Hauling Storage Container?

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
Has anyone on here tried hauling a storage container themselves? I found a trailer that will work. Got a half ton truck with trailer brake control and the container weighs 4500. Would you guys be afraid to try and tackle moving it 200 miles with that set up. They would load it, still trying to figure out how to smoothly get it off the trailer.

Easiest way is a flat bed tow truck,they just winch up and winch off

I wouldn't be afraid to move it ,but it all depends how comfortable you are with hauling a 7-8k load including the trailer. You woul essentially be towing a 20" camper as far as the wind goes.
Unloading depends in the type of trailer you have. You could either drag it off with something, anchor it to something and drive off. Or find a neighbor with something strong enough to unload it, a large skid steer would work.
FYI I haul heavy equipment and other things on a almost daily basis, don't do something your not comfortable with.

I guess the real reason I am asking is that you just don't come across any being hauled around with pick ups. Want to make sure that I am not underestimating something. Was kind of thinking of chaining it to a tree a driving off slowly. What is the lift capacity of say a 770 bobcat?

Can speak for a 770 but our t300 breaks out at around 6500 lbs.

006FCF06-F739-4D58-BC55-22E841DDE840.png

I wouldn't be afraid to move it ,but it all depends how comfortable you are with hauling a 7-8k load including the trailer. You woul essentially be towing a 20" camper as far as the wind goes.
Unloading depends in the type of trailer you have. You could either drag it off with something, anchor it to something and drive off. Or find a neighbor with something strong enough to unload it, a large skid steer would work.
FYI I haul heavy equipment and other things on a almost daily basis, don't do something your not comfortable with.

This pretty much echoes my thoughts, the truck should be able to handle the load, I have pulled more then double that with my F150, but not for 200 miles. The 8000 pound weight wont be the challenge, it is the fact of pulling that big parachute that is on the trailer. Plus pulling that rig 200 miles, you probably will be lucky to get 6mpg, so add that into your comparison. I had someone haul my skid ice house on his flatbed tow truck, he charged me $1.00 per mile loaded, $.50 empty, that is $300, not sure the savings would be worth it.

I have been thinking about this for a long time. I don't have a way to transport. I'm more curious about the use and configuration once you get it where you're going. I would love to have one on my property as I hear they are nearly impossible to break in to. My place is 3 miles up a dirt road into the woods, so if someone was trying they would have a lot of "alone time". Do you think it's secure enough to store something like an ATV in?

Also, what are you putting it on once you get it on site? A frame? The ground? Blocks?

I will be storing my junk that I use up at the land including a atv. My plan was to just level out the corners on some type of pad. Suppose it would be good to allow some airflow underneath. I am also going to add some vents to let the container breathe a little. They do seem quite secure and solid from what I have seen.

Had a thought of trying to get it done before the melt. But after thinking about it, Im gonna wait till it thaws and the ground firms up. It will just be so much easier to maneuver the trailer then.

This pretty much echoes my thoughts, the truck should be able to handle the load, I have pulled more then double that with my F150, but not for 200 miles. The 8000 pound weight wont be the challenge, it is the fact of pulling that big parachute that is on the trailer. Plus pulling that rig 200 miles, you probably will be lucky to get 6mpg, so add that into your comparison. I had someone haul my skid ice house on his flatbed tow truck, he charged me $1.00 per mile loaded, $.50 empty, that is $300, not sure the savings would be worth it.

That seems like some super cheap rates. Did you know the guy or was it a towing company?

Both, I did know the guy, and he owns a towing company. But I did tell him not to give me a good guy discount, and he did tell me that he would charge me full price. I also gave him plenty of time, and let him do it when he was slow, and just wanted some work.

How much was the container if you don't mind my asking. I've always said that once I know the price, I'll end up doing it...

No way in hell would I do that with a 1/2 ton truck even if you do have air bags under it.

No way in hell would I do that with a 1/2 ton truck even if you do have air bags under it.

Weight wise, not a big deal as long as the trailer brakes work well, you will be able to pull it. My 02 F150 hauled this trailer full of lumber with well over 10,000 pounds, more like 14,000 pounds without the trailer, it grunted, but it pulled it without any problems what so ever.

8D5BFFCC-00D1-47FA-B914-AE2FD8A5737B.png65C35983-31C2-4ADE-A9AE-1B76FF757CD6.png

I have also hauled a Cat 272D with it, and that weighs a good 10,000 pounds, as long as it is centered on my trailer, it pulls really well. Is it legal, probably not, is it good for my F150 truck, no. But the trailer is the one holding the weight, my truck just pulls it, and is in control of stopping it. I don’t do this on a regular basis, but I have done it, and at no time did I feel like it was unsafe to do.

I would find a company that moves and places those storage sheds and pay them to do it.

If you get into an accident and your load is illegal then the guy you hit will own your truck, trailer, land, 401k, wife, dog, etc. Not worth the risk to me because of that.

I'm not saying a half ton truck doesnt have adequate power to pull it. The brakes, transmission, and weight of the truck is what you need to be concerned about.

I guess as far as the weight I don't think it would be any different than pulling a camper around. The trailer has its own brakes. Ben brought up a good point as far as legality. I tried looking up the regs on securing loads. Didn't see much other than maximum height and a certain number of straps.

How much was the container if you don't mind my asking. I've always said that once I know the price, I'll end up doing it...

I paid about 3k for a new 20 footer delivered about 70 miles... Bought in Twin Cities, delivered to Wester WI. Placed it on blocks for airflow and made a ramp. Works great for secure storage. I was worried about moisture issues, but I didn't see any problems in the first year. It's the more modern style with extra vents which I think helps.