How evil to be....?

Agree with this^

Looking at your map and maybe I see a house on his land. Does he live there? You also said you met him this week, did you get a feel for what kind of guy he is? It might be best to make a visit to him with a 6-pack and talk hunting, wounded animals, and property lines.

Your property....you are free to do as you wish. I would be placing at least a dummy cam as well just to try to keep them honest on their side of the fence.

Good fences make good neighbors!

Put a stand up on your side of the line.....now that's evil!!!!

Put a stand inside your line directly across from their stand is double evil ... :emoji_smiling_imp:

Put a stand inside your line directly across from their stand is double evil ... :emoji_smiling_imp:
That was what I was trying to communicate.....I guess I wasn't clear. Yes. Put a stand right next to their blind on the nearest tree you can find on your side. I am not sure I would use it....they may be vengeful and cut straps and the like, but my property I'll do what I want! Obviously if you can have a reasonable conversation about the entire thing then go that route first.....but, be prepared to fight fire with fire.

Just got around to having a perimeter access trail built on additional land we bought 6 months ago. Found two blinds of the neighbors right on the property line. There is a pinch point on my land leading into his. How evil would it be to put in some fence, hinge cut, etc., to basically cut off the deer flow to the neighbors land?

It would be an absolute dick move.... it is just land and their just deer - when people have to sabotage the land - you have to wonder why a person is owning it in the first place. I get some of it, and its obvious by the stand placement that they are hunting beyond the boundaries, but since you have only owned it 6 months and we're now just moving into this years hunting season I'd find out first their reason for hunting the lines... maybe they had permission, maybe your new purchase was never hunted and there were no issues.
Good neighbors are hard to come by, bad ones are a flipping nightmare and good neighbors that are turned into bad ones by over zealous new land owners peeing on the property lines can make you the bad guy of the neighborhood. The best advise was already given by a couple of prior posters. If your going to own the land for a long time and want to be able to track out that dream deer you shot that may have crossed the line - getting to know your neighbors in the right way is always a better approach -- and believe it or not sometimes doing nothing for a while is the best advise I was ever given. What Im saying is a generalization,,, if real problems are there and there is a problem history expectations need to be made clear but this is clearly not the case yet.
It all comes down to "should have bought more land and that is never enough because you will always have fence lines/neighbors" and if they want to put a stand near the line facing yours they can... and hating that will drive you nuts to the point that -that is what you will be thinking of all the time and then your that guy that "patrols" his land and is just the new neighborhood jerk. Its your land - and ultimately your choice, so to go the consequences and rewards and it will be somebody else when your past. How you handle this will be noted by your other neighboring property owners ...

"Looking at your map and maybe I see a house on his land. Does he live there? You also said you met him this week, did you get a feel for what kind of guy he is? It might be best to make a visit to him with a 6-pack and talk hunting, wounded animals, and property lines." this is likely thee best advise to follow, Catscratch nailed it.

Your problem is common fare in La. and frankly very tame . There were blinds all along my fence in the early days some even on trees on my side of the property. Poaching was rampant. I ultimately hired a sheriff in full uniform to ride my perimeter on a horse. When he was shot at with a 30-06 at close range I sued that miscreant till I was able to buy his property as part of the settlement.

Night hunting, running dogs across the property, taking down gates, cutting fences....it was quite an ordeal to gain control of the property even though I lived on it. I once had a truck flip upside down in a creek after a drunken night hunter failed to navigate a crossing. Best part is that he then took my tractor to pull his truck out.

Today all problems solved and there is peace in the valley.

Communication is key. I would want to know my neighbors and in 2 minutes you will know what kind of person he is. If he is a dink, I would hinge cut, or a tarp, etc so he can't see into your property. In Wi we can't trail deer without consent on neighboring property so its foolish to hunt on the lines.

I’d try talking with them first and see if you can come up with a solution that suits you both.
this... I'd probably try to be a decent neighbor first. You have the rest of your life to be an A hole if need be... No need to come out guns blazing out of the box.

I (wrongfully) trespassed onto a neighbors property a couple years back and ruined a morning hunt for him. Felt about 2" tall...

but it forced us to talk and have a relationship and, while I don't celebrate that I did it, we're better neighbors and able to deal with each other better now than before.

***side note, but I absolutely should have gone to his door and knocked before I just went onto his property

I did get a chance to speak with him yesterday. I really appreciated how he said if he ever shot a deer that went on my land, he'd come down and let me know. Only thing that took me back was in a 5 minute conversation, he made a point of saying twice he was an honest hunter....... I appreciate all the feedback here. I'm definitely going to put up some obvious trail cameras. I told him I had a lot up because trespassers were a problem. Going to hope for the best this year and then re-evaluate next year.

In post #27 above, Boone said in Wi. you must have consent to trail a hit deer on another's property. I've had to trail a deer that my son shot onto a neighbor's property. As soon as we saw the deer crossed the line, I told my son we'd go ask permission to follow up on the trail. It was bleeding heavily. The gents in the neighboring camp told us they'd push that section & put my son in the middle. They told us one way or the other, he'd get the deer - even if one of their guys finished it off.

By just taking the time to ask permission, these gentlemen sportsmen went above and beyond what they COULD have done - which was to refuse our entry to their land. My son killed the deer on the push, and they even brought a quad to bring the deer out for him. I re-paid their kindness and sportsmanship by dropping off a 1/2 gal. of Black Velvet that same season and the one following it. Relations between our 2 camps are excellent. I appreciated their sportsmanship and the example it showed my son.

this... I'd probably try to be a decent neighbor first. You have the rest of your life to be an A hole if need be... No need to come out guns blazing out of the box.

I (wrongfully) trespassed onto a neighbors property a couple years back and ruined a morning hunt for him. Felt about 2" tall...

but it forced us to talk and have a relationship and, while I don't celebrate that I did it, we're better neighbors and able to deal with each other better now than before.

***side note, but I absolutely should have gone to his door and knocked before I just went onto his property

sicus pacus parabellum ... and you have the rest of your life to be taken advantage of also ...

Talking is fine, but if you approach and start talking about "their" property, they will get defensive. If your try to be a friend before you know who they are, they will learn to take advantage of you.

If you think a "Meet n Greet" is important ... limit your self to a short intro meeting ... "Hi my name is Bob new neighbor, just wanted to drop my phone # off in case you ever need a hand. I also want to make sure that if you ever shoot a deer that runs onto my property, call me first so we can locate it together. I will respect the same approach if i should shoot one that runs on your property. ... Oh and btw the way, I have marked the property lines. I know this sounds stupid as you already know them, just don't want any of my group to stray and disrupt your hunting. "

Don't be a wussy and try to make friends, figure out how they respond to you first. Watch their actions the first season, that is the real test. Remember, your opening meeting with them will be repeated to everyone in town.

Property ownership & hunting is about Alpha males learning to coexist. Freindship comes later after you have developed trust.

sicus pacus parabellum ... latin for if you want peace, prepare for war ...

My neighbor owns a field and hedgerow, while I own 50 acres of woods. We share an entire boundary. He has shooting houses built in the fields and several stands along the edge of the field just over a rock wall. When I first bought the property and set up my stands, I tried to keep them away from the line on that side. I figured that he doesn't have any woods, so it seemed neighborly. I simply asked him to refrain from shooting into our woods, as we have kids hunting. Then I added a few trail cams.

We've never had a problem. I'm sure he thinks that all of the commotion on our property (planting, plots and such) has ruined his sanctuary, but so long as he doesn't sell to a developer, then I have a field rather than a condominium on my boundary. Such is life in suburbia. It pays to stay friends. And if he's ever tempted to sell, I'm right there with my checkbook in hand. We both shoot good deer and get trail shots of monsters that we never see :emoji_cry:. I was firm but friendly when we met, but I gave a little to get a little, too.

High fence your southern line and dog leg it north on the western line. Cut an opening where it benefits you on the east side.

Problem solved, but I can be a dick if I need to be.

I try My best to not hunt lines. I want to know a deer is going to die on my land. I hate asking permission to retrieve deer and have retired stands over it.

I did get a chance to speak with him yesterday. I really appreciated how he said if he ever shot a deer that went on my land, he'd come down and let me know. Only thing that took me back was in a 5 minute conversation, he made a point of saying twice he was an honest hunter....... I appreciate all the feedback here. I'm definitely going to put up some obvious trail cameras. I told him I had a lot up because trespassers were a problem. Going to hope for the best this year and then re-evaluate next year.

That's a good start ...

I send letters and/or emails before every opening day of bow season to all the land owners that border my property. I kindly ask them for permission to retrieve any wounded deer that runs onto their property. I ask them how they would like me to handle the situation. Call them first, call after retrieval etc. I state that I will grant reciprocity to them in return for their permission. I ask that I be called first and no vehicles come onto my land to get the deer. I do not assume that permission given last year was anything more than just that, permission for THAT year and not perpetual permission.

This approach has worked well for me with most of the neighbors responding in a positive manner. The others I just never heard back from at all. I keep a file with copies of all written responses. As I write this I realize that Sept. 15, WI bow hunting opening day is coming up in two weeks. Time for me to write and send my letters and emails.

biggest thing for me is the ethical harvest of an animal, how can they anticipate where an animal that has been shot is going to run? If it runs onto your property after he shoots it on his, will you give him permission to come retrieve? if situation is reversed, will he allow you to come retrieve what you have shot? I had a line sitter shoot a nice up and comer, real angular 8, nice double lung, bow shot, he never found it, and never contacted us to look for it, steamed me up a lot, it was 300 yds from the line, and straight down a run from his stand on his property.

I should clarify that in post #30 above, my son and I were not close to a property line - far from it. We were probably 350 to 400 yds. from the line. The deer he hit ran down a slope, crossed a creek, and then entered the neighbor's property.

I was not expecting the neighboring camp to be so friendly about the situation, but they went way beyond just letting us trail the deer on their land. I stop in and shoot the bull with the guys at that camp several times each year. This is also a camp that voluntarily stopped hunting does when deer became scarce in our area a few years back. True sportsmen.

". And if he's ever tempted to sell, I'm right there with my checkbook in hand. "

.......from personal experience, you may be surprised that this time comes sooner than you think!

bill

sicus pacus parabellum ... and you have the rest of your life to be taken advantage of also ...

Talking is fine, but if you approach and start talking about "their" property, they will get defensive. If your try to be a friend before you know who they are, they will learn to take advantage of you.

If you think a "Meet n Greet" is important ... limit your self to a short intro meeting ... "Hi my name is Bob new neighbor, just wanted to drop my phone # off in case you ever need a hand. I also want to make sure that if you ever shoot a deer that runs onto my property, call me first so we can locate it together. I will respect the same approach if i should shoot one that runs on your property. ... Oh and btw the way, I have marked the property lines. I know this sounds stupid as you already know them, just don't want any of my group to stray and disrupt your hunting. "

Don't be a wussy and try to make friends, figure out how they respond to you first. Watch their actions the first season, that is the real test. Remember, your opening meeting with them will be repeated to everyone in town.

Property ownership & hunting is about Alpha males learning to coexist. Freindship comes later after you have developed trust.

sicus pacus parabellum ... latin for if you want peace, prepare for war ...

May be true, but if you're amicable first, and it goes to pot, what's to keep you from burning the bridge and being a jerk the rest of your life? It's far easier to go that way than it is to be a jerk then try to ratchet things back.

There are guys in my community who play the game like you described, and no one wants anything to do with them. They may keep people off their property, but they are viewed as A-Holes and the only thing they have in their lives is that property, and no people to enjoy it with.

Hunting, IMO is not about being an alpha male. It's about enjoying the outdoors and passing it on to the next generation. I have no desire to fight and alienate myself over something as silly as a big buck or a deer, because the time will come when I need a hand and I know I'll be able to get it from those I've not "prepared war" against.

Preparing for war and declaring it aren't necessarily the same thing. It sounds like the OP has a good start, as long as the neighbor lives up to what he has said. It sounds like it's not a matter of "if" he has a deer cross the line onto your property, but "when", so being collegial when this happens if he lives up to the agreement should go a long way. In my opinion, there is no good reason to not allow someone to recover a wounded deer (under your rules/supervision, etc) if it was legally shot on their property unless you just want to be a jerk. If he shoots/goes where he is not allowed, then it's a whole different matter.