Got it Done

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
I had previously caught eight of the nine world’s billfish - white marlin, atlantic sailfish, atlantic blue marlin, swordfish, striped marlin, black marlin, and pacific sailfish - leaving a shortbilled spearfish. Spearfish are not widespread like some of these other species - with best fishing in either the medditeranean sea or Kona, HI. Easy choice.

An hour into the first morning, we hook up with a blue marlin and my daughter gets on the rod for that one.

IMG_0726.jpeg

Two hours later, the second strike, and after an uneventful fight on tackle way over matched for the fish, I had my short billed spearfish. It was interesting that the captain said I was about the fifth person he had on his boat that was looking for their final billfish of the royal slam, and I was the only one that was fortunate enough to catch one

IMG_6060.jpeg
They are the smallest of the billfish - averaging 30 to 50 lbs. this one closer to fifty. Would have been a meal for my 800 lb black marlin

IMG_0757.jpeg

Daughter guarding the spread

Congratulations!
Nothing quite like the view your daughter is taking in, in the above picture. I think I like it more then sitting in a tree.

Congratulations!
Nothing quite like the view your daughter is taking in, in the above picture. I think I like it more then sitting in a tree.
For sure, I do. Never know what is going to happen.

Congrats Swamp, I had no idea you were into that. It must be quite a thrill to hang into an 800 lb. fish !

Congrats Swamp, I had no idea you were into that. It must be quite a thrill to hang into an 800 lb. fish !
JPEG image-40B13747E9EB-1.jpeg

It was a little more than I was hoping for. I actually booked the trip in Feb because there were supposed to be more, but smaller 250 lb fish. We were trolling a spread of four live 10 lb bonita’s. Wouldnt you know, the biggest fish of the past several years took the bait the third day of fishing. Broke the pedestal off the fighting chair an hour and a half into the fight. Had to fight it from a rod holder on gunwale of boat. 4.5 hrs into fight, I thought I was finished but caught my second wind and went for four more hours. Fish was still strong at boatside. We hooked one other black in the total five days of fishing and line broke an hour and a half into fight with my daughter on the rod. Fishing for many of these fish is comparable to big game hunting. Hours of boredom interrupted by Seconds of pandemonium. Had some good times in my quest.

Well done!

That's awesome congrats!!! Great picture of it jumping out of the water. What's next in your fishing Adventures? 😊

That's awesome congrats!!! Great picture of it jumping out of the water. What's next in your fishing Adventures? 😊
I dont really know. Might just go watch my kids catch a few.

I dont really know. Might just go watch my kids catch a few.
He's coming back to GA to go fishing with my son and I... well, maybe not.

Hours of boredom interrupted by Seconds of pandemonium. Had some good times in my quest.
Very True. But some how its good boredom.

He's coming back to GA to go fishing with my son and I... well, maybe not.
I dont care what it is - I like to fish. On the flight back home from the black marlin trip, my wife and I were discussing where we were going crappie fishing when we got back home