How Big is Your Average Mature Deer - B&C?

I think people in my area have very pie in the sky thoughts about what 3.5 years olds should be. They will send 140’s and say I think he’s three. And I say I think I touch the water when I stand up and pee…
I think our average 3.5 is 115-125.
We've got pics now this year of 7 3.5 year olds and one may gross 130ish and the rest are probably all sub 125. These are history deer, recognizable from age 2.5 and in some cases 1.5

Sure pays to get these bucks to at least 4.5, unless you're strictly a meat hunter or a rookie or in a real tough area.

We've got pics now this year of 7 3.5 year olds and one may gross 130ish and the rest are probably all sub 125. These are history deer, recognizable from age 2.5 and in some cases 1.5

Sure pays to get these bucks to at least 4.5, unless you're strictly a meat hunter or a rookie or in a real tough area.
4.5 is the key age at our place for antlers. May be as big as they are ever going to be. And if they are a scrub buck at 3.5 - chances are very good he will always be that - put them in the freezer and give more food to the deer you want to keep

I see a couple huge body bucks with average racks every year in Minnesota. Like this one. Not sure on the age? But he’s well fed !
54E515F1-047F-4947-8A0C-78196DA01D41.jpeg3A8CD5BE-00CD-47EE-A8EE-618F1FD91E3D.jpeg

We have big bodied bucks that never grow a decent rack - fairly common, actually.

A whole bunch of 2 year olds chasing on my place right now and 1 for sure mature shooter, another i'm 80% leaning not a shooter. Then there's 1 or 2 like the one pictured below that I'd assume is at least 3? With how many young bucks are running around with better racks, I'm tempted to let something like this have it if given the opportunity. You guys think he's 3?

PICT2450.JPG

A whole bunch of 2 year olds chasing on my place right now and 1 for sure mature shooter, another i'm 80% leaning not a shooter. Then there's 1 or 2 like the one pictured below that I'd assume is at least 3? With how many young bucks are running around with better racks, I'm tempted to let something like this have it if given the opportunity. You guys think he's 3?

View attachment 59002
I would lead towards 2.5. Covering up the rack I could see this pass as a doe.

View attachment 59002
In south Arkansas - at least 4. That being said - it usually takes a 3 yr old buck to break 160 live wt, here.

Maybe the brisket is just throwing me off. All the 2 YOs running around dont seem to have that.
agree, big brisket, roman nose, body looks older than the rack. Pretty sure you're from way up north Gypsy, I might be fooled by a northern big bodied buck

View attachment 59002

In my area a 3 year old would have a little bit of a belly this time of year before chasing really picks up.

His body also doesn’t look quite as long as a 3 year old buck should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.5. Let us know when you send the jaw in!

I like that game where people cover of the rack and have everyone guess.

I see a couple huge body bucks with average racks every year in Minnesota. Like this one. Not sure on the age? But he’s well fed !
View attachment 56910View attachment 56911

I see the exact same thing here. My farm will generally end up with the oldest and most dominant buck in the area living here during the rut. I just don't know if it will be a booner or a 120 incher - it can go either way - but the body will always be enormous.

I know within a year how old this buck is, I have lots of pics of him. Any guesses ?10210115.jpeg10210138.jpeg

IMG_0224.jpegIMG_0560.jpeg

Those are as close as it gets to broadside pics. Keep in mind that our East Texas deer are the medium sized deer in Texas, not like the large bucks on the border of TX/OK or S TX. We also had a severe drought this year, and in fact are still suffering from it. Our does were skinny as hell, but are now putting on weight as they are no longer suckling fawns. Unfortunately, the coyotes caught most of the fawns, but that’s another story.

Edit to say after looking at the top pic I’m not sure tha’s him.

Last edited: