How evil to be....?

bjseiler

5 year old buck +
Just got around to having a perimeter access trail built on additional land we bought 6 months ago. Found two blinds of the neighbors right on the property line. There is a pinch point on my land leading into his. How evil would it be to put in some fence, hinge cut, etc., to basically cut off the deer flow to the neighbors land?

Just got around to having a perimeter access trail built on additional land we bought 6 months ago. Found two blinds of the neighbors right on the property line. There is a pinch point on my land leading into his. How evil would it be to put in some fence, hinge cut, etc., to basically cut off the deer flow to the neighbors land?

Happens all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If his blinds are facing your land absolutely.

If his blinds are facing your land absolutely.
This. Otherwise they are just people hunting their land. I'm not a fence sitter... but I can't complain about what other people do on the land they bought and pay taxes on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tap
I’d try talking with them first and see if you can come up with a solution that suits you both.

Your first mistake was to create a travel corridor around your property line, which results in clear shooting over you property line. You have essentially approved to them to line sit, especially during bow season ... easier shots with fewer shooting lane disruptions.

If you think you have a pinch point, and can redirect the deer movement ... you are giving up your property as a pinch point.

There is an old saying ... good fences make good neighbors. By eliminating all the shrubs and trees along your property line, you eliminated your visual "fence". The fact that you can now travel that route regularity means you will also be disrupting deer movement ... for them and you.

I only speak with experience, dealt with this for years. Replant your property line.

They have the right to improve their land so the deer stay there just as you have to right to do whatever is legal to make your habitat better also

Just remember the deer move from their land to yours too. Shifting that movement may or may not be good for you or them. Think it through before you act.

Unless you are putting up an 8' plus chainlink fence, you are not going to cut off deer flow to the neighbors property. Things like low fencing and hinge cutting can change their routes and movements but so will other changes to the habitat.

Keep in mind there is nothing wrong with putting a blind or stand near the boundary line. It is not something I would do, but as long as they are on their own land and not encroaching on to yours, you have real complaint.

I have a similar situation on a tiny parcel we just bought for a retirement home. It is only 16 acres and it will be a bit before we build. I plan to do a little bowhunting there in the interim. I found a ladder stand right on the property line. I don't yet know for sure who it belongs to since the previous owner of this parcel was absentee. I purchased an easement from the owner of the neighboring property and asked him about it. He didn't know (he doesn't reside there), but suspected it belongs to his renter.

For now, I'm doing nothing. I have not yet met the renter. I plan to casually ask him when I do. In the mean time, I'll put up my own stand elsewhere on the property for now and keep an eye on it.

For me, I'm moving into a new neighborhood and the last thing I want to do is cause issues with the neighbors. I'll take it slow, act respectfully, and see what happens.

On the farm where I manage and hunt, things are quiet different. We bought it from a timber company and it was leased to an out of town group but regularly poached by the locals. They tried the bully approach with us. It took a good 5 years of constant vigilance, reporting, and prosecution before trespass went from common to rare.

My point is simply that the total context becomes important.

Thanks,

jack

It does not seem to matter how much land someone owns, the best spot to hunt is right on his/your property line!!

Like you, I have cozy neighbors too, so we hunt a bit back from the line. I'm not ashamed to admit, I love it when we shoot a nice buck they have just moved to us getting to and from their property line stands. I can just imagine the frustration of hearing a rifle shot 75 yards onto our property just as they are getting to the stand. Oh well... it pays to pattern the neighbors.

Believe me, we've all had evil thoughts, but try to keep the peace. Ya never know when you might have to chase a wounded animal onto their property, and vice versa. Good luck.

Anyone putting a blind or stand on the property line facing your property has every intent of shooting onto your property and should be treated as a low life trespassing thief.

I had a similar situation. A new neighbor put up a pop up ground blind 5 feet from my surveyed and marked property line. All the shooting windows faced my land. He was trying to bow hunting an approach to my one acre standing corn field. I found an old wood style snow fence and tall fence posts. I put the snow fence exactly on the property line, high enough right in front of his blind so that he could not shoot his bow onto my land.
Problem solved with a perfectly legal action on my part, message sent to the neighbor. I did not cause this problem, but I did solve it as far as I was concerned. His blind disappeared almost immediately.
I want to add that this was only the first of a few problems with this particular neighbor. But that is another story.

Just make sure you don't cut off your nose to spite your face. People who hunt property lines are infuriating to me because there is basically a 50/50 chance their deer will run across the property line after being shot. Then it becomes my problem. In a jurisdiction where it becomes my deer, ok fine. But in a jurisdiction where it's still his deer, I would block off the movement to his stand temporarily. I understand that for some people hunting property lines is their only real option, but it's still annoying.

I agree with those who say pattern your neighbors. If you can do that, then that is probably your best bet. Take those lemons and make lemonade.

If you can't reasonably pattern the neighbors, then I would tend to agree with those who say you can change your property as you see fit. You have as much right to your land as they have to theirs. Consider temporary changes that you can undo after he moves his blind.

I had a similar situation. A new neighbor put up a pop up ground blind 5 feet from my surveyed and marked property line. All the shooting windows faced my land. He was trying to bow hunting an approach to my one acre standing corn field. I found an old wood style snow fence and tall fence posts. I put the snow fence exactly on the property line, high enough right in front of his blind so that he could not shoot his bow onto my land.
Problem solved with a perfectly legal action on my part, message sent to the neighbor. I did not cause this problem, but I did solve it as far as I was concerned. His blind disappeared almost immediately.
I want to add that this was only the first of a few problems with this particular neighbor. But that is another story.

I would bet dollars to donuts that he blames you for being a selfish inconsiderate jerk. I'm currently going through an expensive legal battle with a shabby neighbor. Some people are just bad people.

What about creating a visual blockade with hinge cutting?

bill

Your first mistake was to create a travel corridor around your property line, which results in clear shooting over you property line. You have essentially approved to them to line sit, especially during bow season ... easier shots with fewer shooting lane disruptions.

If you think you have a pinch point, and can redirect the deer movement ... you are giving up your property as a pinch point.

There is an old saying ... good fences make good neighbors. By eliminating all the shrubs and trees along your property line, you eliminated your visual "fence". The fact that you can now travel that route regularity means you will also be disrupting deer movement ... for them and you.

I only speak with experience, dealt with this for years. Replant your property line.

I was building the travel corridor as a way for me to loop around and more securely get into my blinds on another part of the property. I recently read the Steve Bartylla book and it seemed that in all of his diagrams, he was putting in perimeter access. I guess you disagree, but that was the logic.

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 7.38.23 AM.png
In the image above the little blue outline is the neighbor's property. 6 acres below my 130 which is everything above it. One of his blinds is right at the pin point of his property on the far east and the other is along the northern edge. The highway funnels them along that edge. The property to the right of his is state ground which I'm sure he will hunt as his own.

I made a really big mistake in that this property just changed hands. We decided the price was not worth it to buy and I was praying the new owner would not be a hunter. I met him this week and he is. If I were going to do fence or hinge cutting, I should have done it before the place sold so the new owner would have just assumed it was always like that. I think now I will just put up more trail cameras and see how this season goes.

I have patterned hunters on neighboring properties and used their comings & goings to my advantage. I'd put up a tree stand within sight of his blind ( the one that faces into your property ), and be there earlier than he gets there. If he moves deer to you from his place as he goes to his blind, you benefit. If he shoots onto your land, you can possibly be there to confront him about it & let him know where you stand on trespassing. If he sees you repeatedly sitting in your tree stand, able to see any deer before he does & HIM, if he shoots onto your property - he'll soon abandon that line blind.

I'd also place several cams to monitor the area.

I was building the travel corridor as a way for me to loop around and more securely get into my blinds on another part of the property. I recently read the Steve Bartylla book and it seemed that in all of his diagrams, he was putting in perimeter access. I guess you disagree, but that was the logic.

In the image above the little blue outline is the neighbor's property. 6 acres below my 130 which is everything above it. One of his blinds is right at the pin point of his property on the far east and the other is along the northern edge. The highway funnels them along that edge. The property to the right of his is state ground which I'm sure he will hunt as his own.

I made a really big mistake in that this property just changed hands. We decided the price was not worth it to buy and I was praying the new owner would not be a hunter. I met him this week and he is. If I were going to do fence or hinge cutting, I should have done it before the place sold so the new owner would have just assumed it was always like that. I think now I will just put up more trail cameras and see how this season goes.

I agree with perimeter access, but a solid screen on your fence or property line minimizes fence sitters from shooting into your property. It also screens their activities across the fence which can impact deer on your property.

I would plant a screen of conifers for long term screening and a second row at the line of hybrid poplars for fast screening.

Your property....you are free to do as you wish. I would be placing at least a dummy cam as well just to try to keep them honest on their side of the fence.

Good fences make good neighbors!

Put a stand up on your side of the line.....now that's evil!!!!

Last edited:
Good neighbors are very valuable, bad neighbors can be a nightmare. My opinion is a few game cameras on the line pointing his direction, in obvious spots that he can see them. Sometimes a small talk to the neighbor, letting him know that while sitting on the property lines is his right, and he can hunt his property as he sees fit, that you wont tolerate hunting, or shooting over property lines, because you try to manage your land for wildlife, and dont want any intruders. That may also be a good time to address what to do if a wounded animal crosses property lines, and how it should be addressed when the time comes, being hunting property lines makes it more likely to happen. I guess what I am trying to say is, try the friendly approach first and talk to them about it, then if that doesnt work, then you can resort to the evil tactics.