I bought the wrong scope!

I have a 4-14 x 50 that is my go to scope for most situations. I have started leaning towards the higher powered shorty scopes for most of my hunting, which is usually less than 100 yards. I have not looked at a 3-9 scope in many years.
I hate it when you buy the wrong magazine/scope/ammo/stock/bolt knob and have to then buy the gun that fits it.

Dont feel bad, I screwed up too.

Thought I ordered a 3-9x40 fullfield II, order a 50 instead. Barely cleared the CVA barrel with medium rings. Had to remove the iron sights to clear it.

Had to remove sights on my other inline muzzie and my 450 marlin. The 1.5-4.5x would have the front sight in the field of view otherwise. Got bushell 3200 elites on both of those guns. Wish they still made that scope.

So. I think I told you I went hunting in Africa earlier this year and fell in love. I immediately came home and started buying and modifying large calibers.

1st is a 375 ruger savage brush hunter. Pretty cheap gun but I like savage factory actions. I put in a woox stock, changed bottom metal to accept ACIS mag, glass bedded, cerkoted, spartan adapter, and removed the iron sites for reflex suppressor.
View attachment 58326
2nd is a 416 ruger ruger guide gun. I had laminate stock dipped, glass bedded, cerakoted, and spartan adapter.
View attachment 58327

I like some classic wood stock guns. But sometimes I like to trick my guns out. Ha
Curiosity on my part. Tell me about the gadget under the fore-end of your stock.....in the top picture above. Is that a gadget to accept a bipod?....or what?

Curiosity on my part. Tell me about the gadget under the fore-end of your stock.....in the top picture above. Is that a gadget to accept a bipod?....or what?

Honestly, if I was buying a new rifle for hunting right now it would be a 7mm PRC. It has BY FAR the best ballistics out there for anything from whitetail at 100 yards to elk at 1,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, if I was buying a new rifle for hunting right now it would be a 7mm PRC. It has BY FAR the best ballistics out there for anything from whitetail at 100 yards to elk at 1,000.

If by best ballistics you mean drop and wind deflection, there are others that are better on paper. 28 nosler is one. If one wants a 7 mag, It's the best balanced one out there IMO though.

No such thing as the wrong scope or gun for that matter they are all good!!

If by best ballistics you mean drop and wind deflection, there are others that are better on paper. 28 nosler is one. If one wants a 7 mag, It's the best balanced one out there IMO though.

If a man already has a 7MM mag, you probably don’t upgrade to 7mm PRC. But, the PRC does edge out the Mag. Higher chamber pressures and tighter twist rate (1:8 vs 1:9-1:10) allows for heavier loads. The Mag was designed to shoot 140-160gr rounds, while the PRC is designed specifically for 175-190 at almost equal muzzle velocities.

There are better wind drift and drop calibers on paper for sure… but when you balance drop, drift, overall velocity, velocity retention over distance (better bullet expansion at distance), longer projectile options allowing higher BC, higher energy on target, and recoil… the 7mm PRC performs better (in more categories overall) than basically anything.

Perhaps if a 7mm Mag was re-barreled with a 1:8 twist rate it would be a MUCH closer comparison, but then you run into issues with factory Mag ammo being designed for a 1:9.5 not matching your 1:8. If someone custom loads, you could definitely work up loads for a Rem Mag that would close the gap between the two factory load options. But the same custom loader could push the PRC further as well.

In reality, the 7mm Rem Mag is absolutely effective on all North American big game at normal hunting distances. But, if starting from scratch… the PRC combines EVEN better performance at those ranges, excellent performance at even longer ranges, AND competitive performance in long range precision shooting.

I personally think it is the current do-all caliber on the market. To the point that I could see myself with only 2 calibers…
*308 Win as my “what if” gun for bulk ammo availability.
*7mm PRC for all hunting and long distance shooting.

If a man already has a 7MM mag, you probably don’t upgrade to 7mm PRC. But, the PRC does edge out the Mag. Higher chamber pressures and tighter twist rate (1:8 vs 1:9-1:10) allows for heavier loads. The Mag was designed to shoot 140-160gr rounds, while the PRC is designed specifically for 175-190 at almost equal muzzle velocities.

There are better wind drift and drop calibers on paper for sure… but when you balance drop, drift, overall velocity, velocity retention over distance (better bullet expansion at distance), longer projectile options allowing higher BC, higher energy on target, and recoil… the 7mm PRC performs better (in more categories overall) than basically anything.

Perhaps if a 7mm Mag was re-barreled with a 1:8 twist rate it would be a MUCH closer comparison, but then you run into issues with factory Mag ammo being designed for a 1:9.5 not matching your 1:8. If someone custom loads, you could definitely work up loads for a Rem Mag that would close the gap between the two factory load options. But the same custom loader could push the PRC further as well.

In reality, the 7mm Rem Mag is absolutely effective on all North American big game at normal hunting distances. But, if starting from scratch… the PRC combines EVEN better performance at those ranges, excellent performance at even longer ranges, AND competitive performance in long range precision shooting.

I personally think it is the current do-all caliber on the market. To the point that I could see myself with only 2 calibers…
*308 Win as my “what if” gun for bulk ammo availability.
*7mm PRC for all hunting and long distance shooting.

No disagreements on the attributes of 7 PRC especially with factory ammo! My main point is the 28 nosler can push the same bullets notably faster which to me means it has better numbers on paper in all the metrics listed above besides recoil. Some of the bullets loaded in factory ammo definitely work in favor of the PRC in that regard. Don't get me wrong, i like the PRC better because it's less overbore, was designed from the ground up for long range stuff, better factory ammo cost/support, better component support, and on an on.

For clarification when I said it's the best balanced 7 mag, i meant the 7 PRC is the best balanced cartridge in the .284 bore size with a magnum case head (I.E. rem mag, SAUM, RUM, WSM, STW, nosler, etc). 7 Blaser mag is the only one that i might argue as it's almost identical in specs, just never got widespread adoption.

Got all you experts here... what are the best rings to buy? Got my scope bought for the 450 bushy and now researching rings and bases it makes my head spin. Assume cost isn't an issue and that I want it rock solid forever. Weight not an issue. The talley ring issue on maddog's elk thread was unnerving.

This is my go to ring.

Nice. Yeah that's exactly the rings I put on our 220 a few years ago. I recall when I went do the twist and lock, I couldn't really tell with great certainty that they were locking in place exactly where they were designed to, but I think they did.

Depends what rifle platform. Does it have a picatinny rail?

There are a pile of good options for picatinny rings and i tend to prefer the flexibility in mounting options for different scopes with different tube mounting dimensions that comes with having a full length rail. With a good rail and good rings you should have zero issues with alignment or lapping needed. With non-1 piece rails there can be issues with receiver machining tolerances.

Depends what rifle platform. Does it have a picatinny rail?

There are a pile of good options for picatinny rings and i tend to prefer the flexibility in mounting options for different scopes with different tube mounting dimensions that comes with having a full length rail. With a good rail and good rings you should have zero issues with alignment or lapping needed. With non-1 piece rails there can be issues with receiver machining tolerances.
It's the CVA Cascade rifle. I went to Bass Pro and looked thru a few different scopes and just went with the Conquest V4 3-12x44. I see now they just lowered the price by $150 on it, unreal. Think I should return it and repurchase it?

It's the CVA Cascade rifle. I went to Bass Pro and looked thru a few different scopes and just went with the Conquest V4 3-12x44. I see now they just lowered the price by $150 on it, unreal. Think I should return it and repurchase it?

I think those Cascade already come with picatinny style bases so all you need is pic rings.

The talley ultralights are super thin extrunded aluminum that flexes a lot and seem to just be brittle, most picatinny rings are going to be more stout. My favorite rings are American Rifle Company because of how simple they are to get right with a single ring cap screw but they are expensive and bulky. Also have a bunch of seekins pic rings. Nightforce and American precision arms also make nice ones. All of those are a little beefier style and not cheap - i'd probably look at a set of warne mountain tech in your desired size - they should be a little sleeker and less expensive!

Burris elite never let me down. Prefer a 1 piece base over doubles, but some guns you can't get them. Although the double on my browning blr never let me down.

Weaver dovetail bases and rings, ill only use steel. No aluminum. Ring / base 1 piece combo ill use aluminum them.

Maybe theres a perfect ring / base. Leupold or burris are good enough for me.

I think those Cascade already come with picatinny style bases so all you need is pic rings.

The talley ultralights are super thin extrunded aluminum that flexes a lot and seem to just be brittle, most picatinny rings are going to be more stout. My favorite rings are American Rifle Company because of how simple they are to get right with a single ring cap screw but they are expensive and bulky. Also have a bunch of seekins pic rings. Nightforce and American precision arms also make nice ones. All of those are a little beefier style and not cheap - i'd probably look at a set of warne mountain tech in your desired size - they should be a little sleeker and less expensive!
Mine didn't come with a picatinny. Just holes. I'll check out some of those rings, thanks!

Mine didn't come with a picatinny. Just holes. I'll check out some of those rings, thanks!
Wind is the man.

I like warne. I think they are close to as good at half the price. Still expensive.

I get QD mounts on all of mine so you can easily take off and on without need to rezero, at least with the high end brands (Talley, warne, American precision).

See if you can go in and get in-store credit for the difference. I'm no longer the biggest fan of Bass Pro or Cabela's, but they might go for it.