Help me compare a Land Pride LP500 drill with a Genesis 5 Light drill

Bear, I was just looking at that Greenscape 750 again. Seems to me this is more of a "seeder" approach than a drill. These are being sold quite heavily by Woods, Land Pride and more. As I understand it these are more of a minimum till seeder than a drill........in that they scatter the seeds and then cultipack them. That add I showed on the Greensccape thread has a guy that seems to know the biz listed in the add......I might be inclined to call him. Seems to know the product.

^ this is the same approach thet Brillion uses quite successfully for large scale farmers. They seem to like it......but it is not no-till.

Looks like a well made machine, but not sure you have a no tillage implement with one of those??? I think the design of these is much more like the Woods seeders??

I'm hearing more comment on the Genesis having too-thin of coulters.....and they are not standing up in rocky ground. Dunno......but that would be a concern to me.

How big of a tractor do you have? If I had just a bit more tractor.....and heavy soils.....I would have held-out for a 3 point GP six foot no till drill. Sorting this stuff out aint easy for guys that need to know.....like you and me. Grin. GOOD LUCK!

Sent you a PM.

Last edited:
Bear, I was just looking at that Greenscape 750 again. Seems to me this is more of a "seeder" approach than a drill. These are being sold quite heavily by Woods, Land Pride and more. As I understand it these are more of a minimum till seeder than a drill........in that they scatter the seeds and then cultipack them. That add I showed on the Greensccape thread has a guy that seems to know the biz listed in the add......I might be inclined to call him. Seems to know the product.

^ this is the same approach thet Brillion uses quite successfully for large scale farmers. They seem to like it......but it is not no-till.

Looks like a well made machine, but not sure you have a no tillage implement with one of those??? I think the design of these is much more like the Woods seeders??

I'm hearing more comment on the Genesis having too-thin of coulters.....and they are not standing up in rocky ground. Dunno......but that would be a concern to me.

How big of a tractor do you have? If I had just a bit more tractor.....and heavy soils.....I would have held-out for a 3 point GP six foot no till drill. Sorting this stuff out aint easy for guys that need to know.....like you and me. Grin. GOOD LUCK!

Sent you a PM.

I think you're mixing up models @Foggy47

The one he is talking about is designed like a SAYA but with cultipacker rather than roller basket.

Foggy not to hijack your thread but I have been going thru all the gyrations you have gone thru and we are even the same age ..one has to admit we don't likely have the years left in us to amortize out the cost of a GP/LP or even a Genesis ..that is one reason a Greenscape 750 keeps creeping into my thought process ..I too cannot find anywhere on the web the GS 750 being discussed let alone video and review ..but the Greenscape 750 has everything price, S & L seed boxes (especially like small seed discharging on a splash tray rather than dump in a deep furrow), front coulters, double seed openers, 1800+ lbs, ....but ..BUT uses a cultipacker which drives the mechanisms and not a press wheel system as closers ...then again the cultipacker is maybe a plus for the small seed??
The option of no coulters is likely not an option as I am in Southern Missouri gumbo heavy ground ..so such a quandary ..I will plant in September my beginning fall plant of the Grant Woods Buffalo system which I have covered with a Soil District 706NT no till rental ..( the thing is huge and it will not fit in to half my plots and I am now sawing down 30" white oaks just to throw some seeds
This is asinine that I have never laid eyes on ANY of the drills this thread has encompassed ..all the dealers around here are big row crop dealers where a 30 foot implement is what hobby farmers use so good luck to me finding a 5 or 6 foot no till drill to look at within 200 miles ...
So my next move I guess is to find the nearest dealer / or dealers in proximity of each other that have the 3 brands on my mind and take the boss of me on a little road trip and get some nagging questions answered ..

I know you are thinking take my wife to go look at farm implements right?? ..all I have to do is let her nose into a few quilt shops here n there and she is golden ..she needs airing out anyway as she is finally fully recovered from a knee replacement..

Good luck to all you guys who have bit the bullet on your equipment decisions and just find the good in them and enjoy!!

Bear

Bear, If you're worried about getting seed into heavy ground I just have a hard time seeing that 750 being what you want. It is not heavy for a no-till drill and fair bit of the weight is likely in the cultipacker which isn't going to help the coulters and openers penetrate much and also isn't going to put as focused of pressure on closing the trench. I think i mentioned it before but my 2100# 3' 7 row drill needs extra weight to get bigger seed buried reliably and my ground isn't crazy hard. Having coulters makes it harder to get the openers in the ground because they reduce the down pressure on the openers.

I'd bet something like this (https://www.tractorhouse.com/listin...and-pride-800-grain-drills-planting-equipment) for similar price as that greenscape would get seed in the ground better and you could load it up with weight if needed without concern about your tractor handling the weight on the 3 point. AND pull type tend to get more consistent seed placement on uneven ground.

^ My bad. I have been reading on this product(s) but it's hard to get all the info in one spot. I see that the same folks (BELCO) are the people offering the Greenscape products.......and they also offer assemble the Tar River Products. I beleive I would call them and talk to the sales reps about which is the best product for your needs.

One thing I did.....was to call Tar River and they put me in touch with the area sales rep (for Minnesota). That guy was VERY helpful and got me into the Tar River quite quickly. Still....mine was a leap of faith as I had never seen that drill and did not have the insight I do now.

Check out the attached brochure which shows Beaver Valley to be a distributor of the Greenscape products. They may be near you Bear?? (I will do some more research on this product.....as their is more on the web via google.). Also, that "cultipacker" wheel(s) is plastic.....and not steel as found in the seeders by woods, etc.

Last edited:
Well I admit to confusion on my part ..I'm like a deer in headlights .. but with coulters, double disc openers, large seed box, small seed box 1820 pounds is smells more no till than seeder ..IF it had press wheel closers it wouldn't even be a discussion ..it would be a no till drill by description ..not necessarily functional that is ...

What is really sucking me in is the small seed scattering on the seed tray to a top of the soil scattered position which is covered with moist thatch once the system is in full swing
Along with that is a cultipacker to better impress the top dressed small seed but then comes the question of how effective are large laying in the double opener trench

And that question has to be addressed with the soil conditions in mind ..if it is damp to ease the double openers job I would not expect the cutipactor to do much if any closing of the trench
If it is dry it is possible the cutipacker would disturb enough trench dirt to cove large seed box dropped seed

So what if ..what if the Greenscape 750 just leaves the seed in the bottom of the trench but in that trench is good moisture and covered with thatch ..I know which seed comes into the equation ..a soybean may very well react differently than a milo seed

Makes my head hurt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear

Sent you a PM.
Got the PM and will call tonight and thanks for the gracious offer
Tractor is a John Deere 5045E

Bear

Nice conversation tonight Bear....you are doing well to consider the machines we spoke of. My tractor is considerably less size and power than yours.....and I operate on far less acres than you are considering and in easier conditions. I own a relatively small tractor by choice.....as I need to operate around considerable timber and my pole shed only has a ten foot high door. I barely fit under the door with my L-3560 HStC Kubota (but I got a cab 😁). If my tractor was a bit larger in weight and HP.....and I operated more land....I believe I would step up to a GP3P606 NT......and not look back.

^ easy for me to say that on other peoples money. Grin. The price tag on the suggested equipment is not cheap. Tractor house shows several new and used drills of that model.

Nice conversation tonight Bear....you are doing well to consider the machines we spoke of. My tractor is considerably less size and power than yours.....and I operate on far less acres than you are considering and in easier conditions. I own a relatively small tractor by choice.....as I need to operate around considerable timber and my pole shed only has a ten foot high door. I barely fit under the door with my L-3560 HStC Kubota (but I got a cab 😁). If my tractor was a bit larger in weight and HP.....and I operated more land....I believe I would step up to a GP3P606 NT......and not look back.

^ easy for me to say that on other peoples money. Grin. The price tag on the suggested equipment is not cheap. Tractor house shows several new and used drills of that model.
Same here really.. enjoyed our visit and you are a fountain of information and experience ..it certainly helps that we are both trying to do the exact same conservation efforts of land and habitat improvement

Happy drilling old son

Bear

Man.....I feel like such an idiot.

I had somewhat of a snakebite experience(s) with my new to me Great Plains 3P500 drill recently. First I had some issues calibrating and I struggled to get the right rate of seeds out of the drill. Thankfully it was too small of output.....and I was able to correct it and with a bit of logic I was able to get the rates set "close enough" on two occasions. In so doing I discovered the large seedbox slide handle stop was incorrectly installed and a few other strange things......and I muddled through. Kinda thought I may have bought a lemon.....or the transmission was screwed up....or ? Then on Tuesday.....we had fair chance of rains coming.....and I decided to plant my brassica / clover fall mix. I really struggeled with getting a calibration set.....and I was again all over the place. Was wasting allot of time I did not have to waste....and was quite upset with the drill. So I went with a somewhat light setting and worked up......having to reseed some of my ground.....but I did more or less get the proper lbs / acre down. Was pretty upset with this tho.....as seeding the brassica to the correct weights is a big thing to me.

I had to do a road trip on Wed and Thursday for a funeral......so I was not able to re-adress my issues until today. Muddled about this for two days on my road trip.....and was pretty disgusted with the new drill......wondered why I didn't just keep the "old" Tar River......because it was doing the job better than the #$%^&*() Great Plains. Yadda, Yadda. I re-checked my calibration math....and it was spot-on. Grrrrrrrrr.

Today, I dawned on me.......despite looking at the drive multiple times.......I was turning the calibration crank the wrong direction. I was turning clockwise instead of counterclockwise. DUH!
I feel like such an idiot. Did another quick look at the manual before leaving my ground today.....and saw no mention of the direction to turn the crank. I can remember looking at the wheel.....and deciding the rotation direction and even marking my drill in the area of the crank with "42 rotations....and a direction arrow". (the wrong way!). What a dope!

It was too humid to hang out much more today....but I did do one quick calibration with some red clover and turning the crank in the other direction. Came out quite close to the anticipated rate. I suppose all is well that ends well. But........Duh!

While at my deer land today.....I did take a look at the CROP CARE FOAM MARKER system I have. Another member here asked me about it via a PM (where I cannot post a pic). With the plastic case manual removed from where it was located on my drill.....I have a good spot to mount the tank and motor that makes the foam . Then its simply a mater of routing lines to a drop tube on either side of the drill. It's really difficult to find where I have drilled seeds in some of the clover and rye that I am seeding for the fall. The marker was on sale about two years ago (in fall) and I used it on my old tar river drill. Nice set up and quite compact. Here is a pic of the marker "package".

I think I can get rid of most of those galvanized brackets located at the bottom of the unit. The unit plugs-in to my tractor's accessory outlet....and has an on/off switch to activate. Simple.

tempImagelr1dmm.jpg

My wife and I spent two full days cleaning out and re-arranging my pole shed. Added two new shelve units and re-arranged EVERYTHING.....and cleaned under EVERYTHING. Big job and I know I would not have completed this without my wife's help ( I simply would have quit.). It's been at least 6 or 7 years since we did a thorough cleaning.....and 15 years since building the shed. We threw out lots of stuff that we dont use anymore and we will give some stuff to our family and other stuff to our church for their twice a year rummage sale.

Anyway.....one of the boxes I was throwing out.....had the description of the Crop Care Foam Marker set up talked about above. I would imagine this thing will supply foam marking for about 1/2 day of operation.....maybe more. I've never run out. It's a pretty sweet set up and I'm going to mount it on my drill in the next few weeks. Will post a pic when I get 'er done.
tempImageR5scNK.jpg

The president of RTP Outdoors did a NT presentation at the deer steward event this week. During the "break time" he answered questions from the group. For those interested, they are coming out with updated Genesis 5 and 8 drills. The new models will eliminate the "light" and "heavy" versions for one 5 and one 8. The 3' will continue as a three point or ATV option, and they will continue to allow special orders for pull behind rather than 3 point drills for those who would prefer that option.

Enhancements include brackets for users to add weights as needed. Other improvements will include box dividers to allow planting alternative seeds.

Didn't really sound like anything major, and my guess is that the box dividers will be available for existing drills, although I didn't ask that question specifically.

The president of RTP Outdoors did a NT presentation at the deer steward event this week. During the "break time" he answered questions from the group. For those interested, they are coming out with updated Genesis 5 and 8 drills. The new models will eliminate the "light" and "heavy" versions for one 5 and one 8. The 3' will continue as a three point or ATV option, and they will continue to allow special orders for pull behind rather than 3 point drills for those who would prefer that option.

Enhancements include brackets for users to add weights as needed. Other improvements will include box dividers to allow planting alternative seeds.

Didn't really sound like anything major, and my guess is that the box dividers will be available for existing drills, although I didn't ask that question specifically.

So they just aren’t making the heavy 5s and 8s or what are they eliminating?

So they just aren’t making the heavy 5s and 8s or what are they eliminating?
They are eliminating the heavy 5 and 8, and going with an "add weight" option to the new single model line. So, if someone is in the market for a heavy 5 or 8, get one now.

The rationale was interesting. He said that too often a potential customer would come to a dealer wanting a light, and all they had was a heavy, or vis-a-versa. Plus, there was a perception that one was "good" and the other "not so good." Thus the single line will mitigate those issues. It was an interesting presentation.

Apparently the "heavy" version was the request by Grant Wood, who he credits as a co-designer. The rocky soil of the Proving Grounds necessitated a heavier drill. However, the discs and colters are the same for both models, so adding the weights (according to the presentation) will accomplish the same goal.

IMG_3027.jpeg
RTP Outdoors President (sitting) and Craig Harper discuss the benefits to No-Till and the options for those without such equipment.

They are eliminating the heavy 5 and 8, and going with an "add weight" option to the new single model line. So, if someone is in the market for a heavy 5 or 8, get one now.

The rationale was interesting. He said that too often a potential customer would come to a dealer wanting a light, and all they had was a heavy, or vis-a-versa. Plus, there was a perception that one was "good" and the other "not so good." Thus the single line will mitigate those issues. It was an interesting presentation.

Apparently the "heavy" version was the request by Grant Wood, who he credits as a co-designer. The rocky soil of the Proving Grounds necessitated a heavier drill. However, the discs and colters are the same for both models, so adding the weights (according to the presentation) will accomplish the same goal.

Makes perfect sense.

Local dealer told me that he saw no reason to buy the heavy version and that the front counters were not needed. Also said the small seedbex was not needed if you buy mixes......and that large seeds push the smaller seeds up when they germinate. Maybe. Dunno. I did read of several folks complaining about damage to the double disks in rocky soils. Maybe too much weight for the thickness/temper of those opener blades?

No experience.....just concerns. They have sold allot of drills.....seems like a good product.

Man.....I feel like such an idiot.

I had somewhat of a snakebite experience(s) with my new to me Great Plains 3P500 drill recently. First I had some issues calibrating and I struggled to get the right rate of seeds out of the drill. Thankfully it was too small of output.....and I was able to correct it and with a bit of logic I was able to get the rates set "close enough" on two occasions. In so doing I discovered the large seedbox slide handle stop was incorrectly installed and a few other strange things......and I muddled through. Kinda thought I may have bought a lemon.....or the transmission was screwed up....or ? Then on Tuesday.....we had fair chance of rains coming.....and I decided to plant my brassica / clover fall mix. I really struggeled with getting a calibration set.....and I was again all over the place. Was wasting allot of time I did not have to waste....and was quite upset with the drill. So I went with a somewhat light setting and worked up......having to reseed some of my ground.....but I did more or less get the proper lbs / acre down. Was pretty upset with this tho.....as seeding the brassica to the correct weights is a big thing to me.

I had to do a road trip on Wed and Thursday for a funeral......so I was not able to re-adress my issues until today. Muddled about this for two days on my road trip.....and was pretty disgusted with the new drill......wondered why I didn't just keep the "old" Tar River......because it was doing the job better than the #$%^&*() Great Plains. Yadda, Yadda. I re-checked my calibration math....and it was spot-on. Grrrrrrrrr.

Today, I dawned on me.......despite looking at the drive multiple times.......I was turning the calibration crank the wrong direction. I was turning clockwise instead of counterclockwise. DUH!
I feel like such an idiot. Did another quick look at the manual before leaving my ground today.....and saw no mention of the direction to turn the crank. I can remember looking at the wheel.....and deciding the rotation direction and even marking my drill in the area of the crank with "42 rotations....and a direction arrow". (the wrong way!). What a dope!

It was too humid to hang out much more today....but I did do one quick calibration with some red clover and turning the crank in the other direction. Came out quite close to the anticipated rate. I suppose all is well that ends well. But........Duh!
Well pardner ..you might feel like you just told a story on your yourself but I am quite sure you saved me from me as I delve into my new to me 3 point 606NT
So thanks

Bear

View attachment 54724
RTP Outdoors President (sitting) and Craig Harper discuss the benefits to No-Till and the options for those without such equipment.
Thanks for the clarification/update.

Also, that's Kip Adams, not Craig Harper.

View attachment 54724
If the owner would sit on the back of all the models they definitely don’t need a heavy model…
I kid cause I’m jealous of all you drillers.

Thanks for the clarification/update.

Also, that's Kip Adams, not Craig Harper.
Thanks for the correction....For those who don't know Craig, here is his picture...at this point in the class he is having us count seeds in a field once they have been drilled for placement and depth. Craig would often pick a plant and expound on its virtues or vices.

IMG_3025.jpeg