Hunting The Wrong Part Of MN

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Ok, first off, this is not one of my apple trees. This is one of my dad's and I've scolded him about getting his pruning caught up.

To my surprise, we have a nice buck in our little corner of the black sea in southern MN!

1.PNG
2.PNG

Looks like I may need to whip up some coyote treats sometime this fall. 3.PNG

What's amazing is that there is almost zero carrying capacity in this part of farm country. At the home place, we've now counted 4 unique bucks between 20 acres of woods and an active 10 acre orchard. We usually couldn't count 4 deer sightings in a calendar year.

What's amazing is that there is almost zero carrying capacity in this part of farm country. At the home place, we've now counted 4 unique bucks between 20 acres of woods and an active 10 acre orchard. We usually couldn't count 4 deer sightings in a calendar year.
Thank the DNR
They know how to manage!!:rolleyes:

Be careful or the DNR will call your land a hot pocket.....and issue 10 tags for every hunter in your township. ;)

I don't suspect it'll last long. It's zone 285. That zone used to fluctuate between 250 and 500 does tags per year. This year they've got 1100 up for grabs, and my brother said the corn is near complete already and about half the ground is already plowed for the year.

1100 tags, huh? See........... the DNR already knew your area was THICK with deer. Like Foggy said, you're in a " hot pocket ". You guys just need to learn to see conditions with
" expert eyes. " :rolleyes: :eek:

I don't suspect it'll last long. It's zone 285. That zone used to fluctuate between 250 and 500 does tags per year. This year they've got 1100 up for grabs, and my brother said the corn is near complete already and about half the ground is already plowed for the year.

I live and work in the area. Drive 22 miles one way to work and taking different roads, never see many deer and very few hit on the road. My coworkers husband and daughter hunt in 284 and they have both filled their tags during archery 2012-2014. I guess they have a sweet spot with a big chunk of woods surrounded by farmland. Still low numbers overall.