X7Ds are in - Transferred from QDMA Forums

Sorry for all the posts guys...so the 5 cams I sent back each one of them is taking these pictures at night. They're not fog pictures...I've get those from time to time, these are different with white streaks in the photos and sometimes half the picture is completely white. BEC said possibly condensation? I'm not sure since I sent them all back in perhaps they were cleaned and that introduced some condensation that will get better? Should I put desiccation pack in or what? Anyone else seeing this? Daytime pics are perfect, just night time pics and cams are in same spots I wasn't getting fog before so I'm 100% certain this isn't fog. For instance, I got some fog pictures last night and they look completely different than these pics (from different cams that weren't sent in).
Quote:
==================================
Originally Posted by scrimshaw33
Sorry for all the posts guys...so the 5 cams I sent back each one of them is taking these pictures at night. They're not fog pictures...I've get those from time to time, these are different with white streaks in the photos and sometimes half the picture is completely white. BEC said possibly condensation? I'm not sure since I sent them all back in perhaps they were cleaned and that introduced some condensation that will get better? Should I put desiccation pack in or what? Anyone else seeing this? Daytime pics are perfect, just night time pics and cams are in same spots I wasn't getting fog before so I'm 100% certain this isn't fog. For instance, I got some fog pictures last night and they look completely different than these pics (from different cams that weren't sent in).
Scrim,
This doesn't look like condensation to me. It looks like the gain is set too high for the picture. The white speckling looks like Gaussian noise. I noticed a few years back that the Reconyx black flash does this compared to the Orion. It brightens the picture but introduces noise. The Orion actually takes two pictures for each trigger. The first picture is a low resolution picture that is analyzed by the firmware and used to adjust the camera parameters before taking the final picture at the user defined resolution. Both picture are taken in about 1/10th second.
I don't know if the X7D is using this technique or if it works more like the Reconyx. I would chalk those pictures up to the cost of black flash.
Generally condensation marred pictures have spot blurring. If the blurring occurs in different places in the picture over time, it is generally on the outside of the camera. If it continues to occur in the same spot in the picture for long periods, it is more likely inside. This doe not appear to be your issue to me.
Having said that, it is NEVER a bad idea to put a desiccant pack in your cameras.
Thanks,
Jack
Quote:
...However, my only point was that if you have the X7D which most people participating in this thread do and need a higher gain antenna then the links to antenna and cables will work. I guess to me it would seem there's not too many combinations of antennas you'd have to figure out to purchase anything from l-com...whether you want the 13 dbi antenna or just a mini-yagi, etc. There's only so many choices. Not taking anything away from BEC, just wanted to repost what you had already posted and if people want to save money then those combinations would probably work well for the X7D.
So, a guy has an X7D with a PC modem in his bedroom. It is only a 10' run out to the antenna. Does he use a 200 series cable or a 400 series cable? Does he loose too much signal if he uses 200 series? Does he violate FCC rules if he uses 400 series for that length? He has two cameras off to same side of the house both about 300 yards away. Should he use the 13 db antenna or is he better off with the 9db antenna and why?
If he can answer these kinds of questions himself or find someone who can, then an L-Com order will save him money. The issue is whether you "want the 13db yagi antenna", it is whether the 13db yagi is the right choice for your application.
If you can find someone who has done the engineering and you can match your application exactly to his, then order for L-Com and save some money. Just keep in mind that there are a LOT of variables here and someone has to do the engineering.
Don't get me wrong. I do buy my antennas and cables for L-com, but I am an engineer and I do my own engineering. I don't ask BEC to do the engineering of my network and then go by the components elsewhere. I'm not trying to drum up business for BEC. I simply want to make sure folks are well warned that this is fairly complex DYI. If you don't have the background or access to someone who does, you may spend more in fixing mistakes than you save.
I'm just suggesting that every individual weigh things out and make the choice that best fits their situation. This is not a one size fits all game.
Thanks,
Jack
Gotcha. What does that mean if the gain is set too high for the picture? The only thing I've done different is add the new 13 dbi antennas...hence your reason for not playing diy if you're not an engineer(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED). How long does a dessication pack last for you? Thanks.
Quote:
Gotcha. What does that mean if the gain is set too high for the picture? The only thing I've done different is add the new 13 dbi antennas...hence your reason for not playing diy if you're not an engineer(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED). How long does a dessication pack last for you? Thanks.
Different kind of gain. We are now inside the guts of the camera taking a picture. It is nothing you are doing. I don't believe there is any manual setting you can access. Down at the firmware level a gain value is being set. As I said in the previous post, I'm not sure how the X7D does this compared to the Orion.
You can think of gain as the volume control on your stereo. If you set it too low, you can't hear the music. If you set it too high, you get distortion and things don't sound as they should. In between those extremes you have a range that is usable. You change the volume based on conditions. If you are watching football in a roomful of noisy kids, you turn it up. If you wife is asleep next to you in bed, you turn it down (unless she snores in which case you turn it up).
The same holds true with a camera. If the gain is set too low, the picture is dark and you can't see the subject. The more you turn it up the brighter the picture gets. At some point you begin to get that speckling effect.
As for the desiccant packs, I'm still using the originals that came with my Orions. I did by some more on ebay that I just haven't gotten around to deploying yet. My Orions get very little moisture in them. They also have coated electronic boards. I don't know if the X7Ds have coated boards or not.
Thanks,
Jack
I'm not 100% sure that this is the issue with your camera, but that is the first thing that comes to mind after looking at the pictures you posted.

Thanks Jack; perhaps it was a fog or condensation issue as it seems to have gone away.
I have another question...I know you've said that it's always better to have as short of a cable or run as possible from antenna to camera...do you know how far you can practically run a cable from antenna to camera?
I have a spot I can't get line of sight and also a weak signal from woods to house where antenna is and didn't know if running a cable 200 feet from field edge to interior of woods to get good signal is too far?
Quote:
Thanks Jack; perhaps it was a fog or condensation issue as it seems to have gone away.
I have another question...I know you've said that it's always better to have as short of a cable or run as possible from antenna to camera...do you know how far you can practically run a cable from antenna to camera?
I have a spot I can't get line of sight and also a weak signal from woods to house where antenna is and didn't know if running a cable 200 feet from field edge to interior of woods to get good signal is too far?
Scrim,
There is no hard answer. It depend on the cable and your specific situation. With 400 series cable at 20 degrees C, you are loosing almost 4db with each hundred feet of cable. I use 50 and 75 foot runs with my orions in places and they work great, but the Orion is putting out more power to start with. It boils down to this: If you leave the antenna where you want the camera, I presume you are transmitting through some vegetation or other obstruction. So, you are getting signal loss from that obstruction. How much? I could only guess. Moving an antenna where you have LOS removes this loss but adds loss for the cable. Even if the loss from the cable is less than from the obstacle attenuation, but may not be "enough less" to close the link with the PC base.
The only way I can think to easily test something like that is to buy a variable attenuator. Place the camera at the LOS location and dial in the amount of attenuation you expect based on cable length and type and see if you can close the link.
My guess is the answer is that it won't work out for you. This is just a guess. The Orion has a higher powered radio and a much better signal meter. The X7D just says weak or good with no indication of how weak or how good.
I have not done much testing with the X7D radio yet. My X7D sits right under my PC base antenna. One day, I did do a little field testing. I drove around with the ATV and the X7D with a 3db yagi I had left over from an Orion. I pointed the yagi in the direction of the PC base antenna (Mounted high on an antenna mast above my PC base). The range was considerably less than with my Orions. Next, I went to my pipeline. I have an Orion connected to an 8db antenna with a 50' 400 series cable. The antenna is about 30' of the ground and it is on a high spot, but it does not have complete LOS to the base. It is looking through the tops of the pines. That Orion has a signal that ranges from Fair to Poor but it never looses connection with the PC base. That camera location is about 850 yards from the base as the crow flies. I disconnected the Orion and connected the X7D to that same antenna. The X7D could not close the link with the PC base. In fairness, the Both antennas are on the same mast at the PC base and the X7D antenna is about 3' lower. Both are 13db antennas pointed in the same direction. The path between either of those antennas and the camera antenna should be nearly identical in terms of obstacle attenuation from the pines.
That is all I can offer. My guess is that unless the weak signal is right on the ratty edge of being a good signal, you are going to be better off using another camera as a repeater.
Thanks,
Jack
Thanks Jack. I'm already using some 50' 400 series cables and they work fine with the 13 dbi antenna with the X7D. Sounds like I should use one as a repeater, I'll try that and see how it works. I might also try elevating my PC base antenna as I might have some interference due to orientation of camera in mention to house.
Quote:
Thanks Jack. I'm already using some 50' 400 series cables and they work fine with the 13 dbi antenna with the X7D. Sounds like I should use one as a repeater, I'll try that and see how it works. I might also try elevating my PC base antenna as I might have some interference due to orientation of camera in mention to house.
Yes, a 50' 400 series cable will work fine with the X7D and so will a 500' cable if the camera and base are close enough to each other. The point is that the camera only puts out so much power. That power is dissipated as it travels along a cable, through connectors, through the atmosphere and vegetation. If there is enough signal left when it gets to the base, you've closed the link.
So, it is not a matter of whether a certain length 400 series cable will "work" with the X7D. It is how well it will work in a particular application.
As far as elevating the antenna at the PC base goes, that can be helpful if it allows you to avoid vegetation or obstacles. In some cases a lower antenna may be better. For instance, if you have a thin stand of mature pines, you may be better transmitting at trunk level (given there are no terrain issues) than using a slightly higher antenna transmitting through the needles (which are mostly water). On the other hand, if you can get both antennas above the pines there is direct LOS, that is even better.
So, when looking at moving antennas, ask yourself it it will help you avoid objects keeping in mind some objects (pine needles) are much worse than others (wood).
Thanks,
Jack
Thanks Jack good explanation. Definitely didn't know that about the length of cable and application. House antenna is more issue of angle of house and interfering with signal from cam, so if I can get antenna up a little higher I can clear the other side of the house where it's blocking signal.
Can't hurt to try. Just keep in mind that depending on construction materials, your house may not really be blocking the signal even if it is directly in the path. Before you invest in moving the antenna permanently, see if there is a way you can try it first. It may not be possible depending on the location, but you might be surprised to see it makes little difference.
When I sent my X7D back to BEC, I removed the rubber ducky and put it on the kitchen counter. When I got the camera back last week, I didn't even open it, I just put the entire box in the vehicle so I would not forget to take it to the farm.
So, when I tried to set it up on Friday morning, I realized I didn't have the antenna. I ended up using the rubber ducky off the PC base. It actually worked out better because it has a joint and that let me cant the antenna slightly for a better fit in the particular location. You don't want to do this as a rule, but my camera is so close to the PC base antenna, the orientation loss isn't enough to impact performance.
When I powered up the camera, it was no longer registered. I presume this was do to the BEC testing. I had to unregister it from the PC base and then re-register it. It worked like a charm. The PC base software told me that it could not communicate with the camera to unregister it and asked if I wanted to remove the camera profile from the PC base database. I said yes. It was removed and I was then able to register the camera through the normal process.
Once I got the camera positioned where I wanted, everything worked fine. It has 1.8.4 firmware on it. For Friday and Saturday, it did not miss any triggers. The PIR is operating as expected so far. I can't yet say the firmware fix resolved the problem since it would sometimes take a week of operation or more for the issue to appear, but so far...so good...
Thanks,
Jack

Did you say rubber ducky?
Yes, that is what they call those short stubby rubber coated antennas that come on the X7D series: <http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=6088
Hey watch the rubber ducky's I have one that is coming apart. 'The rubber is separating from the base. Nothing some silicone wont fix.
I just set a 3 camera system up at the house today. Everything was updated to the latest software. So far 2 are churning along OK. The one that wouldn't fire past 10 feet still wont. Something is wrong inside I think.
I'm sending it back tomorrow.
I'll keep everyone posted on how the other 2 hang in there.
I arrived at the farm today and checked the cams. There are no indications that the X7D missed any pictures yet. A good sign... (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
While I'm reluctant in getting too excited as that's when things start to go wrong, the ones I had fixed are doing fine now. It really helps to just &quot;leave the cameras alone&quot; once you have them where you want them. I did a lot of moving around with my cams until I found out where they worked for transmission and recharge capabilities (via solar) and based on deer sightings. But, once you have them in that &quot;perfect&quot; location they seem to do pretty well. Still enjoying them and could never go back to SD cards and I still have a couple cams I have to dig out of some areas in heavy cover after deer season is over to send back (I have two only taking daytime pics)...but with the others so far so good especially fast transmission with the 13.1 dbi antennas.
Scrim,
I very rarely move cameras. I'm looking to use my data to make management decisions. The more things you can hold constant, the easier it is to see year to year trends. If I get less pictures this year than last, is it because there are less deer or because I moved my camera from point a to point b. There are lots of things you can't control, crop failure, mast crop, drought, area limbering, etc.
The more cameras I have in the same spot 24/7/365, year after year, the better I can see trends.
Thanks,
Jack
I'll say one thing, I've never seen customer service like BEC. the camera that wouldn't trigger is now hanging on my driveway. They fixed it and had it back in my hands in just days. Hardware issue.
I now have 3 in the yard that are humming away with no problems.
I'm amazed at the distance they trigger. One camera looks across the yard and then the driveway. A car will trigger it at over 60 yards. (180 Feet)
I doubt a deer would trigger that far but I'm still impressed.
Bill,
I frequently get pictures of deer at 60+ yards with my Orions. And I get them with very few false triggers. It would not surprise me if the X7D does as well.
All,
My X7D has now been running for several weeks with know known missed triggers. I believe BEC got the firmware issue fixed in the latest version.
Thanks,
Jack

anyone tried to buy one lately?
the site lists then as out of stock.
Still dreaming.. but didnt know when they may be available again..
my first purchase will likely be an impulse buy..
Bryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarrett
anyone tried to buy one lately?
the site lists then as out of stock.
Still dreaming.. but didnt know when they may be available again..
my first purchase will likely be an impulse buy..
Bryan
Look at the last page of the Reconyx thread for a discussion: <http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthrea...t=54079&amp;page=3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoderj@cox.net
Look at the last page of the Reconyx thread for a discussion: <http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthrea...t=54079&amp;page=3
Thanks!! who would have known to look the the Reconyx thread for an update on the Buckeye cams!!!!(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I appreciate the help..
Merry Christmas
Bryan
Sometimes we struggle to stay on topic (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Anyone know what the beta firmware 1.8.4 brings to the table?
Website shows latest available firmware to be 1.7.1 But Jack said his repaired cam came back with 1.8.4?? Hmmm. How were you able to update the other X7D cams in your system? Is it critical that they all operate with the same firmware version? I've been having issues with mine now that its gotten really cold. Lots of missed triggers, based on the tracks in the snow that show deer coming right in front of the cams! Not sure what to do. Batts are good, sensitivity is high, they manually trigger fine (that's how I know the tracks are there). But they've never been more quiet than over the past 3-4 days. Weird. Any suggestions??
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerske
Anyone know what the beta firmware 1.8.4 brings to the table?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUS
Website shows latest available firmware to be 1.7.1 But Jack said his repaired cam came back with 1.8.4?? Hmmm. How were you able to update the other X7D cams in your system? Is it critical that they all operate with the same firmware version? I've been having issues with mine now that its gotten really cold. Lots of missed triggers, based on the tracks in the snow that show deer coming right in front of the cams! Not sure what to do. Batts are good, sensitivity is high, they manually trigger fine (that's how I know the tracks are there). But they've never been more quiet than over the past 3-4 days. Weird. Any suggestions??
Version 1.8.4 is available on the BEC web site as a &quot;beta&quot; :<http://www.buckeyecam.com/index.php/...indows-updates
They told me that my PIR issue was a firmware code bug as I had originally suspected. My guess is that because the PIR issue was so bad that they wanted to provide a fix as soon as possible. I presume they rushed 1.8.4 without full ended to end testing so folks experiencing the issue could get it resolved ASAP and marked 1.8.4 as a beta because it was not fully tested.
If it were me, If I had an older version of the firmware and was not having issues, I would not update it. If I had the version released just previous to 1.8.4 and was having the PIR issue I would upgrade to 1.8.4. I presume we will soon see a full release of 1.8.4. or subsequent version.
Thanks,
Jack
How do you know when they come out with firmware updates? Do they send out notifications or do you just check their website from time to time?
You can periodically check their website where the firmware updates are located.
Two things I wish BEC would do with respect to the X7D CM:
1) Send out a notification to everyone who joins there Team BuckeyeCam club. They have the email addresses and use them for marketing. Why not use them for CM. Or at least use the email list from the product registration to send out update notices.
2) Maintain a publicly accessible change list for each firmware upgrade. Maintaining a change list is standard CM practice. Why not make the list public for users. They do it for the Orion. I used the change list for the Orion a lot to decide if I wanted to make an upgrade and when.
Thanks,
Jack
Makes sense to me...have you mentioned this to Sean?
This is no big deal but thought I'd share. It's a 13.1 dbi antenna which has made a world of difference for my system of cams running with my PC base. Can truly reach out and touch some one with these antennas. I basically attached the antenna to a 2x6 and then use two rachet straps (I love those things use them for so many things in deer hunting) at top and bottom of antenna on 2x6 to attach 25+ feet up in a tree (using very long ladder). This way I can rotate the antenna if it's not where I want it without having to completely unscrew the antenna and I can move it easily if I want to. Disadvantage: I will have to loosen straps once a year with growth of tree.
Quote:
Makes sense to me...have you mentioned this to Sean?
Yes, I suggested it in an email a few months back. I think they are so buzy working out the kinks that they haven't had time to think about it.
Quote:
This is no big deal but thought I'd share. It's a 13.1 dbi antenna which has made a world of difference for my system of cams running with my PC base. Can truly reach out and touch some one with these antennas. I basically attached the antenna to a 2x6 and then use two rachet straps (I love those things use them for so many things in deer hunting) at top and bottom of antenna on 2x6 to attach 25+ feet up in a tree (using very long ladder). This way I can rotate the antenna if it's not where I want it without having to completely unscrew the antenna and I can move it easily if I want to. Disadvantage: I will have to loosen straps once a year with growth of tree.
Great idea if you are moving cameras around and attaching them to trees!
Very true Jack...re. attaching to trees. I'd much rather prefer a non-growing platform to mount to but trees are an instant pole and work well so far. I make sure to leave plenty of slack and in all cases so far have about 30 feet of extra cable for tree growth.

Jack I forget what method you said you used to lock down your cams that are in spots prone to theft? I've got some areas coming up that I'll need to do that. I thought I remember you using bike chain and concrete somehow. Is there a chain out there that truly can't be cut or a lock?
Quote:
Jack I forget what method you said you used to lock down your cams that are in spots prone to theft? I've got some areas coming up that I'll need to do that. I thought I remember you using bike chain and concrete somehow. Is there a chain out there that truly can't be cut or a lock?
Nothing is immune from theft if the thief is determined enough. My idea was to make them use tools that are too big to practically carry in and use. I may have gone overboard, but we were having some real issues when we first got started including a barn break-in with an ATV theft.
Check out this thread for details: <http://www.qrgc-forums.org/QRGC_Foru...l-Cameras.aspx
Here is a quick summary:
I used 8&quot; cement forms with rebar surrounding a 4x4 post. About 3 feet of cement was in the ground and about 3' out. I used a very heavy duty motorcycle hex chain threaded through the rebar along with shrouded locks made for it. I used this to lock the BEC Titan boxes to the cement post. I believe the Titan box is made by Swivelsafe. It is very heavy duty. It is designed to make it hard get a set of bolt cutters to a lock.
Part of this was to protect the camera from thieves, but part was to send the message: &quot;I am willing to put a lot of resources into protecting my property and will go to great lengths to see that you are caught and prosecuted&quot;. I wanted to have the effect of things looking very heavy duty.
It took us about 5 years with constant vigilance and prosecutions, but trespass is now minimal and theft is zero. I'm using significantly less security with my cameras these days.
I'm not sure if BEC sells a Titan equivalent for the X7D. Mine is at camp and I don't have a box for it.
Thanks,
Jack
Thanks Jack, they do sell the boxes, I have them for mine. Is there a particular lock you used to lock up the box? The hole for locking is pretty small and I can find a lock that will fit it but not one that can't be cut easily. They make the security boxes for the X7D cam as well as the cellular base. And as far as the concrete forms did you use the paper ones or find some that have metal and if so where do you get those?
I used these to lock the titan box itself: <http://www.masterlock.com/products/p..._details/187XD
I would have preferred something more secure, but I was limited by the physical size of the box shroud. These are easy to use because the bolt retracts when you turn the key.
I used a version of this: <http://www.treefortbikes.com/home#na...22338551___144
to secure the box to the cement base. I believe the version I used was 44&quot; instead of 63&quot; and was a bit less expensive. It used the same 12mm hex chain. This lock is shrouded and you really can't get to it with a bolt cutter. It has special keys, not your normal key.
One hint. It is easy to loose keys. I tried to plan ahead and order them in groups that are keyed alike. This saves trying to find the right key.
Thanks Jack exactly what I needed.
I didn't take any pictures, but I got some nice plastic bins that are pretty large with wheels on them from Lowe's Home Improvement and I labeled all my cell base and corresponding cams, antennas, batteries, solar panels, etc. and put them all in a separate bin to store over the winter and Spring. I still keep my cams up around the house but have a few cell bases and corresponding cams that I use for my leased properties or properties I have permission to hunt for free. I figure why keep them out in the elements if I don't have to. I organized them nicely and labeled them with a silver permanent marker. More than anything else the bins will be great to carry out to the leased properties/hunting sites and make it very easy to set them up rather than do as I did before and carry each individual item separately from my truck to cam destination. Can't wait to get the cams back out next year to capture some new deer...already looking forward to next season!

Has anyone with the Z7D cams run into this problem...
You have your Z7D cams paired/registered to the PC Base computer.
The base computer dies...
You attempt to pair/register the cams to the new PC Base computer...
Since the cams are registered to the old non-existent PC Base, you can't register with the new base.
What am I missing? I can't find a cam menu prompt to unregister and re-register to a new PC Base. Additionally, my cams can see the new PC Base but indicates the base is out of range even though the cams/base are approx. 4 feet apart.
Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Has anyone with the Z7D cams run into this problem...

You have your Z7D cams paired/registered to the PC Base computer.
The base computer dies...
You attempt to pair/register the cams to the new PC Base computer...
Since the cams are registered to the old non-existent PC Base, you can't register with the new base.
What am I missing? I can't find a cam menu prompt to unregister and re-register to a new PC Base. Additionally, my cams can see the new PC Base but indicates the base is out of range even though the cams/base are approx. 4 feet apart.
Thanks in advance!
Yes but I'm not in fromt of my cameras and don't remember the exact method. on the camera hold down the next and change buttons simultaneously or the change and enter buttons. A menu will come up that you can follow to unlink the cam from the old base.
Sorry Blazin,
I got to a camera and that won't do it.
I had to do this a few months ago and called buckeye. The tech said push ???
I did it with him on the phone and it worked perfectly. I didn't write it down(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) and now I can repeat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billb66
Sorry Blazin,
I got to a camera and that won't do it.
I had to do this a few months ago and called buckeye. The tech said push ???
I did it with him on the phone and it worked perfectly. I didn't write it down(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) and now I can repeat it.
No problem....thanks for letting me know that there IS A WAY to do it! Someone will remember how.
In the mean time, I will just start holding buttons (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Your awesome bud!
It didn't take long (2 minutes) to find a button combination that worked.
I am back in business....thanks alot!(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Press &quot;NEXT and CHANGE&quot; at the same time when you're on the &quot;routed to base&quot; or &quot;routed to camera x&quot; screen on the camera.
Worked on 4 of my cams so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinPond
In the mean time, I will just start holding buttons (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Been doing the for a half hour. Now it's eating at me (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Scrim,
Don't put them in boxes for the winter.
Gotta love the time lapse feature. Wish I could focus the thing.
Here is 2 weeks of hourly pictures crammed into 20 seconds.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rent=20sec.mp4
Awesome time lapse.
Quote:
Scrim,
Don't put them in boxes for the winter.
Gotta love the time lapse feature. Wish I could focus the thing.
Here is 2 weeks of hourly pictures crammed into 20 seconds.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rent=20sec.mp4
Bill,
Not to get too far off topic, but what kind of cuttings were those and what were you using to start them?
I ask because I decided to try starting some elderberries from cuttings and they are not working out too well (just learning as I go). I just tried some persimmon cuttings. Here is the thread: <http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54641
Just want to learn about alternative methods for starting cuttings.
Thanks,
Jack
any idea what the differences are between the x7d and the new x80???
other than price..
I am still trying to decide what to do.. and my biggest issue is the number of cameras I need to really just monitor for security... before I can justify buying one for the deer..
I figure I need 13-15 units..
I am searching for other options.. but dont seem to be finding many...
Bryan
Quote:
any idea what the differences are between the x7d and the new x80???
other than price..
I am still trying to decide what to do.. and my biggest issue is the number of cameras I need to really just monitor for security... before I can justify buying one for the deer..
I figure I need 13-15 units..
I am searching for other options.. but dont seem to be finding many...
Bryan
This is off the web site:
<i>&quot;There are now two X Series camera systems available. The only real difference is distance The X7Ds are rated out to 1 mile and the X80s are rated out to 2 miles!&quot;</i>
Keep in mind these are theoretical maximum distances for the radios not practical distances. For comparison, the Orion is operating with a 5 mile radio. Practical distances for me on a rolling pine farm is less than a mile with high gain antennas.
Quote:
This is off the web site:
<i>&quot;There are now two X Series camera systems available. The only real difference is distance The X7Ds are rated out to 1 mile and the X80s are rated out to 2 miles!&quot;</i>
Keep in mind these are theoretical maximum distances for the radios not practical distances. For comparison, the Orion is operating with a 5 mile radio. Practical distances for me on a rolling pine farm is less than a mile with high gain antennas.
what is practical distance for the x7d with stock antennas.. I am not highly tech savy.....
i have rolling farm land too..
was kinda planning on at least a 1/2 mile...
Bryan
Quote:
what is practical distance for the x7d with stock antennas.. I am not highly tech savy.....
i have rolling farm land too..
was kinda planning on at least a 1/2 mile...
Bryan
You can't transmit through ground at all. Much depends on the vegetation. These radios operate in the 900 mhz band. These signals don't bend much and are significantly attenuated by water. Pine trees are essentially water and are much worse than hardwoods. If you have line-of-sight between the two antennas, 1/2 mile should work fine. You are not going to go through a half mile of pines. If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you will find others talking about how far they are going in different situations. Keep in mind that these cameras also have a &quot;repeater&quot; or router function so you can hop further cameras back to the base.
I can't give you any hands-on advice related to the X7D in particular. I only have one of them that I'm using for testing and it is not in the field, but close to the base monitoring the front gate. My field network is Orion and I have a lot of experience with it.

Jack,
I posted some information on your other thread.
Bryan,
I have gotten good signal at .95 miles with one of my cameras. Basically from a hill top with little vegetation in between it and the base. I have a base antenna mounted on my roof. I do know they will only transmit with line of sight. Line of sight here meaning, if there were no trees you could see the base antenna. As jack says they will transmit through some timber. They will not transmit through the earth or a metal building.
My barn gave me a dead spot.
Bill,
Thanks for the post. It was helpful!
Bryan,
In order for me to use the Orions on the pine farm I had to do several things:
1) Build some tall antenna masts to get above much of the pine attenuation.
2) Use high gain antennas (a combination of yagi and omni depending on the specific camera use).
3) Use the &quot;repeater&quot; routing function for cameras that are further away.
4) Add large solar panels to the router cameras to compensate for the power consumption associated with routing from multiple other cameras.
Thanks,
Jack
My heads spinning...just saw the thread pick back up and saw where someone posted there's a NEW Buckeye cam out...dang! That was quick.
Seems like all the &quot;kinks&quot; weren't quite yet out of the X7Ds and now they have a new camera, the X80D: <http://shop.buckeyecam.com/store/pro...cat=276&amp;page=1
Jack, can you explain to us what the difference is? Sounds like the 80D transmits further, what exactly does that mean as far as how is that done...what's in the X80 D that's not in the X7D, and why would you not be able to operate a X80 D off the same PC base as a X7D PC base? Looks like the Cell Base works for either the X7D or X80D according to the website. I always thought transmission distance was more a function of your antenna rather than the cam itself or whatever's in it.
For what it's worth and for people following the thread, there's a $200 difference in cams and a $100 difference in PC bases if you upgrade to the X80D. So far I haven't not been able to do anything I've wanted (i.e. get pics where I want them) due to the X7D, so for me have no reason to upgrade if I get a new cam...although if I did get another cell base at some point I might get the 80D for kicks.
Interesting. Can't keep up with technology!
Scrim,
I'm up to my butt in other project right now and have not had a chance to email Sean about the new X80. I had not even heard about it till the post above triggered me to check the site. They show &quot;out of stock&quot;, so this may be a placeholder for a camera to come.
According to the web site the only difference is the radio. That makes sense to me. The Orion is designed with a plug-in board that is the radio. Without the board, it is an Apollo. When you add the radio, it becomes an Orion. I don't know this for sure because I have not opened my X7D, but I presume the radio is a daughter card like the Orion.
The radios they are using are commercial radios sold to OEMs. When BEC came out with the X7D, the push seemed to be reducing price and the cost of the high power radio was a factor. The X80 may be an acknowledgement that they went a bit too far in reducing both price and performance. I think a 2 mile radio is better balance.
Let me stress that I don't know if they are using a higher power version of the same radio or if it is a different radio operating on a different frequency with a different protocol. If I had to guess...AND THIS IS JUST A GUESS... I would think if they had the option, they would use a higher power version of the same radio. This could consume more power depending on how smart the radio is thus reducing battery life. I would sacrifice battery consumption for more power because I can always beef up batteries and solar panel the way I use cameras. That may not be true for everyone.
IF and repeat IF they are using a higher power version of the same radio, one could operate both X7Ds and X80s off the same base. Since I see they have an X80 base, you would probably want to use that (I presume they have it because it has higher transmit power or they are using a completely different radio in which case you can't operate both off the same base).
I'll try to connect with BEC as soon as I find time to take a breath. If anyone else hears details, please let us know.
As for working out the kinks, because the radio is likely just a daughter card, all of the firmware and PC base software work that they have done would apply to the X80. It would not be starting from scratch like the X7D was.
Thanks,
Jack
I had a chance to swap a few emails with Sean. Here is what I found out about the X80:
- It uses a different radio than the X7D and Orion, not a higher power version of the same radio. This means you will need a different base to operate X80 systems than X7D systems.
- You can operate Orion, X7D, and X80 systems simultaneously in the same area with out RF interference issues.
- BEC has not yet modified the PC base software so that a consumer can easily connect to more than one modem, so for now you can't run X7Ds and X80s on the same computer. In my opinion this is not a huge deal and I would guess they will eventually set things up so you can easily run both the X7D and X80 modems on the same computer.
Hope this helps,
Jack
I have to say that I'm glad that I held off on the X7D and only bought one for testing. I'm very happy with the camera performance compared to the Orion. In my situation, the higher power radios have a clear advantage. One other thing I really like about the X-series is the fact that it is a 12-volt system. This provides a lot more options for solar panels and batteries for repeaters without the inefficiency of converting from 12 volts to 6 volts.
I have a 45 watt panel set up with my Orion main repeater but I have to convert from 12 volts down to 6 volts. When I originally constructed the setup, I did not know how much margin I would have. I'm charging a 12-volt wheel chair type AGM battery with the panel and converting that down to 7.5 volts to charge the 6-Volt battery in the Orion. I had to get a controller with a light timer because the loss associated with the conversion would drain the 12 volt battery faster than the panels could charge it. I now only charge for a few hours a day, but that is enough to keep the Orion battery fully charged.
The other lesson I learned was that with 45 watt panels and a reasonably clear view of the sky, there is no need to make the panels have an adjustable angle. Again, not knowing the margin, I setup my panels so I could reorient them for Winter, Summer and Spring/Fall.
There should be no need for any of this with the X-series.
Now that the radio power is increased for the X80, it makes them more attractive for my application.
Once again, I'm assuming here, but BEC offered an upgrade for the Apollo to simply add the daughter card for the radio and convert it to an Orion. If the X-series design uses the same design concept, it would not surprise me to see them offer this in the future providing conversion of an X7D to an X80. I have not seen this on the web site, but it would seem reasonable. It would also protect the investment of the early adopters of the X7D.
Thanks,
Jack
I hope they offer an upgrade. If they would have told me nine months ago that they were coming out with a 4 wheel drive I wouldn't have bought a 2 wheel drive.

Quote:
I hope they offer an upgrade. If they would have told me nine months ago that they were coming out with a 4 wheel drive I wouldn't have bought a 2 wheel drive.
thats my delemia.. close to begin buying.. now WHICH ONE!!!
and that I figure I need at least 13.. probably more to get what I need..
Bryan
What does your terrain, vegetation, and base location look like compared to your potential camera locations?
Quote:
thats my delemia..
I just received a reply e-mail from Buckeye. The upgrade is available for the X7D and base but you have to send the camera (s) back to them.
I don't mind sending them in, glad to know 2 miles is available.
Quote:
What does your terrain, vegetation, and base location look like compared to your potential camera locations?
Rolling hills..
mix of hardwood trees. few cedars. no pines..
i think elevation change is max 200 feet from highest to lowest point..
Straight line farthest point from where I can get internet access is 8450 feet..
in my mind.. means I need cameras on each ridge to relay ,,
Bryan
Quote:
Rolling hills..
mix of hardwood trees. few cedars. no pines..
i think elevation change is max 200 feet from highest to lowest point..
Straight line farthest point from where I can get internet access is 8450 feet..
in my mind.. means I need cameras on each ridge to relay ,,
Bryan
If the ridge tops that you have to go over are mid way between the terminal cams and the base, you may be able to get away with the X7D. Keep in mind you may need an antenna tower for the repeater depending on how flat the ridge top is. You can't broadcast through solid ground at these frequencies regardless of the power of the transmitter.
Having said that, if it was me, I would opt for the X80. Why? You can easily spend $200 on high gain antennas and 400 series cable to make an X7D equivalent to an X80 in broadcast range and if it doesn't work in your application, you are sitting on an antenna and cable that goes unused. If an X80 doesn't quite cut it in your situation, you can always add the antennas to it to push it further.
Thanks,
Jack
Quote:
I just received a reply e-mail from Buckeye. The upgrade is available for the X7D and base but you have to send the camera (s) back to them.
I don't mind sending them in, glad to know 2 miles is available.
In the early days of the Apollo they offered a field upgrade kit, but I think too may customers were a bit fat fingered and so they started doing the upgrade in-house.
It makes sense that they are offering the upgrade. Without an upgrade path like this customers would be encouraged to wait to see if an X90 comes out in another 6 months. Showing customers that their investment won't be completely mate obsolete by the next model.
Thanks,
Jack
Jack,
thanks for the help.. and the suggestions..
is there a way to know before I buy and try to set up how far to expect a signal to transmit thru woods? I assume winter time with be better than summer, so would I be better off waiting till after spring green up to set the cameras up?
I am also facing a set up where each camera from the base would have to be in a position to be a repeater as well meaning progressively more power requirements the closer to camp I get as they would be sending more and more pics.. How did you choose your locations for your camera?
by best signal strength.. or by deer usage then build what ever necessary to make that site work??
did they say when the x 80 were going to be available?
thanks
bryan
Quote:
Jack,
thanks for the help.. and the suggestions..
is there a way to know before I buy and try to set up how far to expect a signal to transmit thru woods? I assume winter time with be better than summer, so would I be better off waiting till after spring green up to set the cameras up?
I am also facing a set up where each camera from the base would have to be in a position to be a repeater as well meaning progressively more power requirements the closer to camp I get as they would be sending more and more pics.. How did you choose your locations for your camera?
by best signal strength.. or by deer usage then build what ever necessary to make that site work??
did they say when the x 80 were going to be available?
thanks
bryan
Bryan,
I have not tried to cascade repeaters. It is possible, but as you say the more pictures that move through a camera the more power that is consumed.
First, I'm starting with the Orions which use 5 mile radios. The first thing I did was a site survey. I set up my PC base and then took a 10' antenna mast and put a small 3db yagi on it. I drove around my property with an ATV measuring signal strength. That gave me a base level of capability. I found that although the signal was weak, I could connect to the base from the center of the property on top of a knoll through the pines. That spot was on a pipeline, so I had line of sight to the property boundries goning north/south from there. Also, I had a road running from my base camp east fairly straight. I found I could go much further because the signal followed that road will little attenuation.
So, I decided to build a tower with a high gain omnidirectional antenna on the top of the knoll in the center of the property. I placed another repeater camera along that trail running to the east. It only routes a single camera and uses the normal solar panel. The one on the pipeline has the big solar panel setup I talked about above.
For the terminal camera locations, I mostly chose small food plots less than 1/2 acre in size. They are small enough that I get daytime activity and even mature bucks use them at night.
I tested the camera at each location before deciding what kind of tower/antenna setup to use.
You can see a lot of details in this thread: <http://www.qrgc-forums.org/QRGC_Foru...l-Cameras.aspx
Winter is better in terms of signal levels for places without pines but it is harder on batteries.
Hope this helps,
Jack
Quote:
Bryan,
\
You can see a lot of details in this thread: <http://www.qrgc-forums.org/QRGC_Foru...l-Cameras.aspx
Winter is better in terms of signal levels for places without pines but it is harder on batteries.
Hope this helps,
Jack
Your towers are impressive and show you are much more tech savy than I am. .
however, large transmission towers do not assist me in my need for security cameras..
so.. how do you hide the cameras.. and antenas.. with a super large solar pannel and a battery ... to catch tresspassers..??
Bryan

I don't hide the ones with the big antenna masts. In fact I do just the opposite. I used heavy duty security measures on some of them as you can see in the link and further back on this thread. The idea was to send a message that I'm dead serious and you will be prosecuted.
Having said that, not all of my cameras are like that. Also, if you are having a particular issue of trespass, those big setups can be used as a &quot;block&quot;. Just like a bedded doe decoy that is not moving will cause deer to circle 20 to 30 yards behind it looking to see what possible danger she is looking at without exposing themselves positioning them for a bow shot, trespassers will keep their distance from such a large setup but their attention will be focused on it. Another camera aimed at catching trespassers can be nearby with a small antenna and no solar panel and relayed through that large setup. They will never notice the second camera even if it is not super well hidden.
Having said that, I've had less sophisticated trespassers simply walk right past even these big setups completely oblivious.
Also keep in mind that vegetation is much less of an issue when you have a tall tower like that. For instance, if I have to antennas at deer level and 300 yards of young pines between them, the have to transmit through 300 yards of pines (water). If one of the antennas is 40 feet off the ground, there may only be 30 yards of pines needles between the two antennas. So, many of my cameras that are going through a repeater are using the stock antenna and a small solar panel.
I've said this before. While the cameras are pretty plug and play, RF transmission is quite complicated. Figuring out where you can put cameras and what if any additional equipment like antennas, cable runs, etc will work in a particular environment is not easy for the layman. Trial and error can get expensive.
I don't want to discourage you because once setup, these things do a great job, but you need to know going in that depending on your terrain and vegetation, it can be a challenge.
One thing you have going for you is a lack of pines.
Whatever you decide to do, don't go in for 13 cameras at once. Take it a step at a time. Buy a single camera and a base (X7D or X80, you choose). Move that camera around. You can even hook the base to a laptop and drive around with it. Map out your property like that. With a friend and a cell phone you can check out signal levels in your situation pretty quickly. Next, get a higher gain directional antenna or two and repeat the process. That should let you help choose locations for cameras and repeaters before you spend the money for 13 cams.
By the way when I asked in a previous post about the location of your base relative to your cams, it is not just distance, vegetation, and terrain, but also direction. A PC base located in the center of your terminal cameras or repeaters would use a different kind of antenna than one located on one side of all the cameras and repeaters. The same is true for a repeater.
Thanks,
Jack
jack..
sorry I missed the purpose of asking for location..
My camp is located largely to the east side of my property. camp is on a hill.. but every camera near the base would be coming up a large hill to get to the base.
I have considered the options of a cell base in more of the geographic center as compared to the PC base.. Still just looking at options.
I cant plan to buy all 13 at once.. but want to make sure I can do what I want with reasonable odds of success before I commit..
part of that process is making sure I understand what I actually need to do to get it set up properly..
I agree with your thoughts that an obvious presence is a great hint to people I am serious about gathering information.. I however, havent had great success gaining cooperation from the local Game warden in making a case..
here is a map showing some of the locations. the yellow stars are all higher ground... the green are mostly lower ground .. which happen to be were I want the cameras for deer..
Do you have a scale for the pic and contour lines would help as well.
Quote:
Do you have a scale for the pic and contour lines would help as well.
how do I enable contour lines on google earth.. cant seem to find it..
here is the best I know how to do..
Bryan, that visualization does help. Here is what I would do. First, presuming you have Internet access (and even if you just have power there), I would use a PC base at camp. You can use a high gain yagi since all of the other cameras are in one direction. I think you could even use a 13 db antenna and it would have enough beam-width to catch everything. Put it on a mast that gets it above tree top level if possible.
Next, on the ridge road I would put a single repeater camera with a 6 db omini directional antenna also on mast above tree level if possible. We use an omni here because it needs gain on one side to reach the cameras west of the ridge and gain on the other to reach the base.
For all of the other cameras, I would start with stock antennas. If the signal levels are low, you can add small 6 db yagi antennas. For cameras east of the ridge, point them toward camp. For cameras west of the ridge point them at the repeater.
Given that the dark green trees I see are hardwoods not pines, it looks to me as though the X-series will fit you. If it were me, I'd wait for the X80 to be sure, but I think even the X7D will work in your situation.
If you have question on my base choice just ask because I'm making some assumptions.
Thanks,
Jack
I dont have a choice but to wait.. I called today to talk to buckeye.. all cameras are on back order till mid march..
so x7d and x 80 are unavailable till then..
thanks for the input jack..
Bryan
Anyone interested in trading their X7D for an XIR Orion in excellent condition?
Email rec'd today from Buckeye that for $100, they'll upgrade X7D's to X80 specs. Does anyone have both types of camera systems and can say that the X80 is definitely better than X7D??
...yeah if you go to their website you can buy a x7d for 699, and upgrade it for a 100 so you can get it for 799, but their also asking 899 for the x80d FYI....doesn't make sense
Quote:
...yeah if you go to their website you can buy a x7d for 699, and upgrade it for a 100 so you can get it for 799, but their also asking 899 for the x80d FYI....doesn't make sense
Scrim,
I believe the only difference is that the X80 has a higher power radio than the X7D has plugged in. I believe they just swap radios. My guess this is BECs way have saying thank-you to existing customers who invested in the X7D. We early adopters of the X7D put up with the growing pains as the firmware was solidifying. Unlike the low end camera companies, I think a much higher percentage of BECs business is from repeat customers.
My guess is that this $100 upgrade offer is temporary. They are essentially giving us early adopters an opportunity to upgrade to the X80 at a discount. Yes, it looks like someone could buy an X7D and the upgrade for less than an X80 but it probably doesn't hurt them if a few new users take advantage of this. It is like a sale. I would expect to see the upgrade price to eventually go up so this $100 gap goes away.
This is just my best guess at the logic.
Thanks,
Jack
Actually looks like they changed it...now their website says the X80D is $799 discount price and $899 market price. So whether you upgrade or buy it new it's the same price for now.
Last year I noticed that if you bought the solar panel as an add on when checking out on their online page it was $25 more expensive than buying it separate.
Also keep in mind if you do upgrade your camera from an X7D to X80D, it looks like you'll also have to upgrade your PC base, which I'm assuming will cost you around $100 more.

Quote:
Also keep in mind if you do upgrade your camera from an X7D to X80D, it looks like you'll also have to upgrade your PC base, which I'm assuming will cost you around $100 more.
Yes, that is correct. I decided to give it a go since I only have one cam. This radio upgrade won't quite give me Orion transmission capabilities, but it will be significantly closer then the X7D. Once I move it from the current security application I'll need the distance. I tested the X7D at different locations on my property one day. I'll take the X80 to the same spots once I get it and see what differences I get.
My 4 camera system is in for upgrade now. I was told that the $100 upgrade will only last until they start actually shipping X80's then it will be $200.
I assume the current discount is for pre production orders and it will go up once in production. That is just a guess though.
I pulled mine today and plan to send it in this week.
Pd for my upgrade tonight...sending in 4 cams and one PC base tomorrow.
I look forward to hear what the experience others have with the upgrade results.
Thanks
Likewise here.....just sent in my cams for the upgrade as well. Hoping for a jump in range!
Interesting. I guess I don't really have any reason too as I've got mine located all over my property and get fine results so not sure it's worth spending the money on an upgrade (for me).
They turned mine around in about a week. I still haven't taken them out of the box. I won't get to test for about 2 weeks. I wish the X7 and X8 worked on the same frequency. I only have a few cams that need more than a mile.
But it's all, none or 2 different PC bases so I upgraded.
Just got the email, mine is on the way back. I should have it when I head back to the farm next weekend.
UPS says they dropped my cam off at my house today. I just downloaded the latest version of the PC base software so I should be ready to do some testing with the X80 this weekend (snow permitting).
I also got the email that my 4 cams and PC base is enroute back to MN today.
Expected delivery this Thursday. Quick turnaround...
Thanks Jack, let us know how it does and compares.
I got my X80 upgraded camera back and took it to the property for testing today. I first installed the latest PC base software since I was running an older version. Next I installed the drivers and network management software that came on the CD they sent.
When I went to boot the camera, it hung. I then realized that someone had left an SD card in it. I don't think it was mine , so I guess it was one of the BEC testers. I removed it and the camera booted fine.
It was not recognized as the same camera as prior to the upgrade. I had to unregister that camera. Of course since the camera didn't respond, I said &quot;yes&quot; to the remove question. With the PC software empty, I hit add camera and BEC worked its magic.
I then used the PC base to disable the PIR before heading out to do my RF testing. This was very convenient since I didn't have to deal with the camera constantly taking pictures.
I used the same test setup as I did with the pre-upgraded X7D. I used a 6db yagi on a 5' mast (the standard antenna that comes with the Orion). I drove around and pointed the yagi back at camp (where I have a 13 db yagi) and took readings.
First, I need to rant a bit about the lack of a signal meter on both the camera and base. Yes, I know they want to dumb it down a bit, but three levels, Good, Weak, and No Communications is not very helpful. This especially true when trying to setup a permanent camera with a yagi and want to watch a signal meter as you rotate the antenna to get the best signal possible. Ok, done with the rant and back to testing.
I moved from the base in a direction with some but little pine tree blockage. With the X7D, I lost all communication with the base at a little over 2/10 of a mile. Withe the upgraded X7D, I had a reading of Good at 6/10 mile in that same direction. I then turned north. This kept me at approximately the same 6/10 mile distance but significantly increased the pine blockage. By 1/10 of a mile north, the signal level dropped to weak and by 2/10 I had no communications.
I then went back to my pipeline which is closer to the PC base but has more pine blockage issues.
Through significant blockage, where the X7D gave me a weak signal at between two and three tenths of a mile, the X80 gave me a reading of Good. Through even more blockage, were I had not signal with the X7D at 4/10 of a mile, the X80 gave me a weak signal.
Finally I tested the most important thing to me. Through even more significant blockage at 1/2 mile, I had no communications with the base using the X80. This is the location central to my property along a pipeline with plenty of light where I have an Orion with a 6db omni antenna on a 35' mast. When I disconnected this antenna from the Orion and hooked it the X7D pre-upgrade, I had no communications. When I connected it to the upgraded X80, I got a Good signal reading.
This allows me to resurrect my upgrade plans. When my current security application is complete, I will move the X80 to this location and put is a very large solar panel so it has perpetual power. I will then make it the main router for all future X80 cameras. Each new camera I buy will be an X80 unless I start to see reliability issues. I will then replace my Orion cameras currently near the center of my property with an X80 routed through this camera. They will all likely be able to use standard antennas and solar panels. I will move the Orion cameras to more distant location that are not currently being covered.
Let me finish with my rant just pointing out that the lack of a true signal meter at both the camera and PC base sorely needed by the X80 series.
Thanks,
Jack
Has anyone else deployed the X80 yet? Are your results similar to mine?
Literally just pulled into my place. I'll be playing with 4 cameras sometime this week. I'll report back.
Thanks for the update Jack. Sounds like then that it's worth the upgrade in your opinion.
Quote:
Thanks for the update Jack. Sounds like then that it's worth the upgrade in your opinion.
It is clearly worth the upgrade for my application. That may not be true for everyone. It will save me between three and four thousand dollars. It will let me use existing infrastructure rather than building a new tower at a different location.
It may or may not be worth it for others depending on distances, terrain, and vegetation between the nodes in their system.
For me it is a slam dunk. I am now planning my next expansion to use the X80, but it won't take place for a while. Until then, I'll continue to watch reports from others. If reliability looks questionable, I can always add Orions instead.
Thanks,
Jack

OK officially I'm with Jack on this one. We need a signal meter not just Good signal, low signal and no signal. I managed to get a camera set up 1.7 miles from the base. It read &quot;good&quot; with the rubber ducky antenna. I put a 45 DB gain Yagi on it just because.
When I got back to base and triggered the cam it got lousy transmission time. Like 0.1
I went back to it and called my brother on the cell phone, who was at the base. We managed to direct the antenna so I'm now getting 2.5KB transmission times.
I'm very happy with the X80 upgrade and the distance I'm getting. Good stuff!(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
But it would be nice to be able to set these up alone with a signal meter.
cam.jpg
A real signal meter on the camera (similar to the Orion) would be a great first step. However, for the long run, a signal meter is needed at the PC base. This feature is available on the Orion. When you request a battery check from the PC base software, it reports both battery and signal strength.
Why is the meter on the PC base important? You don't really use it to set up a camera because you typically point your base antenna (if using a yagi) at some middle point of a cluster of cameras and you don't have any directional control of an omni. So for setup, the meter on the camera is sufficient.
Where it really comes into play is maintaining your network. You can sit at your base an look at signal levels under different environmental conditions. You get a feel for the range of signal levels for a given camera. Watching signal levels over time lets me know when I have an issue. A sudden drop could be a rodent chewing partially through a cable (I've had it happen). A slower drop of the average range for a particular camera over time could indicate vegetative growth beginning to impact connectivity (young pines growing up).
All this allows time for inspection of acute events like a cable interruption or wind blown antenna as well as time to plan antenna upgrades.
I have found the signal meter on the Orion PC base a very useful long-term tool, however, the most important thing is a real meter on the camera.
Thanks,
Jack
Battery life in my X8Ds seems to be very poor. Anyone else experiencing poor battery life?
Quote:
Battery life in my X8Ds seems to be very poor. Anyone else experiencing poor battery life?
Mine has perpetual power so it is not an issue for me yet. What do you mean by poor? With wireless, battery life is generally more related to transmission than it is to picture acquisition. For my field cameras (these are all Orion right now), I use solar panels and balance the programming so the battery acts as a buffer. One thing many folks do realize is that poor signal levels contribute to power consumption.
For my X80, I purchases the largest ah battery that would physically fit in the box. I believe it was 9ah. I have not deployed it without permanent power attached so I can't speak specifically to the power consumption of the X-series.
I'd like to hear with others have experienced.
Thanks,
Jack

Quote:
Mine has perpetual power so it is not an issue for me yet. What do you mean by poor? With wireless, battery life is generally more related to transmission than it is to picture acquisition. For my field cameras (these are all Orion right now), I use solar panels and balance the programming so the battery acts as a buffer. One thing many folks do realize is that poor signal levels contribute to power consumption.
For my X80, I purchases the largest ah battery that would physically fit in the box. I believe it was 9ah. I have not deployed it without permanent power attached so I can't speak specifically to the power consumption of the X-series.
I'd like to hear with others have experienced.
Thanks,
Jack
Mine are very close to my PC base (direct line of sight, less then 200 yards). I just have them out for testing. As X7Ds, the battery life was great (a month or more with tons of day and night pics). Not even getting half that now. I need to do some more testing to be certain, but that's what it looks like, unless my batteries have suddenly gone bad.
Thanks for the report. This does not surprise me and may be a temporary growing pain. The radio has twice the range of the X7D and thus likely consumes more power. This could be either be simply a function of the new radio, or (hopefully) a function of the way it is controlled. Many communication protocols have automatic power adjustment negotiation built in. I'm not sure what protocol the X80 is using. Basically, the radios on each end establish a connection and look at Bit Error Rate. If it is low, they reduce power until it begins to rise and then boost power a bit until it drops to a low level.
It is possible that this could be improved with a firmware update. Be sure to report this to BEC. Thanks for reporting it here as well. If anyone else sees this issue, let us know. I won't experience it until my camera goes to the field.
Thanks,
jack
Quote:
Are you using a solar panel or just charging at home and replacing?
Can't speak for long term but today at around 5 PM I will have had a camera out for 5 full days. It is 1.7 Miles from the base, it has taken 355 pictures and the battery has yet to read below 100%.
I do have the solar panel hooked up to recharge it though. Also because of the distance I have it set up to take low res pics. 720 HD I believe. I'll kick that up and see.
We'll see in a month.
Quote:
Are you using a solar panel or just charging at home and replacing?
Can't speak for long term but today at around 5 PM I will have had a camera out for 5 full days. It is 1.7 Miles from the base, it has taken 355 pictures and the battery has yet to read below 100%.
I do have the solar panel hooked up to recharge it though. Also because of the distance I have it set up to take low res pics. 720 HD I believe. I'll kick that up and see.
We'll see in a month.
No solar panel.
Good news - I contacted BuckEye Cam about the poor battery life issue. They are aware of it. Here is their response:
<i>It will be a firmware update, But the engineer has not released it yet, It should be out this week. The new firmware should be 1.9.? when it comes out.</i>
Lucky guess! (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Looks like the software and firmware updates are posted. I have them installed and will post my experiences. Hopefully battery life is much improved. (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Just got my cameras back from BEC for the X80 upgrade. Took a little less than 10 days with shipping, weekends and such included. Reasonable turnaround time for me on 10 cameras with base. Customer service great as usual.
I'll report back on performance including distance, battery life and such. Having used them for over a year I have a pretty good understanding of the distance limitations I had with the X7D. Hopefully the upgrade costs were worth it.
If I don't get the distances I need now its time for a 50'+ antenna on the highest property point with a cell base. Currently using a PC base with a roof mounted antenna.
Curious to know if anyone else here has tried the cell bases? I have three and they worked really well for me last year. I use them for properties I lease and are too far from my property to connect to my PC base for my other cameras. It's great because I can pay for the service monthly during the season (about 3 to 4 months) and then turn off the plan the rest of the year. Last year I ran a baited site at each cell base's camera and it really helped me know what was where and when. The technology's amazing. Sometimes I feel like James Bond when I open the cell base &quot;briefcase&quot; and hit the switch, as LED lights start flashing and doing some crazy technological sweetness. I run a deep cycle marine battery to each of these cell bases along with solar panel to the cell base and cam so I don't have to visit them very often during the season other than to put out corn.
Anyone with X80 upgrade/cameras notice slow/lower picture transfer rates? ESP compared to X7D rates. I am seeing low 3's with drops well below that. With the X7D I would see 5 consistently. This is in a test environment so camera and base are almost side by side.
I did not notice a change with mine but I wasn't specifically looking for it.
While I have not yet deployed my new X80s to the field/farm after the X7D update, I 'm really impressed and finally excited due to the software updates for both the computer and my new cams.
First, let me say from a historical perspective:
I'm totally serious when I say that I nearly lost complete interest in BuckeyeCam and the X7Ds about 6-10 months ago due to:
a) Poor and numerous software updates that didn't live up to the marketing hype, including advertised features from nearly two years previous that were NOT POSSIBLE.
b) Poor quality X7D antennas that broke and were poorly designed (my first four cams shortly after available to public) all separated (internal/external).
c) Poor quality PC base where my mini-USB power board completely broke on the inside. However, it was repaired under warranty without question.
d) One instance of VERY Poor Customer service when I sent in my camera antennas that fell apart (rubber band and glue failed). However, Customer service just charged me $80 bucks for replacement stuby antennas. What was interesting to me is that the stubby antennas were of a new and improved design. They had my credit card on file and just charged me when i included a note requesting warranty claim, because they fell apart due to normal deployment and use....and no, they were not abused. I complained but got nowhere...
e) Slow transfer speed with no obstruction well within advertised distance or limited vegetation obstruction
f) Expensive...Overall, having put just over $5k into my system, I was NOT impressed to say the least.
version 2.0.0, X series camera firmware
All the software updates can be done from the Software Network Manager and deployed wirelessly to the field cams....Nice! I did NOT like having to open up my security box and mess around with a SD card upgrade in the field. The point of these cams is to NOT have to visit them often....and why I spent over $5k to do so.
2) You can adjust how many pics per trigger/event and specify the delay between the trigger events. I was upset it took so long to add via firmware.
3) Overall, transfer speed between the cam and base is faster and can cover a greater distance based on limited testing so far.
4) The PC Software manager is more user friendly and actually fits my PC screen unlike the last few versions and my Windows 7 PC base...
2) If an X cam can now be used as a base instead of using a PC base or Cell base. This has been advertised for years but unfortunately not possible.
3) If a future firmware update to give a % signal to base vs. the current, &quot;good&quot; etc.

BlazinPond, just got mine back as well and I am hoping to re-deploy this week. I agree they are going in the proper direction and with new features 2013 usage should be much better than 2012.
One thing I noticed is that mine (during testing) are transmitting around 3 when my X7D would run at 5+ during testing. I reached out to BEC and they said the X80 should perform at around 3 to 3.2 but should be more stable at a further distance. Are you seeing file transmitting speeds above 3.2 during testing? My camera and PC base are 30' apart or closer during testing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplotter
BlazinPond, just got mine back as well and I am hoping to re-deploy this week. I agree they are going in the proper direction and with new features 2013 usage should be much better than 2012.
One thing I noticed is that mine (during testing) are transmitting around 3 when my X7D would run at 5+ during testing. I reached out to BEC and they said the X80 should perform at around 3 to 3.2 but should be more stable at a further distance. Are you seeing file transmitting speeds above 3.2 during testing? My camera and PC base are 30' apart or closer during testing.
No,
I am not seeing speeds greater than 3 to 3.2 either. However, the limited amount of testing I did in my neighborhood indicated the speeds were more stable through a house and small woods. I only walked the cam a few hundred yards away from base station.
Overall,
I believe there is greater potential of higher transmit speeds at longer distance as opposed to the previous Z7D... but I have no real proof yet beyond limited testing...
Distance and penetration seem to be greatly improved with the upgrade. I get signal in way more areas than before and cameras I needed to repeat no longer need to be. Signal seems more consistent as well. I took a camera in the truck for a ride and was impressed with how far away I was getting signal. Once my 40' antena is complete I am expecting awesome coverage. Overall with the upgrade and software improvements Buckeye seems to really be going in the proper direction with these cameras.
I just flash upgraded mine for the last time. I really like the feature of being able to do this right from the base now.
No need to return to the camera until I wear the battery out.
I know I had some start up hitches but I'm still happy with them and love the new X80 distance.
We'll see how I feel next year. I think time will be the real test.
Scrim, I think you use both a cell base and a pc base? If so do you notice any difference between the two? Is connecting to the cell base a lot slower to work with than the PC base? Are the feature and such the same?
I am thinking about switching to a cell base so that I can have it on a 40' antenna mounted on a highpoint of my property. Trying to figure out if a cell base is the bast way to go or if I stick with the pc base by mounting a repeater camera on the antenna and running several cameras back to my base thru. I am concerned that one camera cannot handle several cameras running thru it. On the other hand I wonder if using the PC base with high speed internet is a lot better than the cell base paying $60 per month for access.
Blazinpond thanks for posting. Because of letter D, I will never own the BEC brand of camera. That takes some nerve to use your credit card without permission. Just bad business. Good luck with the cameras though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Patch
Blazinpond thanks for posting. Because of letter D, I will never own the BEC brand of camera. That takes some nerve to use your credit card without permission. Just bad business. Good luck with the cameras though.
I certainly understand....every time i think of it i get VERY pi$$ed.
If I wasn't so busy in work and personal life I would NOT LET IT DROP.
The only reason they had my credit card info was from previous purchases - one of which was a three month payment plan.
Regardless, beware if you have used the Buckeye Cam payment plan option...
cause they store the credit card on file and will use it down the road without obtaining permission first if they see fit.
Yup....bad business.
BlazingPond,
I'd suggest you call BuckeyeCam and talk with Sean or Becky. I've been dealing with them for many years now. They have had my CC on file but never used it without my verbal authorization.
This description does not mesh with my previous experience with them. Given the large discrepancy, this looks more to me like a misunderstanding or miscommunication between folks at BEC than an intentional act.
If you can find the time to talk to Sean please report back with the results. I've had just the opposite experience. I just sent a camera in explicitly asking for a repair estimate and received the camera back repaired with no bill or charges.
Thanks,
Jack

My card is also on file and only used after notifying me first. Never had an issue and I actually like that they already have the info needed. No need to call or e-mail the info...more secure. Its on file for my LiveCam subscription as well. I deal with Brandon or Becky.
Sorry to hear you had an issue but hopefully it was a onetime thing.
Quote:
Scrim, I think you use both a cell base and a pc base? If so do you notice any difference between the two? Is connecting to the cell base a lot slower to work with than the PC base? Are the feature and such the same?
I am thinking about switching to a cell base so that I can have it on a 40' antenna mounted on a highpoint of my property. Trying to figure out if a cell base is the bast way to go or if I stick with the pc base by mounting a repeater camera on the antenna and running several cameras back to my base thru. I am concerned that one camera cannot handle several cameras running thru it. On the other hand I wonder if using the PC base with high speed internet is a lot better than the cell base paying $60 per month for access.
I've got 3 cell bases and one PC base. I run the cell bases on properties I lease. It's pretty cool see what's coming to a baited cam from four properties all on one computer.
You definitely have to have good cell signal for the cell base to work well since it runs off a cellular signal. Pretty much any where you go in NC now has good cell signal, including anywhere I lease property. So, I've had no problems with signal, but the easy way to find out is just take your cell phone and see how the signal is.
That said, if you're talking about having the opportunity to run a cell base on your property vs PC base that's free, I'd choose the PC base any day. $60/month is $60/month and out the window once you spend it and you'll never get it back. For me on the leased properties I have no choice and it's worth it. I run the cams about 4 months and then hibernate them the rest of the year. There's no charge to hibernate them or re-activate them. They really are amazing as far as the technology. They come in little suitcases and you flip a switch and the modem searches for a signal. Very cool stuff. You can store the cell base in a steel case for security.
Quote:
My card is also on file and only used after notifying me first. Never had an issue and I actually like that they already have the info needed. No need to call or e-mail the info...more secure. Its on file for my LiveCam subscription as well. I deal with Brandon or Becky.
Sorry to hear you had an issue but hopefully it was a onetime thing.
Same experience here. They've charged my CC on file, but only after asking. They wouldn't jeopardize their business over small change. Probably miscommunication.
Quote:
While I have not yet deployed my new X80s to the field/farm after the X7D update, I 'm really impressed and finally excited due to the software updates for both the computer and my new cams.
First, let me say from a historical perspective:
I'm totally serious when I say that I nearly lost complete interest in BuckeyeCam and the X7Ds about 6-10 months ago due to:
a) Poor and numerous software updates that didn't live up to the marketing hype, including advertised features from nearly two years previous that were NOT POSSIBLE.
b) Poor quality X7D antennas that broke and were poorly designed (my first four cams shortly after available to public) all separated (internal/external).
c) Poor quality PC base where my mini-USB power board completely broke on the inside. However, it was repaired under warranty without question.
d) One instance of VERY Poor Customer service when I sent in my camera antennas that fell apart (rubber band and glue failed). However, Customer service just charged me $80 bucks for replacement stuby antennas. What was interesting to me is that the stubby antennas were of a new and improved design. They had my credit card on file and just charged me when i included a note requesting warranty claim, because they fell apart due to normal deployment and use....and no, they were not abused. I complained but got nowhere...
e) Slow transfer speed with no obstruction well within advertised distance or limited vegetation obstruction
f) Expensive...Overall, having put just over $5k into my system, I was NOT impressed to say the least.
version 2.0.0, X series camera firmware
1) All the software updates can be done from the Software Network Manager and deployed wirelessly to the field cams....Nice! I did NOT like having to open up my security box and mess around with a SD card upgrade in the field. The point of these cams is to NOT have to visit them often....and why I spent over $5k to do so.
2) You can adjust how many pics per trigger/event and specify the delay between the trigger events. I was upset it took so long to add via firmware.
3) Overall, transfer speed between the cam and base is faster and can cover a greater distance based on limited testing so far.
4) The PC Software manager is more user friendly and actually fits my PC screen unlike the last few versions and my Windows 7 PC base...
3) If a future firmware update to give a % signal to base vs. the current, &quot;good&quot; etc.
Good review and it's fair to see both sides the cameras, people who like them and people who don't.
I have 10 X7Ds including on PC base and 3 cell bases. I use my cell based on lease properties and put corn there to just see &quot;what's around&quot; at any given time. It allows me to watch four properties from one computer and is a blast during the Fall to watch what shows up each night.
I think there is a learning curve. I got the X7Ds when they first came out. I think it's imperative to upgrade antennas. I've pretty much upgraded to the 13.1 dbi antennas, the biggest you can get, from l-com. Makes a huge difference. I also have switched to marine deep cycle batteries for each cam, this also makes a big difference, along with solar panels so that I never have to switch batteries.
Lastly, is being rough on them. They are made out of plastic and it sounds like Jack's Orions are built like oxen, but I've learned that you do have to be very gentle with them when attaching and removing cords, or antennas, as it's easy to strip wires or for nuts to be loose and things to be over tightened. I think it's just that BEC made the X7D more affordable or tried to and anytime you make a product more affordable there has to be a cut somewhere and it was likely in maybe more plastic parts. I've learned that it really pays to research a spot and find out exactly where you want a cam, set it up and then leave it there. Because I've had times where I've relocated a cam and again when you start removing antennas and cables the hardware is fragile and it is possible to strip parts and then you have to send it in.
So my experience has been different and I've been using the cams from the start. I think it's really about dealing with a learning curve in operating the cams, treating them gently, using optimal antenna and cables for optimal signal strength, as well as using the biggest battery you can find. If you have line of site (and I have plenty of cams without line of site that work great), you shouldn't have problems with communication between the base and cameras. But long story short, to me, there is a learning curve, but once you figure out how to set them up well they are a lot of fun to use, very helpful in hunting and a great asset for a property manager and hunter.

Quote:
Good review and it's fair to see both sides the cameras, people who like them and people who don't.
I have 10 X7Ds including on PC base and 3 cell bases. I use my cell based on lease properties and put corn there to just see &quot;what's around&quot; at any given time. It allows me to watch four properties from one computer and is a blast during the Fall to watch what shows up each night.
I think there is a learning curve. I got the X7Ds when they first came out. I think it's imperative to upgrade antennas. I've pretty much upgraded to the 13.1 dbi antennas, the biggest you can get, from l-com. Makes a huge difference. I also have switched to marine deep cycle batteries for each cam, this also makes a big difference, along with solar panels so that I never have to switch batteries.
Lastly, is being rough on them. They are made out of plastic and it sounds like Jack's Orions are built like oxen, but I've learned that you do have to be very gentle with them when attaching and removing cords, or antennas, as it's easy to strip wires or for nuts to be loose and things to be over tightened. I think it's just that BEC made the X7D more affordable or tried to and anytime you make a product more affordable there has to be a cut somewhere and it was likely in maybe more plastic parts. I've learned that it really pays to research a spot and find out exactly where you want a cam, set it up and then leave it there. Because I've had times where I've relocated a cam and again when you start removing antennas and cables the hardware is fragile and it is possible to strip parts and then you have to send it in.
So my experience has been different and I've been using the cams from the start. I think it's really about dealing with a learning curve in operating the cams, treating them gently, using optimal antenna and cables for optimal signal strength, as well as using the biggest battery you can find. If you have line of site (and I have plenty of cams without line of site that work great), you shouldn't have problems with communication between the base and cameras. But long story short, to me, there is a learning curve, but once you figure out how to set them up well they are a lot of fun to use, very helpful in hunting and a great asset for a property manager and hunter.
Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I am in it for the long haul...I need this type of technology for my farm (100 miles from my primary house). Buckeye just doesn't have much for competition right now...so i don't have many options.
I agree, there is a big learning curve. IMO, these cams are absolutely not gonna work for many many customers that want a basic cam system like a Reconyx/Moultrie/Cuddeback. There are times I really miss my Reconyx 600s but....technology can be frustrating especially when it is far from perfect.?
Anyways, I also was one of the first customers with the X7Ds shortly after being released, so I feel I have a good year of experience to base my review on.
The RPSMA type connectors are pretty standard for radios. They are the same for the Orion as they are for the X-series. Perhaps I'm just used to working with antenna connectors, but I have not had any issues with them. The power connectors for the Orion are different but they are also plastic. I have not had any issues with them loosening but perhaps the Orion pelican case is thicker or something or the threading could be different.
Also keep in mind, the RF transmission issues are not limited that much by technology. The largest limitation is the frequency allocation. These cameras are using the free 900 mhz spectrum where you can broadcast without a license. There are certainly challenges when you are limited to the frequency range you can use.
As for the lower transfer rates, there are two main ways to achieve longer distance, increasing the radio power and reducing the data rate. It looks like they have done a little of each when changing radios to the X80.
Once again, I'd urge you to contact Sean about the CC issue and see if you can get it resolved to your satisfaction and report back. It is very counter to all the experiences I've had with them.
Thanks,
Jack
I'd also like to say that as a customer I'd be very frustrated if I lived off site/away from my farm. You see I live where my cams are so can correct issues immediately. I definitely have had issues where I have to fix something with the cams every couple of weeks so living far away even though that's what a lot of people use them for, could be frustrating.
You guys probably got the same BEC update by email as I did today but here it is (looks like future updates can be updated wirelessly which is nice):
Quote:
The X Series wireless camera systems now have new software and firmware updates available for download!
Windows users can download everything here
MAC users can doanload everything here
MAKE SURE TO UPDATE THE SOFTWARE AND FIRMWARE TOGETHER!
Shop Online for great deals!
The new releases offer many new features!
Just a couple:
After this update, all future camera firmware updates can be done automatically and wirelessly! No more taking an SD card to each camera - just let the software handle the updates automatically to insure your system has the latest features and buig fixes... THIS FEATURE HAS BEEN VERY WELL RECEIVED!
The new software offers several new features including several new &quot;viewing&quot; otpions such as filmstrip and picture view. Filmstrip view keeps a running list of the most current thumbnails so you can see what picture was just received.
We have also added other options such as &quot;tone when picture is taken and improved software performance.
TIp of the day:
Did you know that you can set your email feature to email to text? Most cellular providers offer the ability to send an email to your phone as a text. Just enter your email address as your cellphone number @ symbol follwed by your carrier's text to email protocol.
For example:
yourcellnumber@vtext.com (US verizon customers)
yourcellnumber@txt.att.net (US AT&amp;T customers)
This will send an email as a text directly to your phone.
Sometimes the images will be stripped out of the text depending on your data plan, but it is still a way for you to get notified directly to your phone that your cameras just took a picture using the built in email feature on the software.
Even with the images stripped out you will still receive the header information so you will know what camera was just triggered.
btt,,,
anyone with updates on the buck eye cam performance???
Bryan
Quote:
btt,,,
Bryan
Bryan, mine (10 of them) have been performing flawlessly for sometime now. They have come a long way sense the first ones I purchased. Buckeye was updating them all the time in the beginning. Some updates worked better than other. Haven't seen an update in some time now but honestly unless its to add some new features I can't see why one is needed. Mine are out 24/7 and have been for over 365 days now. Most have solar panels on them and other than replacing the battery because its toast they are always charged. Batteries seem to last about a year.
Extremely happy with my purchase and I continue to add cameras. I just set and poured concrete around a hinged tower base for a 40'+ antenna. Selected the highest point on my property which without the antenna is higher than my current antena location so I'm picking up 40'+. Should really help to increase my coverage, reduce the number of cams I'm repeating thru and provide better battery life.
I'm a Buckeye addict for sure.

If power is available at the location why wouldn't a IP camera setup be a better move and be able to be viewed from any internet connection miles away?
If I had this setup you've mentioned, I'd have the antenna on a radio tower above the tree line for best overall gain possibilities.
Reliability would be the first issue and resolution would be the second depending on the details of the application. Many IP cams don't have motion detection (some do) so unless you have a direct internet service connection, you are paying for a lot of bandwidth usage.
If you know of an IP cam that has the right characteristics for deer management, let us know. I haven't found one yet.
Quote:
Reliability would be the first issue and resolution would be the second depending on the details of the application. Many IP cams don't have motion detection (some do) so unless you have a direct internet service connection, you are paying for a lot of bandwidth usage.
If you know of an IP cam that has the right characteristics for deer management, let us know. I haven't found one yet.
<font size="3">The IP camera set up I was thinking of is a live camera all the time and not motion activated. I'll get the information I was compiling to make one in a large pelican case.
It might not be what your looking for but, is on a similar concept like these are.
Get back with you shortly.</font>
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCJ Admin
<font size="3">The IP camera set up I was thinking of is a live camera all the time and not motion activated. I'll get the information I was compiling to make one in a large pelican case.
It might not be what your looking for but, is on a similar concept like these are.
Get back with you shortly.</font>
No, those are a completely different concept. The problem with continuous IP is the cost of bandwidth unless you have a direct internet connection. There are a few companies that have implemented frame differencing motion detection at the camera. These are all using HD which is way too low resolution for deer management.
These fit a niche market that is very different from the BEC market.
<font size="3">After further research with fellow hammers, IP camera's are more susceptible to hackers so, stick with what your using now. Internet, modems etc. are required and considerably more expensive in the long run.
Some IP camera's do operate on movement triggers instead of live feeds only. I'd still invest in a freestanding, guyed or push up pole for the yagi or Omni directional antenna. Ground that bad boy too. You could also have got a tripod roof mount on your shack and put a push up pole in it. The yagi or Omni used is pretty light so it wouldn't be a big stress on the structure roof.
Multiple cameras in different directions would better suit a Omni directional (stick) type antenna than the pin point Yagi would. If they are all in one direction away from the shack then you can always think of a stacked set of Yagi's for increased signal reception. The longer the stack bar the bigger the ears and the shorter the stack bar makes the ears smaller and more pin point to a certain direction. Your operating on 900mhz correct? </font>
Yes, they operate in the 900 mhz range. However, you need a better understanding of the network and its capabilities. Your generalizations about antenna are generally correct, but they conclusions may or may not be the best setup.
If you read some of the entire thread, you see some antenna discussion. Terrain and vegetation (especially pines) are an issue at this frequency. If you want to dig a little deeper, you might want to read this thread: <http://www.qrgc-forums.org/QRGC_Foru...l-Cameras.aspx
It refers to the older Orion system. There are some difference between the X-Series and the Orion, but most of the basic principles apply. The X-Series is less expensive but the radio is shorter range than the Orion. Most of the lessons learned from the Orion thread can be applied to the X-Series.
<font size="3">Thanks for the link. As I stated prior to the reading, stacking the antenna's is way better as well as some of the frequencies I operate radio on. Height is always the &quot;king&quot; when using LOS or ground wave signals. I see they operate on 900mhz so high power amplification isn't the rule for this freq. Taking in account that a vertical stack is more prone to vertical antenna interference from any other sources which most are used on a vertical plane anyway. I'm wondering if using the directional antenna's on the flat side would be better. Cuts out a whole bunch of the vertical interference. The other cams would also have to be on the flat side too.
Pretty interesting stuff, these Buckeye cams are. Best bet if you live and hunt the surrounding area or security reasons.
Thanks for the links and information regarding these builds.
Got the gears turning over here on the radio signals, repeaters and antennas used or can be made for! I'll see what my fellow hammers think and what we can come up with that might surprise you.</font> (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCJ Admin
<font size="3">Thanks for the link. As I stated prior to the reading, stacking the antenna's is way better as well as some of the frequencies I operate radio on. Height is always the &quot;king&quot; when using LOS or ground wave signals. I see they operate on 900mhz so high power amplification isn't the rule for this freq. Taking in account that a vertical stack is more prone to vertical antenna interference from any other sources which most are used on a vertical plane anyway. I'm wondering if using the directional antenna's on the flat side would be better. Cuts out a whole bunch of the vertical interference. The other cams would also have to be on the flat side too.
Pretty interesting stuff, these Buckeye cams are. Best bet if you live and hunt the surrounding area or security reasons.
Thanks for the links and information regarding these builds.
Got the gears turning over here on the radio signals, repeaters and antennas used or can be made for! I'll see what my fellow hammers think and what we can come up with that might surprise you.</font> (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I would agree that LOS is much more important than amplification. Transmitting at 900 mhz is real problematic on a pine farm like mine. Transmitting through pines is like transmitting through water. Frequencies that you can operate at without a license are limited. When you go lower in frequency, you get better bending and vegetation penetration, but your antenna size and power requirements go up.
The advantage of cell cams is that one antenna is generally pretty high so LOS is less of a problem. The only vegetation is from the camera to the top of the tree line. You also have a lot less issues with topography in most cases because the cell towers are positioned specifically for this. A lot of the infrastructure is in place for you. The down side is the monthly bill.
As for being close to the area you hunt, that is not really necessary with the BEC system. You have a network of cameras all transmitting locally to a base. That base station can be connected to a PC which can be on the internet if you have power and internet service, or the base station can be a standalone battery/solar powered cell base that consolidates the pictures received into a single account and then transmits them across the Verizon cell network. This save a bit since the entire network of cameras looks like a single device to Verizon. You still have the total monthly bandwidth limit and additional cost if you exceed it.
These guys have thought the system out pretty well. It uses a frequency hopper to minimize interference. I'm sure it is possible to duplicate the capability, but not with the same quality and reliability in the same cost profile. I believe they even did shock &amp; vib testing on the Orion series because they sold them to the military at one point.
My take is that the BEC cams are the best fit where:
1) Reliability and lifespan are important in your application
2) Labor costs or personal time for visiting cameras are at a premium and considered as part of the cost equation.
3) When you have a setup where you have less challenging vegetation and terrain or are technically oriented enough to understand RF transmission.
Thanks,
Jack

<font size="3">Well put and should be understandable to anyone reading these posts regarding the unit(s).
Thanks for sharing your time and efforts to show how these can be installed, secured and maintained.
TCJ Admin</font> (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Quote:
btt,,,
Bryan
Bryan,
I have an 8 camera system that has been running pretty much unvisited since early April. I did have a battery die but it turned out I forgot to hook up the solar panel to the battery.
I know I have one camera that doesn't always trigger when deer pass it. I've watched deer walk by it from a distance with no pictures taken.
Based on the number of pics I get with the other 7 I believe this is a problem reserved to this camera only. I don't want to retrieve the camera until after the season. Yes I'm a scent freak even in August.
2 miles is a stretch with the X80 unless your set up has very good line of sight and few obstructions. I have one 1.7 miles from base and it works well. Again it has good line of sight.
My only complaint at this time is still the signal meter on the camera it self. No signal, weak signal and good signal is not enough, they need a true meter.
I have set several up that read &quot;good signal&quot; only to have to return several times and tweak my yagi directional antennas.
Other than that I have no complaints and don't know of a better set up.
Things are running way better today than a year ago. I really like that buckeye came up with automatic updates from the commuter to the camera.

My son and I installed this 50' (40' plus mast &amp; antenna) Rohn antenna this week while at the farm on vacation. The antenna is being used to run the Buckeye cameras.
We poored a pad around the base thats a 3' hole in the ground with a mushroom shaped bottom with a 10&quot; thick 4'x4' top. Lots of 80lb bags on concrete. The base is hinged so its pretty easy to raise and lower the tower with the tractor. Guy wires and a ground were installed today and we raised the tower. I will post some completed pictures tomorrow. Glad to have this project done.
ca7022c6e3db8c5cfc7d6f14b5cb6bc8.jpg

6c0000bee25b095d1cd2002bb7aebc32.jpg

90081d9d4da04f8a8442818090b63afa.jpg

17fe2e56d857487fd1931f23fddad1bf.jpg
Very nice! What did that baby set you back?
That thing is sweet!
Quote:
Very nice! What did that baby set you back?
Around or maybe a little more than the cost of a complete x80 camera setup. Camera, battery, solar, antenna and so forth. Should really help me reach parts of the farm and lease that were blocked. It will reduce the number of cameras I'm jumping thru along with battery life and such.
Here are a couple of completed photos. Grounded with turnbuckle guy wires and so forth. Nice kit from American Tower company. Anyone interested let me know I will be happy to pass long the name of the women I dealt with. I went with Milspec Anchors <www.milspecanchors.com which were awesome to work with.
729be00aedd3e08a83844d52c4092e88.jpg

9b7e8bdcf459b0d6c43187d9765e1b7d.jpg

04259e91aa300b9a228221816a2fdc7a.jpg
Just did the latest upgrade to the PC base. The first real thing that I can see is there is now a signal meter on the PC side. When you hit check battery.
I'm very far from my cameras anyone know if this feature is on the camera itself?
Quote:
Just did the latest upgrade to the PC base. The first real thing that I can see is there is now a signal meter on the PC side. When you hit check battery.
I'm very far from my cameras anyone know if this feature is on the camera itself?
Bill,
I still have not deployed my X80 to the field, but I was down at the farm last week and did install the new software. The install went well. I did not mess with the camera to check for a signal meter. I do like the new PC software version.
My logging operation is now complete and I no longer need the X80 at the front gate. Our archery season started last Saturday, so I won't be messing with cameras until after the season.
My plan for next year is to do a mixed deployment of X80 and Orion networks. I have one Orion with an antenna on a large tower near the center of my property along a ROW running north and south. It has a 45 watt solar panel and large battery and is always charged. My base in on the southwest corner of the property. I have a road running along the south border of the property with no pines. So cameras proximate to the Orion base and those along the south side of the property are routed directly to the base. The rest of the Orion cams use the centrally located camera as a repeater. Many of the Orion cams are along the north/south ROW.
I will move those cameras to more distant locations. My current X80 will go on an older tower also near the center of that ROW. The future cams I buy will be X80s that will use that centrally located camera as a repeater. I plan to use the little rubber ducky antennas and make sure the additional X80s have LOS to the repeater along the row. I also got a 45 watt solar panel for that repeater X80.
I have found that it is especially important to keep cameras acting as repeaters for multiple cameras fully charged because of the additional load. A failure on a repeating camera can cause a cascade effect requiring visits to all the terminal cameras.
When I move the x80 to the field after the season, I'll check it for a signal meter.
Thanks,
Jack
I installed the latest software update yesterday.
Get this one!
I don't know everything that changed but my download speeds are 3X as fast now.
Quote:
I installed the latest software update yesterday.
Get this one!
I don't know everything that changed but my download speeds are 3X as fast now.
Same thing here Bill speeds are way faster. I wonder what they changed to make that happen? I thought it was a power thing so I will be interested to see if distance and/or battery life ihas been decreased.
I still have one about a mile and half out. It hasn't affected that distance. Speed is up. As for power ? I'm not sure with solar panels I rarely go below 100%.
I did notice that after the upgrade with multiple cameras only 1 camera at a time transmits. Before the upgrade it was 2 at a time. Good trade off for speed in my opinion.
Quote:
I still have one about a mile and half out. It hasn't affected that distance. Speed is up. As for power ? I'm not sure with solar panels I rarely go below 100%.
I did notice that after the upgrade with multiple cameras only 1 camera at a time transmits. Before the upgrade it was 2 at a time. Good trade off for speed in my opinion.
I noticed that as well and agree its a good trade off. System keeps getting better in my opinion.
Quote:
I noticed that as well and agree its a good trade off. System keeps getting better in my opinion.
Generally you are better off with 2 cameras transmitting at once. There is always overhead while one radio is waiting for an acknowledgement from another. With 2 cameras transmitting at once, those delays are filled by data from the second camera. The amount of delay that is filled significantly exceeds the context switching. Two cameras transmitting simultaneously covers a large percentage of the delays. There is little benefit in most cases from allowing a third camera to transmit simultaneously.
A single camera transmitting gets you the individual picture back faster, but two cameras transmitting 1 picture each complete sooner in parallel than sequentially.
The above is generally true, but they may be something peculiar to the X80 radios that they found to be an issue with simultaneous transmission. In general terms it is a step backward compared to the Orion communications.
Thanks,
Jack

My X7Ds are still running well after two full seasons. I have two I have to send back in for the crew to look at that I'm getting just daytime pics of/getting nighttime pics but they are black. I've had some corrosion issues with a couple of cams which I had fixed last year. Buckeye made threads for bolts in the back of the camera for mounting it to a tree, which I removed the threads and added the articulating tree mount from a company in the MidWest (can't think of the name off hand). The problem is that in order to get the cam to stay on the articulating arm, you had to thread the bolt really tight and this perforated the seal to the inside of the camera sometimes allowing moisture in. I've been putting desiccation packs in the cams now to help with moisture control. I also had moisture droplets collecting in the small battery enclosure which corroded some of the wiring in them last year, but now I've switched all my cams over to marine batteries which gives me a long battery life if I have a solar panel attached.
Speed for me has been no issue both on the cellular units I have (3) and PC base unit I have. The main goal for photo transmission seems to be line to line contact of the cam's antenna with your base antenna. I get better transmission in the winter if I have a cam in the woods (I'm sure since no leaves) vs. summer/spring.
Still wouldn't trade the cams for anything. I got one good buck this year and am working on a second, and my dad got two good bucks which were very much attributed to using Buckeye.
I have two friends in particular that have had so many issues with Moultrie, Bushnell and Wildgame cams and after leaving cams for two weeks find out their cam didn't take pics, pics were blurry or flash not working. The biggest downside is still cost as not everyone will or cannot spend that money on a Buckeye. However, if you can get the money and don't mind spending it, they are great units and have made my hunting more enjoyable. I recommended to my friends Reconyx or Buckeye. I still like Buckeye better just due to cellular service. I realize now Reconyx has something similar but I don't have those and am sticking with Buckeye now that I'm vested in their system.
The key is definitely to get a Buckeye system up in the off season as it's not something you'll be wanting to deal with during the Fall. There is a learning curve to installing and setting everything up. I like going big first and starting with solar panels, marine batteries, and beefing up cabling and antennas. Not that you should if you don't need it, but I've found in 90% of my situations I've needed to upgrade to bigger batteries and antennas/cabling.
Nothing that hasn't been said here before but L-com is a great website for cables and antennas. I had a big problem with connecting the thicker cables from my antenna to camera without the smaller female end on the cable from coming loose and pulling off. I then started buying pigtail cables for each camera that is very pliable and eliminates the risk of popping off the female end on the cable that connects to the antenna (<pigtail link here .
I think trail cams are great in many locations but I've toned down the number of cams I have out. If you're not against baiting (you don't even have to hunt over it), I really feel one can have one site per 100 acres that they bait with corn and get a good idea what's on your property, what direction bucks are coming from and when they are coming and going. My point is, you can have one buckeye cam per 100 acres and probably have a pretty good system in place that will show you where and when you need to hunt. You don't have to have a cam at every funnel or every field, etc. 1 cam/100 acres makes an expensive camera not quite as expensive of a system if you have a small property.
I'm finding more and more as many on QDMA have alluded, that having a couple cams, and a couple stands and leaving the rest sanctuary is most beneficial to harvesting bucks.
Anybody here have an idea of what's wrong with this camera? It only does this at night. I'm communicating with Buckeye now and expect an answer tomorrow.
Something funny is really going on there. First, when I see color in a photo at night I think about data coming from the wrong lens. However if that were the case, one would expect there to be too little dynamic range to see the picture.
Typically, vertical lines (normally they would be white in a black and white picture) indicate a very high gain setting. The squiggle in those green lines makes me think instability.
There is no way to diagnose it just by looking at the picture, but if all night pictures are like this, my first guess would be that the camera is having some kind of temperature related issue. Perhaps an issue with the image sensor itself. Which camera is this, the Orion, X7D or X80?
Let us know how your experience with BEC works out and what the issue ended up being.
Thanks,
Jack
Quote:
Something funny is really going on there. First, when I see color in a photo at night I think about data coming from the wrong lens. However if that were the case, one would expect there to be too little dynamic range to see the picture.
Typically, vertical lines (normally they would be white in a black and white picture) indicate a very high gain setting. The squiggle in those green lines makes me think instability.
There is no way to diagnose it just by looking at the picture, but if all night pictures are like this, my first guess would be that the camera is having some kind of temperature related issue.
Let us know how your experience with BEC works out and what the issue ended up being.
Thanks,
Jack
Thanks for the response. Some of the pictures are green, some purple......
You may be on to something with your temperature theory as I noticed the temperature was over 30 degrees warmer in some of the pictures than the actual temperature. I'll be sure and post what they say.
Overheated, too cold, or water damage? I'm sure you'll have to send it in. They'll fix it I'm sure at no charge b/c they're good like that.
Found this picture of their new repeater / sensor launching soon. Hopefully the price is fair because these could really help to hit those remote locations where u don't need a full camera in between. Could also be nice on the opposite end of a food plot. It says they will run off AAA batteries or an external battery.
30534d59fc56ad0a5450ed5fcbb9c85d.jpg
Quote:
Found this picture of their new repeater / sensor launching soon. Hopefully the price is fair because these could really help to hit those remote locations where u don't need a full camera in between. Could also be nice on the opposite end of a food plot. It says they will run off AAA batteries or an external battery.
30534d59fc56ad0a5450ed5fcbb9c85d.jpg

I hope your hope of a fair price comes true. These things could really help me out in areas where I want cameras down a hill. Cam down hill, repeater up top with line of sight.
Quote:
I hope your hope of a fair price comes true. These things could really help me out in areas where I want cameras down a hill. Cam down hill, repeater up top with line of sight.
Same situation here Bill. I guess even if they are half the price of the camera it's better.

Quote:
If these come out at a low price, it would help open up their market. Think about the current cost of configuration. You are generally going to want to mount a repeater at a hit point that has visibility to your base and a lot of surrounding area. Currently I use cameras for this.
First, I need to put up a tower. I need a high gain antenna mounted way up high. I have built hunting elevated hunting stands and put a tall antenna mast on top of them to get enough height. Next you need a long coax. That usually means a long run of 400 series cable. Even with the low loss cable you can get significant power loss with longer runs. I have even mounted some cameras 15' to 20' off the ground to shorten the cable run. Of course with the narrow PIR, that reduces you detection area significantly.
Next you need a good solar panel. You have a huge drain on the battery. You have all of the camera operations draining it base on picture count and then transfers from other cameras draining it.
With a stand alone repeater, I can mount the repeater right up next to the antenna. I would have a very short 200 series cable to the antenna. The long run would be a power cable and that is very inexpensive. You can place any size battery you want on the ground with whatever solar panel configuration you want. You can easily reset the unit from the ground by removing and restoring power.
If you have to pay more than half the cost of a camera, it probably isn't worth it, but if it is half or less than the price of a camera, it would be a huge benefit! It would make the shorter range X80 competitive with the Orion series.
Thanks,
Jack
Quote:
If these come out at a low price, it would help open up their market. Think about the current cost of configuration. You are generally going to want to mount a repeater at a hit point that has visibility to your base and a lot of surrounding area. Currently I use cameras for this.
First, I need to put up a tower. I need a high gain antenna mounted way up high. I have built hunting elevated hunting stands and put a tall antenna mast on top of them to get enough height. Next you need a long coax. That usually means a long run of 400 series cable. Even with the low loss cable you can get significant power loss with longer runs. I have even mounted some cameras 15' to 20' off the ground to shorten the cable run. Of course with the narrow PIR, that reduces you detection area significantly.
Next you need a good solar panel. You have a huge drain on the battery. You have all of the camera operations draining it base on picture count and then transfers from other cameras draining it.
With a stand alone repeater, I can mount the repeater right up next to the antenna. I would have a very short 200 series cable to the antenna. The long run would be a power cable and that is very inexpensive. You can place any size battery you want on the ground with whatever solar panel configuration you want. You can easily reset the unit from the ground by removing and restoring power.
If you have to pay more than half the cost of a camera, it probably isn't worth it, but if it is half or less than the price of a camera, it would be a huge benefit! It would make the shorter range X80 competitive with the Orion series.
Thanks,
Jack
Dead on Jack and exactly what I'm currently doing with a camera. When this comes out I will be swapping the camera out and setting it up exactly as you just mentioned. I own some additional land in the area but it's separated by a parcel here and a parcel there from my main farm. My plan is to repeat the setup on these pieces tying the system together and back to my base. I installed this antenna on my main farm last year. I plan on raising the height another 20' this spring and installing one on my other parcels. Should be interesting for sure.
04259e91aa300b9a228221816a2fdc7a.jpg
Scrim - sent you a PM regarding your battery set-up.
Just an FYI.
I emailed buckeye. The repeaters will be available in 30 to 60 days.
Didn't get a price.
Quote:
Just an FYI.
I emailed buckeye. The repeaters will be available in 30 to 60 days.
Didn't get a price.
Thanks for the update Bill. Let's hope the cost is reasonable because these could make a good system even better.
I am happy to report that I have taken the plunge and ordered Phase 1 of my camera system. I plan on trying 6 X80 cameras and the PC Base to get things rolling, then increasing the number of cameras to get more extensive coverage once I overcome the learning curve and prove-out the system.
Many thanks to those who have taken the time to detail their particular applications and trials/tribulations. You have created a valuable reference resource - and no doubt saved me countless hours of research and much frustration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Bowhunter
I am happy to report that I have taken the plunge and ordered Phase 1 of my camera system. I plan on trying 6 X80 cameras and the PC Base to get things rolling, then increasing the number of cameras to get more extensive coverage once I overcome the learning curve and prove-out the system.
Many thanks to those who have taken the time to detail their particular applications and trials/tribulations. You have created a valuable reference resource - and no doubt saved me countless hours of research and much frustration.
Three of them is taking a plunge....Six is a full blown marriage! (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
If that is true Jack - then please consider this your personal invitation to be the preacher at the ceremony! Thanks for all of your help!
Once you get the hang of it you will love them.
I have 25 X80's
1 cell base and 2 pc bases set up's
I almost pulled my hair out setting up the system.
I' am a camera junkie, I had been playing around several systems that transmitted via wireless, but the thought of paying 22$ per camera with 50 cameras each month was a bit much!!!!! That is when I found buckeye.
It was a love hate relationship during those hot summer months. I spent a ton of time trying to get those things up and running, but once we did get it going
AHHHHHHHHH(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
When I spoke with Brandon back in November he mentioned they were working on a repeater unit I was in heaven.