All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Habitat Happening: Live Blog!

Nice looking plot! Great to see your work pay off.

What are those sticks that are sticking up in the air along the north edge of the plot?? Did you plant pumpkins or something and mulch around them to keep the weeds down?? Have any pictures??

Man, you got eyes. There are pumpkins out there. There is also a bucket of AMS sitting by that harrow leaning up against the tree for those pumpkins. You think my brother could remember to sprinkle some on those pumpkins while he was up there pulling cards? Not so much. Anyway, we got pumpkins coming up.

PICT0014.JPG

PICT0018.JPG

PICT0019.JPG

PICT0020.JPG

Made the run down to the fertilizer plant and picked up my stuff. Got a bucket of AMS, DAP, and potash. Also got a jug of Wheelhouse. It's CHS branded AMS/NIS for glyphosate applications.

image.jpg

Big things happening on the hunting land this week. Pics are below. Here's the short list.

*Road approach is in now.
*We got "most" of our nutrients (P, K, and lime) down for the falls plots so sayeth thine soil sample. Still waiting on UPS to bring me 40lbs of epsom salt tomorrow.
*Sprayed all the fall plots, the soybean plot, and the trails we're reseeding with rye/ladino clover.
*Dropped a handful of milorganite into each tree tube today.
*Made the maiden voyage across the new approach with the truck today. That was nice to not have to hump hundreds of lbs of nutrients in by hand.
*Pulled trail cams. Got a few interesting pics to share.
*Gotta still move trail cams tomorrow and finish the two permanent stands we started last trip up.
*Got some tree pics to share, some great, some crappy.

So let's see some pictures.

The new road approach. Now we can get trucks onto the property.
IMG_2742aa.jpg

The black spruce we planted this spring are exploding with new growth. Good thing we hinged ahead of time and got some sunlight to the ground.
IMG_2743.JPG

More black spruce.
IMG_2744.JPG

We had some rye on the edge of the plot that dodged the spring burn down. We'll let this go and see what becomes of it.
IMG_2745.JPG

And this is the soybean plot that "almost is." It looks like a nuclear winter hit this plot. The deer are spending hours in here per day nibbling it down to the dirt. Frequent rains are keeping it alive, but there is zero chance of pods this year. Nonetheless, we're making the best of it. We cut this plot in half and spread milorganite on the area left of the red seed spreader and we installed an exclusion cage. We're testing to see if the repelling power of milorganite can buy these beans a few days to get ahead before it gets rained out and they resume eating.
IMG_2750.JPG

This is an up close shot of the soybean plot. We checked the trail cams, and they seem to keep pushing out leaves after each rain despite getting intense browsing. The soil in between looks like a cow yard.
IMG_2752.JPG

The pumpkin experiment carries on. We put down a handful of milorganite on each of these plants as well. When I was putting P and K down in the soybean plot, I made sure to overlap into the pumpkin edge to help them as well. May not get into the soil this year, but it's out there now.
IMG_2753.JPG

The white and norway spruce from last year are not looking good. These were planted last year and got burned badly over the winter due to lack of snow. They're alive, but they're not doing a damn thing compared to this year's planting of black spruce.
IMG_2754.JPG

We're getting emergence from the 6' tubes. This is cranberry planted in '13, pruned in spring of '15.
IMG_2755.JPG

Very excited to see this. Below is a red osier dogwood planted last year, also browsed last year. All my RO dogwood were large single stem plugs. In the red circle below is the tip of the browsed stem from last year. All around it is the flush of new leaves and branches. The more bush the better!
IMG_2756.JPG

Looking good!

This is a plum in a 6' tube. Planted in '13, pruned in '15. I pruned all my tubed trees down to single stems this spring. Still not certain this will work out, but it seems to be pushing them upward.
IMG_2757.JPG

American mountainash planted in '14, busting out the top of a 6' tube in '15.
IMG_2758.JPG
When all the work was done for the day, we grabbed the kid and headed to Leech Lake to chase some walleye. This was on the way there.
IMG_2798.JPG

SD - Even though your White & Norway spruce got burned in winter, don't give up on them. We get deer nipping the tops, winter burn, etc. - and they just keep coming on. I've had some rubbed so badly by bucks ( that were 3 to 4 ft. tall ) that I thought they'd never survive. But they did and are doing fine - although misshapen from broken limbs. Even our newly planted ones 12" tall and had the tops browsed grew new buds. Not 100% survival, but I'll say 90% make it. Hope yours pull thru.

good job. I need to get back up to 172.

Where is the fishing report?

Chris-if you plant more spruce plugs, try and plant them on the north side of some hazelbrush or north edge of a brushpile to provide some shade from the winter sun. Survival tends to be better. Then come back in a few years and cut out the brush that was the shade.

Any particular reason you chose beans for a small plot like that?

good job. I need to get back up to 172.

Where is the fishing report?
It was pretty slow. We had two boats out there and got two keepers and some snakes.

Any particular reason you chose beans for a small plot like that?
Interesting story there. I wanted to do a mixed plot of beans/wgf sorghum. Ole Marvin didn't wanna fart around with that. He insisted we do pure beans. Knowing we could overseed into it if/when the deer mowed them off, I didn't put up a fuss. We hit it with roundup yesterday to clean up the weeds and we're going to seed rye/brassica blend into it in about 2-3 weeks.

Sometimes letting people discover things on their own is the only way.

Could still turn out to be a killer plot. With the low deer numbers I doubt you will be over browsed.

I went out hinging this morning with my new Silky Zubat. Holy smokes can that thing rip through trees! I did a about a quarter of an acre in 90 minutes. Not sure if that is good or not, but I was impressed with how much I got down.

Here's the pics and projects for today.

I was out hinging and I came across this tiny red oak that had a couple of somethings on it. I'm not sure these are acorns. The larger one is almost the size of a ping pong ball. Could that be an acorn?
IMG_2804.JPG

Here's a pic of where I hinged today.
IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

Got our 4th permanent stand done.
IMG_2809.JPG

Back side view.
IMG_2811.JPG

Extra pic of our 4th stand. This one will actually seat two people.
IMG_2812.JPG

Got the 5th permanent stand done.
IMG_2813.JPG
Entrance view of the 5th stand. Maybe two more after this, and I think we'll have enough options no matter the wind.
IMG_2814.JPG

100% with Whip. ^^^^^ Wasp gall. I get them on my pin oak in the front yard. No big deal.