All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a List or Source of Accurate Apple Tree Zone Ratings

Freeborn

5 year old buck +
Does anybody know of a site or have an accurate list of apple trees and their zone ratings. I purchased my scion this year from Maple Valley and all were rated by Maple Valley for zone 3 but want to confirm the zone rating.

When I search the WEB for zone ratings I often get different results for the same apple variety.

Thanks

Jerry-could the results vary with the rootstock?

An older couple up in Cass County asked me what type of apples to plant and I referred them to Huls nursery website and also Beier's Nursery (Grand Rapids). I recommended they look at only zone 3 apples. Their haralson(zone3) died two winters ago. These two nurseries jsut handle the common Mn. types and not the obscure varieties that many of us want to plant.

Random thoughts

1. I have an almost 30 year old bulletin from the University of Mn. and they had their own zone rating system with some differences in central Mn. for hardiness compared to the USDA zones.

2. I also wonder if zone 3 or 4 at the edge of the prairies is a different critter than zone 3 or 4 in the northeast US. Maybe we should be looking at the Canadian prairie apple program from years back.

Someone might have posted that Maple Valley is a bit optimistic in it's suggestions.

There has been a bit of discussion of apple hardiness on the Far north gardening forum, not the facebook page.

I don't think there is such a list. At least I haven't found one. I believe part of the reason for variances in zone ratings is due to seasonal moisture levels in different areas (i.e. zone 3b/4a in NY gets more consistent moisture than zone 3b/4a in western MN)
That is what I was trying to say about the differences between us and the northeast.

Maybe other rootstocks make a a difference. That is one reason I wanted to try some dolgo rootstock this year.

Maybe hardy crabs would work better for those of us who can't irrigate our trees.

I don't think there is such a list. At least I haven't found one. I believe part of the reason for variances in zone ratings is due to seasonal moisture levels in different areas (i.e. zone 3b/4a in NY gets more consistent moisture than zone 3b/4a in western MN)
Seasonal moisture differences and also seasonal winds that might further dry things out.
Jerry- At the Staples apple meeting last fall they had a short lsit of recommended apples.
Prairie Magic, Norland and other Land series such as Goodland were on the list. Honeycrisp did not fare so well.
I could get the list to you.

^^^soil type also plays a role IMHO. There's a heck of a difference between dry loam and dry sand going into a December when it may hit -25.
yup- Jerry and I versus your soils and make that minus 35.