How do you handle hunting your unpressured land for the first time?

B

BJE80

Give me your thoughts on this. Let’s say you have not hunted or checked cams on a property for a month and have a week long to hunt on it starting Saturday.
You have two options which would you choose?
1. Go in Saturday morning and pick a stand you think will be hot. Waiting to check cams after your hunt that day.
2. When you arrive friday night. Sneak into the woods and check cams to try and gain some information what is going on and where you should hunting in the morning.
There has been no pressure now for a while. Do you value the "surprise" factor more or the having intelligence factor more?

That's a tough call. How easy are assessable are the cameras. If they are easy to get to, pull the cards. If they are deeper in the woods I would wait, but still hunt the morning.

A third option that I dont like but maybe someone else would is dont hunt Saturday Morning. and collect your cards\scout after the deer activity has settled down and then hunt that afternoon.

That's a tough call. How easy are assessable are the cameras. If they are easy to get to, pull the cards. If they are deeper in the woods I would wait, but still hunt the morning.

A third option that I dont like but maybe someone else would is dont hunt Saturday Morning. and collect your cards\scout after the deer activity has settled down and then hunt that afternoon.

Its big woods. Not a farm. I would pull three cards. From the two food plots and one on a main trail that typically is good during the rut. I do not take a ATV on the land during hunting season except to retrive deer.

Since this is your land and not some previously unhunted area, you should have some prior knowledge of the "normal" deer movements. I would leave it be on Friday, use what you know already and hunt the stand that you think will be the "best" for the given wind conditions, and tread lightly. If you want to check cams, do it during midday after your first morning hunt, otherwise I would stay out until then.

Since this is your land and not some previously unhunted area, you should have some prior knowledge of the "normal" deer movements. I would leave it be on Friday, use what you know already and hunt the stand that you think will be the "best" for the given wind conditions, and tread lightly. If you want to check cams, do it during midday after your first morning hunt, otherwise I would stay out until then.

Ding Ding Ding.............. This was my plan. :)

Option one with a twist. Walk in Saturday am,play the wind always, switch 1 card out, hunt, retrieve the other cards that nite. You can get away with alot at nite.

That is a great point. We have been known to hang a stand once in a while at midnight in a bedding area, and then get the hell out. Sounds crazy, but I do believe it works at the right time.

Cameras are a second priority, it's time to hunt! You know your land better than anyone, you've hung stands, and know your properties sweet spots. Besides, over the next couple weeks, anything goes.

Good comments guys.

Also, I really don't think I have ever put a game camera right in the bedding area. So it has not been a problem to check them. Do you guys really put them in there? I just put them on the ways in and out! maybe that ain't right?

Cameras are a second priority, it's time to hunt! You know your land better than anyone, you've hung stands, and know your properties sweet spots. Besides, over the next couple weeks, anything goes.
Agreed!

I like to keep my cameras along the routes I take to my stands, or in front of the stands themselves. I have two cards for each camera. On the way in Saturday morning change card in camera #1. On the way out change card in camera #2. If you change stands once during the day that's four potential cameras you could be gathering cards from with no extra effort. Your walking in and out anyways so there is little disturbance that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Plus why have cameras set where you don't intend to hunt. If all goes well you could be cleaning a deer Saturday instead of worrying about where to hunt. If Saturday is unsuccessful you will have time to evalute the data on the cards to form your gameplan going forward.

Agreed!

I like to keep my cameras along the routes I take to my stands, or in front of the stands themselves. I have two cards for each camera. On the way in Saturday morning change card in camera #1. On the way out change card in camera #2. If you change stands once during the day that's four potential cameras you could be gathering cards from with no extra effort. Your walking in and out anyways so there is little disturbance that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Plus why have cameras set where you don't intend to hunt. If all goes well you could be cleaning a deer Saturday instead of worrying about where to hunt. If Saturday is unsuccessful you will have time to evalute the data on the cards to form your gameplan going forward.

Just tell me which stand to hunt. I had it narrowed down to two and can't make up my mind (yet). Do I stick somewhat close to the main food source where the does will probably be hanging out but the bucks could be coming from anywhere and could avoid me pretty easy vs. A normal rut cruising spot a little ways away from the does? Just tell me which one is right. :)

The one you won't get busted in depending on wind direction. I would set up farther from bedding on the first day, you can always move to the stands that are closer as the week goes on. Don't ruin your chances by getting busted too deep into your property on the first day.

BJ I mean this with absolutely zero disrespect. I love my wife and respect her more than anything.but you sound like her picking up curtains the other week.just get out and enjoy yourself.

BJ I mean this with absolutely zero disrespect. I love my wife and respect her more than anything.but you sound like her picking up curtains the other week.just get out and enjoy yourself.

I was being somewhat tongue in cheek but thanks for the laugh. And yes. I will take that advice to heart. Thank you.

The one you won't get busted in depending on wind direction. I would set up farther from bedding on the first day, you can always move to the stands that are closer as the week goes on. Don't ruin your chances by getting busted too deep into your property on the first day.

I don't think they are bedding on my property. Think. But I think they are bedding close (within 100 yards) to boarder. Just my gut.

I don't think they are bedding on my property. Think. But I think they are bedding close (within 100 yards) to boarder. Just my gut.
Either way my comment still applies. Hunt the edges first and move in if you feel you must.

Last edited:
go with your knowledge of the place and what your gut tells you! You will otherwise talk yourself in circles. It's hunting - we use the info we have and the knowledge and skills at our disposal and do the best we can. It isn't perfect - it never is. What-if.....just leads to doubt and distraction. Go with what you know and what your gut tells you and you will be fine.

I don't use trailcams and I don't scout heavily before the season. I use my post season scouting notes and my years of hunting the property and thewind direction to point me to the right stand. If it comes down toa choice - follow your gut! Think - Long = think - wrong!

First day I'd hunt the food source so that I could hopefully see some does and observe if the bucks are paying them any attention and if so how much. Plus as you hunt throughout the week the daytime activity on the food source will likely decrease so the first day or two is probably your best shot at seeing a nice buck there.

If I were in your position, I would probably sit in a cruising area and not necessarily try to be right in with the does. I think the bucks will be covering ground, checking, since most of the does probably won't be in heat quite yet. The other option is to flip a coin. ;)

go with your knowledge of the place and what your gut tells you! You will otherwise talk yourself in circles. It's hunting - we use the info we have and the knowledge and skills at our disposal and do the best we can. It isn't perfect - it never is. What-if.....just leads to doubt and distraction. Go with what you know and what your gut tells you and you will be fine.

I don't use trailcams and I don't scout heavily before the season. I use my post season scouting notes and my years of hunting the property and thewind direction to point me to the right stand. If it comes down toa choice - follow your gut! Think - Long = think - wrong!
That's what the damn hunting shows and articles do. They give the impression hunting is scripted. That's one of the problems