All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Habitat map

mtholton

5 year old buck +
I have a few volunteers willing to help plant trees this spring and wanted to be able to point out planting locations since there will be multiple planting sites going in at the same time. I map a large laminated map to help out. Directions below. Turned out pretty good.

I used google earth pro to download a high res map of my land. Make sure to use highest res in the settings. If you haven’t used it before it’s worth downloading. A neat feature is that you can look at prior year satellite views as well. It allows you to see your property in different seasons. You can also overlay elevation and adjust the opacity. You can also change the view angle which helps show elevation. I used vista print to print two maps - a larger area view of my land and a close up of the property. 18 x 24 size. 9 bucks for that size. I purchased self laminating paper. Scotch Single-Sided Laminating Sheets, 9 x 12-Inches, Letter Size (LS854SS-10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013C7V24?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf . Now I can use a dry erase marker to show work areas etc. Figure we can hang on wall in camp to point out stands etc in the future. Should get the job done for 20 bucks. If I do it again, I’ll bring it into a office supply store to get it professionally laminated. The sheets aren’t perfect I had some bubbles and overlap. Aside from that it should serve its purpose. Next round I’ll do an elevation overlay as well.

Attachments

• 9EB0FBF6-BCE9-429E-9556-FEDA4B5F66EC.jpeg
    9EB0FBF6-BCE9-429E-9556-FEDA4B5F66EC.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 136
  • B92E89CB-7EDC-4A9D-A158-155D3709FEA7.jpeg
    B92E89CB-7EDC-4A9D-A158-155D3709FEA7.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 132
Nice job with the map. It looks good.

how do you overlay the elevation?

I didn't know you could get various season pictures, is that like a subscription type app?

There's a company I use often called eagle view, measures buildings dimensions down to the inch and all pitches of roofs ext. Down right amazing and a bit scary actually. Even window sizes. Always thought it'd be cool if they offered simular services for land imagery. Be very useful for us habitat junkies

Impressed with the number of funnels and inside corners of your property

I see some killer stand sites

bill

Something like that would look pretty good in a frame on the wall of the cabin.

I didn't know you could get various season pictures, is that like a subscription type app?

There's a company I use often called eagle view, measures buildings dimensions down to the inch and all pitches of roofs ext. Down right amazing and a bit scary actually. Even window sizes. Always thought it'd be cool if they offered simular services for land imagery. Be very useful for us habitat junkies
No, it is free!

how do you overlay the elevation?

Download this - http://www.earthpoint.us/TopoMap.aspx and follow the directions, was very easy.

Then you can do a overlay. Example attached. Not super high def, but useful especially when blown up. Again, you can change the opacity to have the statelite view more pronounced if you wanted. Fun to see them side by side. I really noticed a lot more detail when printed off in poster size in terms of trails, and unique features on my neighbors land that I couldn't see just zooming in on my computer.

Attachments

• topooverlay.jpg
    topooverlay.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 36
For some reason I can't get it to download on the IPad,

Anyone know of an easy source to look at a topo map?

For some reason I can't get it to download on the IPad,

Anyone know of an easy source to look at a topo map?

Try the huntstand app. It’s fee and has a topo layer