Another first...

Jeff23

5 year old buck +
After tagging along deer hunting last year, and a successful turkey hunt last spring, all three of my kids wanted to try for a deer this season. The older two (10 & 8) were eligible to get their mentored hunter license this year, which meant they would get their own antlered deer tag- they were so proud of their first licenses!. The youngest (6) would have to hunt under my tag, but he was to be on doe patrol only, and only if the older two connected first.
We built a new box blind (6x6 stick-built), and the plan was for all four of us to man the blind for the opening day. The night before, the youngest decided he wouldn't go since he couldn't shoot the first day (antlered deer only for the first week in our DMU), so three of us it would be. They hopped out of bed without much trouble, and we headed out to arrive to the blind about an hour before first light. We were prepared for the frosty, 20 degree morning with our Buddy heater, so we kept the windows closed with the heat on until light finally greeted us. We only had the windows open about 5 minutes when Caleb (8) said, "I see a deer!" I grabbed the binoculars and took a look. I let them know it was a buck, and to stay still until we could determine where it was headed. I then noticed a second buck, as well. I quickly realized that the first was a good deer, and the second looked to be a medium sized 6 point. We had already arranged that Addie (10) would be up to bat first, and the only way I would be shooting would be if there was an opportunity for a shot that wasn't a quality shot for them. The 6 point moved into the brush where it was no longer visible, but I quickly realized the larger buck was headed the wrong direction. It was about 120 yards out (further than I hoped for them to shoot) and behind a bunch of brush and saplings. I grabbed my rifle and told them I may shoot if it moves away any further. It headed towards the last opening in the brush before it would disappear, and I touched off a shot. The shot felt good, but I saw nothing through the brush after the shot; no deer kicking, no 6 point, no deer running. I told the kids there was at least one buck still there, so we had to keep a close eye on that area. Within a minute or so, we saw the 6 point working its way in our direction through the brush. I got Addie set up, and tried to help her line up on the deer. I kept asking if she could see it in the scope, and she kept replying that she couldn't. The deer moved off over the knob before she could find it in the scope. She was disappointed, but I realized it was my fault- I had left the scope turned to 9x after target shooting, and the deer was only about 50 yards away. Major Dad fail!!! I also felt badly that I took the first shot, since that was not in the plan. Caleb was pumped to go see if I had gotten the deer, but I told him I felt we should wait a while since it seemed to be a hot spot right then.
About an hour passed, and I saw another buck stand up out the brush about 100 yards out. It offered no shot, but both kids could see it, so we just patiently waited. I thought it was going to bed back down, but instead it started moving in our direction. As it disappeared in a small gully, we weren't sure which side it would appear on. Caleb thought he saw it, so I was checking his side, and when I looked back out the other side, there he was, walking the same trail the 6 point had been on. We got Addie into the .223, and she immediately found it in the scope this time- I had turned the scope down after the first mishap! She followed the walking deer in the scope, and it stopped...right behind a briar patch! She realized she didn't have a shot yet, so she waited. As it started walking again, I wasn't sure if I should bleat to stop it or not. As I was pondering, it stopped on its own, with its shoulder directly behind a 6 inch maple. I asked if she had a clear chest shot, and she replied the shoulder was behind the tree. I advised her to make sure her aim was just to the left of the tree, to take her time and squeeze. Her target shooting had been on the money, and she did not disappoint. I watched the bullet hit high lung, and the spinal shock dropped the buck in its tracks! We came unglued! The celebration at that moment in the blind is something I will cherish forever. Addie was shaking uncontrollably, and she kept saying, "I'm not cold, but I just can't stop shaking!" She was solid as a rock...until after the shot. After some celebration, and the arrival of my brother to give us a hand, I realized that my buck was down very close to the point I shot him, so we indeed had our double!
The rest of the season was a lot of ups and downs, with Caleb seeing several more bucks without getting a shot off, and Micah (6) seeing plenty of does without squeezing the trigger, but I think we have three more youngsters to add to our ranks! For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of experiencing moments like these, I would encourage you to put yourself in positions to live it for yourself- what a joy!
Sorry this was so long-winded, but I wanted to share this story with some who I know would appreciate it.
IMG_0667.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome Jeff, congrats! Great Job with the young ones! Great memories for sure! Thanks for sharing.

CONGRATULATIONS..... I look forward to memories with grandchildren now. Went thru your joys with 2 sons, and can honestly say, I am happier when they connect than if I do.

Gonna be hard to top that hunt :D

Congrats!

I chuckled when Addie said she couldn't stop shaking. My 10yr old shot his first deer this year also and said the same thing.

Tell the kids " congrats " from us here !! My camp is in NC Pa. and I went thru the same things with my sons. You can't beat that feeling !!! Like Strawhead said above , I get more jacked when my sons connect than when I shoot one. Very cool story and glad you shared it. Reading it ......... I was in that blind with you guys - sort of - because I know the situation and the excitement that goes with it. Great job all the way around !!!! :)

Great story!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done and a great story!

Great story, congrats!

Well done. Long winded? I would say great story telling. Congratulations