Habitat out loud

My asparagus crop is on deck next. The plant girth is where I want it, so I’ll be cutting next year.

This is gonna be high carbon / mega mycorhizal fungi asparagus. Lots of wood in here.

df8eba2ba8e64e9df0e92b94368b2f48.jpg

aca8d6cc311a63c2a27cea7eedbcaae8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an impressive asparagus patch. How long ago did you plant those?

The rib eye steak, green beans and tomatoes look great as well.

That's an impressive asparagus patch. How long ago did you plant those?
I built that and planted it in June of 2023. I got potted plants from fleet farm. Amazingly cheap. 32 plants was like $25 and I had maybe $150 in lumber.

That's some great asparagus growth. I typically plant my asparagus on a random grassy fenceline or opening and then walk away. It takes those asparagus 3-4 years to get the size of the plants you planted last year. I just assumed asparagus grow really slow, but it appears I was wrong and they can grow much faster if you eliminate the competition.

That's some great asparagus growth. I typically plant my asparagus on a random grassy fenceline or opening and then walk away. It takes those asparagus 3-4 years to get the size of the plants you planted last year. I just assumed asparagus grow really slow, but it appears I was wrong and they can grow much faster if you eliminate the competition.

I even forgot to lime that one. I got lucky this year with all the rain, and I had a good batch of rotted wood for that bed. The mushrooms that the wood threw off right away were massive. Serving platter sized mushroom clusters pushing up 4” of wood chip mulch. So the myco strategy is up and running and it’s brought those stems to the thickness I was hoping for. The stem clusters are really tight and crowded, so I’ll have to keep an eye on that.

Big weekend here. I tried a local garlic this last year and it grew great. I doubled down and tracked down even more to plant back. There is no comparison to Chinese water treatment plant garlic.

137 cloves will get planted today. The flavor, aroma, and clove size is like nothing I’ve ever seen. This is a single clove sitting on a shot glass.

bfe2112766283d455fca4c1c7f652144.jpg

6208bd03310c966213c417168131acf6.jpg

ae7d870f9125ef176a9956e9bc0c9636.jpg

Soon as it quits raining, I’ve got to plant that and 5 bags of winter trit.

I put in 64 cloves today. About half was from some stuff that originally came over on a boat from Italy in the late 40’s. Cloves are the same size as what SD posted. Hope it does well for you SD

I put in 64 cloves today. About half was from some stuff that originally came over on a boat from Italy in the late 40’s. Cloves are the same size as what SD posted. Hope it does well for you SD
I got all of mine in. It took up 2/3 of my raised bed space that's producing right now. I've got another bed I've got to tear apart, rebuild the outside, and add more topsoil to it. So I've got one bed that's gotta get rebuilt, and I lost my aspragus bed as that's gotten mature and i don't have free room between the plants anymore. So I need to build another bed in the spring.

Just bumped into this you tube video on making a Hugle. They dig a hole instead of a raised bed. Advantages one way or the other? (not that I intend to do either...lol)

If I could dig down, I certainly would to tap into better moisture. But that takes more money, and these beds are expensive enough.

Just bumped into this you tube video on making a Hugle. They dig a hole instead of a raised bed. Advantages one way or the other? (not that I intend to do either...lol)

When I dug down to plant garlic this weekend, my beds were drier than I'd like. I even mixed in rotted sawdust to the one, and it was still a tad clumpy and hard. Gonna need to start pouring the grass clippings to that to soften it up a little more.

When I dug down to plant garlic this weekend, my beds were drier than I'd like. I even mixed in rotted sawdust to the one, and it was still a tad clumpy and hard. Gonna need to start pouring the grass clippings to that to soften it up a little more.
A compact tractor and a loader would have you digging long hooogle trenches like a pro. Grin. Then you could buy that flail mower and you would be golden. (It's a matter of time.....until you succumb to the tractor thing....lol)