I bought the wrong scope!

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
i bought a Burris 4.5 x 14 x42 ballistic plex. I thought I was buying a 3x9x 40

what should I put it on?

I am thinking a .270, or a .308 Norma magnum, or a 6.5 x 55, or a 7mm Mag, or a 3006?

what say you?

Buy guns in all of those calibers and hold the scope up next to each gun. After that, mount it to the one it will look best on. Then buy more scopes for the other guns.

I own the rifles already. Thanks

The classics survived all these years because they work well. The perfect deer only cartridge is 270 in my book.

The 308 norma mag probably could use more magnification if your pushing that caliber.

Try it out, you like it, get more for the other guns. Burris fullfield II 3-9x came to my house last week for my CVA muzzie. It's more of a loaner gun than anything else. Wuld of like a 1.5-4.5x or 2-7x on it. When hunting on foot, that low power works miracles.

Do you shoot ANY of those close range? I think you should put it on the gun you're itching to tinker with them most and feel like taking out back to sight in.

I am leaning towards the 7 mag

i am afraid the 308 Norma might kick to hard for it….but I guess they are forever gaurenteed

I vote 7mm Mag. Specially if it's a Rem Mag.

Sorry the action is a Winchester, chamber in 7 mm rem mag.

Do you shoot ANY of those close range? I think you should put it on the gun you're itching to tinker with them most and feel like taking out back to sight in.
Of course! I’m a sneaky sum beach!

Yep that's the gun for the scope. That's a reach and touch them load.

Depends more on application of each rifle than cartridge IMO.

I've got light guns meant for carrying around the mountains but in cartridges with good external ballistics, with 3-9s on em to save weight. Heavier rifles that are more likely to be shot further get a little more magnification. There's not that much difference between 3-9 and 4-12 though so i wouldn't overthink it. Put it on any rifle that's not a short range specific rifle.

Buy guns in all of those calibers and hold the scope up next to each gun. After that, mount it to the one it will look best on. Then buy more scopes for the other guns.
You are my hero

I've got light guns meant for carrying around the mountains but in cartridges with good external ballistics, with 3-9s on em to save weight. Heavier rifles that are more likely to be shot further get a little more magnification. There's not that much difference between 3-9 and 4-12 though so i wouldn't overthink it. Put it on any rifle that's not a short range specific rifle.
Wind. I’m gonna post two rifles I just got back from the gunsmith later today. I can’t wait to hear your feedback on them.

Can't you return it and get the 3x9x 40 ? .

Can't you return it and get the 3x9x 40 ? .
No I bought it on the 24 hour campfire from a private guy.

I was over thinking it. I am kinda excited about having it now.

So. I think I told you I went hunting in Africa earlier this year and fell in love. I immediately came home and started buying and modifying large calibers.

1st is a 375 ruger savage brush hunter. Pretty cheap gun but I like savage factory actions. I put in a woox stock, changed bottom metal to accept ACIS mag, glass bedded, cerkoted, spartan adapter, and removed the iron sites for reflex suppressor.
IMG_2310.jpeg
2nd is a 416 ruger ruger guide gun. I had laminate stock dipped, glass bedded, cerakoted, and spartan adapter.
IMG_2309.jpeg

I like some classic wood stock guns. But sometimes I like to trick my guns out. Ha

So. I think I told you I went hunting in Africa earlier this year and fell in love. I immediately came home and started buying and modifying large calibers.

1st is a 375 ruger savage brush hunter. Pretty cheap gun but I like savage factory actions. I put in a woox stock, changed bottom metal to accept ACIS mag, glass bedded, cerkoted, spartan adapter, and removed the iron sites for reflex suppressor.
View attachment 58326
2nd is a 416 ruger ruger guide gun. I had laminate stock dipped, glass bedded, cerakoted, and spartan adapter.
View attachment 58327

I like some classic wood stock guns. But sometimes I like to trick my guns out. Ha

Man, those are some thumpers! I’m moving the opposite direction towards shooting a lot more .224 and 6mm to get away from the thumpin and muzzle blast but I don’t have any African game on the upcoming menu either! Where did you go in Africa?

Man, those are some thumpers! I’m moving the opposite direction towards shooting a lot more .224 and 6mm to get away from the thumpin and muzzle blast but I don’t have any African game on the upcoming menu either! Where did you go in Africa?
Limpopo region of South Africa. You have to do it. I thought I would check off my list but I’ve already booked my second trip. Ha

Limpopo region of South Africa. You have to do it. I thought I would check off my list but I’ve already booked my second trip. Ha

I'm sure I'd love it once there but it doesn't appeal to me much in theory.