the US for paper products and wooden furniture
Fact: WI forests are 57% privately owned
Fact: Raw materials for WI forest products are supplied 64% from private land.

Fact: Forest related products impact the WI economy $24.7 billion/yr.

For those that are feeling sad cause those tax breaks are not helping me, me, me. It's ok. You probably are getting tax breaks by writing the interest off your home mortgage that the homeless are not enjoying. You can feel better by opening your home up to all, don't forget to restock the beer fridge once in awhile.

PS: For all those taking tax deductions on your kids, I wanna get some lawn mowing help this summer....

So in general if tax breaks that benefit a lot of people are maybe ok, guess in WI that definition extends to MFL also. Sorry if that contradicts your cherished beliefs.

I think you are missing the point, I'm not debating tax breaks but whenever is a loss in available hunting land ever a good thing?

I think you are missing the point, I'm not debating tax breaks but whenever is a loss in available hunting land ever a good thing?

No, I'm not. I'm countering the "unless me, myself, and I get free deer hunting, MFL in any other form is a stupid and unfair thing" mentality posted by others. MFL is a forestry program, not a public hunting land program as it's primary focus and helps support a multi billion dollar industry to the state economy. I know that you did not start the post as such but more along the lines of a heads up that things change.

I also agree that it is unacceptable for those getting the biggest tax break with Open MFL to play games and put roadblocks in the way of public access/use. Maybe roadblocks isn't the right word, because they do have the right to prevent vehicle access. Call it being jerks.