Hauling Storage Container?

If you get into an accident and your load is illegal then the guy you hit will own your truck, trailer, land, 401k, wife, dog, etc. Not worth the risk to me because of that.
That would hurt to lose most of those things.

Can you pull it....probably. Should you pull it....Ummm, I personally would not. Too much liability involved. You run into wind or rain and that thing gets moving around on you and your going to be in a world of hurt. I am all for being fiscally conservative...but saving a few bucks isn't going to be worth it if someone gets hurt. Also most of the places that transport them will be far better at putting it where you want it vs creating another challenge or danger when your trying to screw with it from that aspect as well.

My brother used to haul his JD tractor with his pickup. He was a good 2.5x over his towing capacity.

It's not a problem till it's a problem.

A guy that works in the office next to me is a member of the local volunteer fire department. We are about 3 miles N. of interstate 90. At least once a year they get out on a call involving someone pulling (or should I say being pushed by) a load much bigger than they should have been hauling with their 1/2 ton pickup or suburban.

I dont think the weight of 4500 pounds is that much, it is the fact it is a parachute, and will really suck to pull. He only said it was a half ton truck, he did not specify which half ton truck. New half ton trucks are rated to pull about 3 times that. A 2018 F150 is rated to pull 13,200 pounds, so a 4500 pound tow load will be nothing really.

"it is the fact it is a parachute"

Yep that thing will have a ton of drag.

If you set on gravel pad there will be airflow as there are usually tie down slots on side at the bottom.Impossible to break into is far from truth.Now with battery grinder and sawsall I could be in side one in a couple minutes.I cut holes in mine to screw vents to so it has air flow inside.These are only 6x12 or so but easiy to cut.I have also seen some that they grinded the hinges and popped doors off.There are different metals that these are made of and you can google to see what differences are.One type is cordon steel I believe

I always try to do jobs myself if I have the proper equipment for the job. Sometimes it is just better to analyze the situation and hire out the job. After reading this thread, my advice would be for you to let someone else with more professional experience in just this type of work do the job for you. If you do attempt it yourself, I would definitely advise you to check your automobile insurance policy to see if you have coverage for this type of activity before hand. Either way you decide to go, good luck with your project.

Has anyone on here tried hauling a storage container themselves? I found a trailer that will work. Got a half ton truck with trailer brake control and the container weighs 4500. Would you guys be afraid to try and tackle moving it 200 miles with that set up. They would load it, still trying to figure out how to smoothly get it off the trailer.
Sounds like a 20 footer, 1/2 ton will work if its close and no big grades. I paid a guy to haul mine, he used a high lift jack to lift it up, and 2 large pipes for rollers, his trailer had a winch on it. he got the end up, backed under it (20 foot flatbed trailer) and with his rollers, rolled it up. Jacked the container up, removed rollers, hauled it 300 miles to my place, with his rollers and hi lift jack, he dropped it off seamlessly right where i wanted it. I have all the corners marked. He hit it dead on.

His only tools was the 2 pipes, hi lift jack and winch mounted on front of trailer. I found him on craiglist. Nice guy.
Picture below if final project, finished with roof and paint. I set it on an 8" thick gravel bed, packed and leveled, then added screens over forklift slots to keep varmints out from under it.

With 4500-4800 lbs, then weight of trailer, do you have a ball and hitch rated for more than 5000#? I hope so. Stinger must be rated for over 5000# also.

Attachments

• container_painted_frontLH.jpg
    container_painted_frontLH.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 23
Weight wise, not a big deal as long as the trailer brakes work well, you will be able to pull it. My 02 F150 hauled this trailer full of lumber with well over 10,000 pounds, more like 14,000 pounds without the trailer, it grunted, but it pulled it without any problems what so ever.

View attachment 23244View attachment 23245

I have also hauled a Cat 272D with it, and that weighs a good 10,000 pounds, as long as it is centered on my trailer, it pulls really well. Is it legal, probably not, is it good for my F150 truck, no. But the trailer is the one holding the weight, my truck just pulls it, and is in control of stopping it. I don’t do this on a regular basis, but I have done it, and at no time did I feel like it was unsafe to do.
Most modern 1/2 tons are rated to pull 10,000 TO 11,500# now.

I have one that was hauled on a flatbed. Mine is on the ground, but should be on blocks. Had a roof vent cut for passive turbine ventilator. but turbine got damaged early and I never replaced. Moisture inside is definitely an issue, so I'll be ventilating again soon. Used it to store my Bobcat T770!. Have lifted and moved it with the 770 but did not lift the whole thing at once. If you are going to tow, watch your tongue weight as well. I hauled a smaller Bobcat years ago with my Expedition, and I think that may be what started the failure of my self leveling bags. Lots of reasons to think twice about moving it yourself. Lastly, they are definitely stout, but they are only as stout as the weakest link: your lock choice. I went with a padlock because I could park the ATV at the far end, then park the T770 to block it. They make some beast locks that "straddle" the bars for the handles. If I had not had the T770, I would have gotten one of those.

I have one that was hauled on a flatbed. Mine is on the ground, but should be on blocks. Had a roof vent cut for passive turbine ventilator. but turbine got damaged early and I never replaced. Moisture inside is definitely an issue, so I'll be ventilating again soon. Used it to store my Bobcat T770!. Have lifted and moved it with the 770 but did not lift the whole thing at once. If you are going to tow, watch your tongue weight as well. I hauled a smaller Bobcat years ago with my Expedition, and I think that may be what started the failure of my self leveling bags. Lots of reasons to think twice about moving it yourself. Lastly, they are definitely stout, but they are only as stout as the weakest link: your lock choice. I went with a padlock because I could park the ATV at the far end, then park the T770 to block it. They make some beast locks that "straddle" the bars for the handles. If I had not had the T770, I would have gotten one of those.

Weedy, I added 6 vents on mine, all on the side, 3 near top on one side, 3 near bottom other side. They have a baffle and a roof to keep out eyes, weather and a screen for bugs. Plus the roof over top, zero sweat, not humid at all.