How many of you have bought hunting land and ended up disappointed?

Who has purchased hunting land and ended up disappointed with the hunting on it? Maybe after putting money, time and effort into it you expected more?

Which did you do about it? Sell it and buy something different with the new knowledge you have acquired or did you take the "Build it and they will come" mentality.
Since you posted this question I'm assuming you are getting to point of disappointment with your hunting land ?????

BJE80, I am not disappointed but if I did it over I would be smarter in what I purchased. No matter what you purchase there will be times that you will think that it wasn't the right purchase. I have had these thoughts a few times but most of the time I look at what I have for land and tell my self that it doesn't get any better.

We are currently in the process of purchasing some land for hunting, although hunting is not the #1 priority of the purchase. My expectations of the hunting are held in check as I have hunted within a mile of this place for almost 20 years now so I know the limitations of the area even down to this specific neighborhood. If we were purchasing land soley for big buck hunting, it would not be here. With that said I hope the hunting can at least be as good as what I'm used to and I have hopes that it can be better in time. But if it isn't we still have the other 300 days of the year to enjoy the property with the family and kids.

TT & Bueller:

Yes and no.
Do I have some buyer’s remorse? Yes. I’ll explain the story.
I wanted hunting land and a cabin more than life itself. My life’s dream you might say. We purchased an 80 acre parcel for $115 (1437/acre) in winter of 2011 which was a pretty darn good deal. It is 100% wooded and has some good timber value and will be select cut here in 2 years. We put up a cabin (some call it a house) that was comfortable enough for my wife to enjoy going up there. Some of these rustic cabins there is no way my wife would want to go to and that means my time would be very limited up there if she and the kids were not along. Our boys are 7 and 4 and I hope they take up hunting like we do. My wife hunts gun season with us.
Well anyways, we are in the dead center of a big block of woods (about 1 sq mile of solid woods). And the land is very flat. We have spent a lot of time, money and effort improving the land and honestly it is helping. But with only antlerless deer. We can’t seem to get anything 2.5yr or older to spend ANY time on our land outside of the rut. Ok, not entirely true; I think I have two pictures of bucks 2.5 yr old outside the rut in 3 years. Even during the summer. And I’ve never seen one hunting either (outside of the rut). Now, I am not one of these guys that is looking to shoot 150’s and bigger. A simple 120” buck would make me very happy on this land. But going out hunting before the rut and knowing virtually there is zero chance to see or kill a shooter kinda takes the fun out of it.
I am just too far away from the Ag and topography near the creeks that bucks like to bed in. I can’t compete with it. The neighbors show me pictures of some really really nice bucks they are getting on camera and all I ever get to say is "I don't have any bucks on camera".
Now, I’m hopeful that the select cut will improve things a lot here but it just a bummer all I watch is the same does run around every time I go hunting prior to Nov 1st.
I’ve toyed with the thought of getting a 2-3 acre food plot cleared when I get logged here in two years. But I figure the WDNR may not be happy since the land is in MFL. Also, then I need to upgrade all my food plotting equipment to do plots that size. Right now I have a 0.3 acre and a .18 acre plot and I can do it with my ATV.

Not to mention my land is always so darn wet because of the heavy clay. Just sloppy wet with standing water on the trails with ruts.

We have approxamately $270k stuck into the 80 acres with the cabin and not much to show for it for deer hunting.

I regret not buying a piece close to AG and one with more pinch points and natural funnels. And something with better soils. Probably not put such a nice cabin on it either. Is it tempting to put it on the market and try and upgrade? Yes.

I could go on more but I’ll stop my babbling for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
TT & Bueller:

Yes and no.
Do I have some buyer’s remorse? Yes. I’ll explain the story.
I wanted hunting land and a cabin more than life itself. My life’s dream you might say. We purchased an 80 acre parcel for $115 (1437/acre) in winter of 2011 which was a pretty darn good deal. It is 100% wooded and has some good timber value and will be select cut here in 2 years. We put up a cabin (some call it a house) that was comfortable enough for my wife to enjoy going up there. Some of these rustic cabins there is no way my wife would want to go to and that means my time would be very limited up there if she and the kids were not along. Our boys are 7 and 4 and I hope they take up hunting like we do. My wife hunts gun season with us.
Well anyways, we are in the dead center of a big block of woods (about 1 sq mile of solid woods). And the land is very flat. We have spent a lot of time, money and effort improving the land and honestly it is helping. But with only antlerless deer. We can’t seem to get anything 2.5yr or older to spend ANY time on our land outside of the rut. Ok, not entirely true; I think I have two pictures of bucks 2.5 yr old outside the rut in 3 years. Even during the summer. And I’ve never seen one hunting either (outside of the rut). Now, I am not one of these guys that is looking to shoot 150’s and bigger. A simple 120” buck would make me very happy on this land. But going out hunting before the rut and knowing virtually there is zero chance to see or kill a shooter kinda takes the fun out of it.
I am just too far away from the Ag and topography near the creeks that bucks like to bed in. I can’t compete with it. The neighbors show me pictures of some really really nice bucks they are getting on camera and all I ever get to say is "I don't have any bucks on camera".
Now, I’m hopeful that the select cut will improve things a lot here but it just a bummer all I watch is the same does run around every time I go hunting prior to Nov 1st.
I’ve toyed with the thought of getting a 2-3 acre food plot cleared when I get logged here in two years. But I figure the WDNR may not be happy since the land is in MFL. Also, then I need to upgrade all my food plotting equipment to do plots that size. Right now I have a 0.3 acre and a .18 acre plot and I can do it with my ATV.

Not to mention my land is always so darn wet because of the heavy clay. Just sloppy wet with standing water on the trails with ruts.

We have approxamately $270k stuck into the 80 acres with the cabin and not much to show for it for deer hunting.

I regret not buying a piece close to AG and one with more pinch points and natural funnels. And something with better soils. Probably not put such a nice cabin on it either. Is it tempting to put it on the market and try and upgrade? Yes.

I could go on more but I’ll stop my babbling for now.
I think if you do a timber harvest and hinge the junk timber while your at it on top of a large perennial clover plot you will be surprised at what shows up. As you mentioned above have the timber co clear you a spot while their there. Clover is easy and you can do that with your quad no prob. Spray 2x a couple wks apart then broadcast. Keep on truckN brother

BJE, don't be the least bit hesitant to talk to the forester overseeing/enforcing your MFL contract. Whether it's MFL, CRP, erosion control, bird nesting or any other program I've been exposed to, the people in charge of it have all been willing to work with me to achieve the goals I have. Just explain to them what your goal is, what you'd like to do with the place and see how far they'll let you push things. 6 times out of 10 times, they've allowed me to push it further than I even wanted to. 10 out of 10, they allow me to do what I ask.

Don't hesitate to talk to these people. I've been thrilled by how many times they've allowed me to go against the contracts, without any negative consequences.

BJE80,

We also are in the middle of a large wooded area with flat ground. What I have noticed is huge for us is having a forest with different stages of growth. Is your entire place being select cut or only a portion of it? Hopefully it is only a portion so that you can create some of the edge cover that a forest with varying ages of growth creates. Also many times you can put in foodplots of a certain size on MFL property IF you consult with the DNR forester and get approval prior to doing so. Also you can work with the DNR forester and whoever is doing your select cut to somewhat cater it to your goals as long as it falls within the plan as it was originally written. Good luck, I feel there are better days ahead for you.

P.S. When I first started doing this stuff, I made the mistake of believing that property owners would tell me if they were in any programs. On several properties in several states, I did things that technically should have broken the land owner's contract. Each time, I went to the appropriate office, explained what I did and asked what I could do to "make it right." Each time they told me not to worry about it and allowed me to keep the habitat improvements I made in place.

Most would be very surprised at how willing these people generally are to work with you, instead of against, even when that involves twisting and bending the contract.

P.S. When I first started doing this stuff, I made the mistake of believing that property owners would tell me if they were in any programs. On several properties in several states, I did things that technically should have broken the land owner's contract. Each time, I went to the appropriate office, explained what I did and asked what I could do to "make it right." Each time they told me not to worry about it and allowed me to keep the habitat improvements I made in place.

Most would be very surprised at how willing these people generally are to work with you, instead of against, even when that involves twisting and bending the contract.

I have to agree Steve! I just had 2 reps out from the NRCS office and one from our forestry office, to go over some farming and habitat Improvements we are making on the latest property we purchased here in MN. They are there to work with you not against for the most part. You just can't run wild without letting them in on whats going on. Otherwise they may get the DNR involved and that can spell a lot of trouble if you piss them guys off!

I couldn't imagine having land I couldn't do what I want with...

I wouldn't look at your situation with no bucks outside of the rut as a 'problem'. This is not unheard of by any means, rarely do we get velvet pictures during the summer of the bucks we shoot during the season. On top of that, I watched a dandy 150 class buck for 3 years in a row during the summer only to have him disappear each fall. Extremely frustrating. It seems to me you have a doe paradise. Sounds like you are doing the right things to keep the women around and that will in turn bring in the bucks come the rut, as you are already seeing.

Use your situation to your advantage and keep it really calm in the early fall so the does stack up when your neighbors are bow hunting and spreading their sent around their property. Why burn out your property in Sept and Oct when there are no bucks around. Just practice your shooting and prepare to hunt them I November.

I couldn't imagine having land I couldn't do what I want with...

I could't imagine paying full taxes on it. :)

I could't imagine paying full taxes on it. :)

Taxes in Missouri are less than $2 per acre. I love paying those taxes. In MN......they suck!

Thanks guys.

I also agree with not hunting it much till late season would be best. It is hard to do that when I have so much invested and really want to be in the woods. It is probably something I need to improve on moving forward. I hunted it till last weekend and won't hunt it again till end of October the same as I did last year.

I do have a very diverse piece as it is timber wise. I have a couple of hemlock "ribbons" that cut through the property. I have mutiple edges created by the timber and tree types. Most of my woods is very thick with lots of understory groth. I have hinge cut some areas but I don't think that has helped out much. I've hinged around my plots and you can't see out of them. I planted 10 apple trees this past fall. It will be a couple years yet.

I like the idea of the clover plot and it is something to consider just because I would not have to have big equipment to do it. But usually it seems to me clover is usually dead before the rut for us? But maybe you think the point of it is to just help the early season out. Maybe getting them to feed for the summer and early season would be enough would help? I don't know.

I have been thinking about posting an aerial of my land and trying to get some input and ideas on a plan moving forward especially with the logging coming up. Hopefully not only food plots, but making natual funnels and pinch points while logging. I have lots of ideas but I'm not sure which ones are good ideas and which ones are bad ideas.

I wouldn't look at your situation with no bucks outside of the rut as a 'problem'. This is not unheard of by any means, rarely do we get velvet pictures during the summer of the bucks we shoot during the season. On top of that, I watched a dandy 150 class buck for 3 years in a row during the summer only to have him disappear each fall. Extremely frustrating. It seems to me you have a doe paradise. Sounds like you are doing the right things to keep the women around and that will in turn bring in the bucks come the rut, as you are already seeing.

Use your situation to your advantage and keep it really calm in the early fall so the does stack up when your neighbors are bow hunting and spreading their sent around their property. Why burn out your property in Sept and Oct when there are no bucks around. Just practice your shooting and prepare to hunt them I November.

Another thing about this. And this admittedly is like a gambler that just can't stop. I look on the internet and read stories in magazines and on forums about guys chasing bucks early season. And having them named and have a "history" and find their sheds. None of that is available to me and that bugs me. Maybe it shouldn’t and it is more common than I think.

Another thing about this. And this admittedly is like a gambler that just can't stop. I look on the internet and read stories in magazines and on forums about guys chasing bucks early season. And having them named and have a "history" and find their sheds. None of that is available to me and that bugs me. Maybe it shouldn’t and it is more common than I think.

I think your expectations are out of line ... very few of us would make the cover or an article in a magazine, that is just reality. Stop reading those mags and watching deer TV shows and you will be less frustrated. I probably walk 10 miles for every shed I have found, finding a half dozen 130"-150" caliber sheds in my food plot has never happened.

For your size property, being that is flat, you need screening (hinge cutting, selective harvests, & pine/scrub plantings). I would stop focusing on holding deer and create structure that encourage deer to use your property as a travel corridor. If you want to focus on holding deer, focus on does. Transitional food plots could also help. That way the bucks will have the safety of cover to scent check your property for does bedding and can use your property as a transition area.

I was a bit disappointed the first few years but after a lot of sweat equity and some habitat improvement I wouldn't trade mine for any other. My neighbors are great,there's some nice deer around, and it's nice and secluded.

I probably walk 10 miles for every shed I have found, finding a half dozen 130"-150" caliber sheds in my food plot has never happened.

In reality, your experience shed hunting is closer to the truth for even us spoiled guys than finding "a half dozen 130"-150" caliber sheds in my food plot." When you see that kind of stuff on TV, it's often either in a high fence or the sheds are planted. Even on the primo grounds I've managed over the years, a very small % of the better bucks seem to shed on the food plots.

That said, I think Tree Spud gives some very good advice here. Not every parcel is made for raising deer. When it's not, do what you can encourage the bucks to visit (does and food) and focus on designing your place to produce stands that provide as high of odds of Mr. Big passing that stand when he is there as practically possible. It's just not possible to "grow" deer on every piece of ground. In fact, doing so on a lot of ground is a mistake, IMO.

I am fairly happy with the hunting land that I have, I wish for more, but know that I probably will never have it and that I should just enjoy the results of my various projects and failures.

I do struggle with our state management and the foolish ideas of issuing 5, 7, or 8 doe tags with low deer numbers. The hunters of state lands have it a whole lot worse.

I think your expectations are out of line ... very few of us would make the cover or an article in a magazine, that is just reality. Stop reading those mags and watching deer TV shows and you will be less frustrated. I probably walk 10 miles for every shed I have found, finding a half dozen 130"-150" caliber sheds in my food plot has never happened.

For your size property, being that is flat, you need screening (hinge cutting, selective harvests, & pine/scrub plantings). I would stop focusing on holding deer and create structure that encourage deer to use your property as a travel corridor. If you want to focus on holding deer, focus on does. Transitional food plots could also help. That way the bucks will have the safety of cover to scent check your property for does bedding and can use your property as a transition area.

Thanks. Just to clarify, I'm not looking to make magazines or become the next coming of Steve B. I should of probably not even posted that because that is probably only 2% of my frustration. It's mostly not having any bucks visit outside of the rut. Knowing I have virtually no shot until the rut kinda sucks.