Habitat out loud

My asparagus crop is on deck next. The plant girth is where I want it, so I’ll be cutting next year.

This is gonna be high carbon / mega mycorhizal fungi asparagus. Lots of wood in here.

df8eba2ba8e64e9df0e92b94368b2f48.jpg

aca8d6cc311a63c2a27cea7eedbcaae8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an impressive asparagus patch. How long ago did you plant those?

The rib eye steak, green beans and tomatoes look great as well.

That's an impressive asparagus patch. How long ago did you plant those?
I built that and planted it in June of 2023. I got potted plants from fleet farm. Amazingly cheap. 32 plants was like $25 and I had maybe $150 in lumber.

That's some great asparagus growth. I typically plant my asparagus on a random grassy fenceline or opening and then walk away. It takes those asparagus 3-4 years to get the size of the plants you planted last year. I just assumed asparagus grow really slow, but it appears I was wrong and they can grow much faster if you eliminate the competition.

That's some great asparagus growth. I typically plant my asparagus on a random grassy fenceline or opening and then walk away. It takes those asparagus 3-4 years to get the size of the plants you planted last year. I just assumed asparagus grow really slow, but it appears I was wrong and they can grow much faster if you eliminate the competition.

I even forgot to lime that one. I got lucky this year with all the rain, and I had a good batch of rotted wood for that bed. The mushrooms that the wood threw off right away were massive. Serving platter sized mushroom clusters pushing up 4” of wood chip mulch. So the myco strategy is up and running and it’s brought those stems to the thickness I was hoping for. The stem clusters are really tight and crowded, so I’ll have to keep an eye on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk