Habitat Happening: Live Blog!

I'm taking the soil samples in this morning. Hope to have results tonight or tomorrow night. I'll post them here to mull over once I get them.

man those are some sweet trail cam photo's there partner

Where are you getting all these great photos? Do you have any others ?

These have already been posted. Also putting them here to keep them in the timeline.

Here they are...

Some thoughts:

*I wonder if they skipped the buffer because the pH levels were good where they were?
*Is it possible to have zero hydrogen in the soil?

The plot we started last year.
index.php

The expansion of the plot above
index.php

The new plot to the north
index.php

What is all this crazy calcium/zinc/nitrate stuff? I thought this was a hunting habitat form? Geez

All part of the puzzle. Where u from Flatlander?

Picture time... Got up north a few hours ago, got suited up and grabbed the laptop to go pull cards.

Little bone starting to show. This is a new cam site. I have to have a talk with my cam installer on how to properly set the date and time on the cameras. You absolutely cannot find good help these days.
MFDC0038.JPG

More bone. Too early to tell if we're seeing the same I suppose.
MFDC0043.JPG

"What the hell is this?" Reminds me of that spanish ibex youtube video.
MFDC0048.JPG

Some wide bases starting to form here.
MFDC0055.JPG

Last edited:
Note the time stamps. Two hours after we were out there spreading lime and screwing around, the deer were right back in there eating.
MFDC0047.JPG

MFDC0050.JPG

Something is growing on this does face. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I feel bad for this critter. There is a close up below this one. Any ideas what this is?
MFDC0108.JPG

Almost looks like she's covered in ticks?
Ticks.PNG

Kicked this one out of the plot. The next pic is me showing up two minutes later...
MFDC0161.JPG

MFDC0162.JPG

If you look closely, it looks like the cam caught a grouse flying through in the middle of the frame.
MFDC2743.JPG

I put a trail camera aimed down my new swamp road to see how long it takes critters to start using it. With the aspen I cut at the trail head, I'm pretty sure they're going to find it sooner than later.

Very cool pics. Thanks for sharing them!

SD - Don't you wish you could freeze-frame a grouse like that while looking down a smooth-bore ?? Great pic !! My pattern of 7 1/2's would be right around the diagonally leaning trees to the right in the pic !!:oops: :(

I do. I still haven't sunk my teeth into one yet. Some day. If the deer situation had gotten any worse up here, I was planning to grouse hunt with a .22 out of my deer stand this year. Given the winter and the audit, I'm tabling the protest for now.

If you've been following along, you've seen far too many pictures of the same old food plot. Well it got a makeover this week. We rented a skid loader again and got to work. We were able to get rid every stump in the way of progress. All in I would guess we blasted 40-50 stumps out. We also got our new plot areas scraped clean. We ran the bucket over them to sheer any brush we could and expose stumps and rocks. We then went over by hand and removed as much brush as we could.

So lets see some pictures:

This is one of the black spruces we planted this spring. It's already putting out all kinds of little spurs. I'm not sure how much these will produce in the first year, but it's interesting to see them on the move.
IMG_2648.JPG

Another one of my winter burnt spruces from last year. I'm finding less and less that actually died. This is a welcome sign. I wonder if these that burned off their lower needles will grow taller faster due to reduced greenery where they were burnt.
IMG_2649.JPG

We finally connected all the trails on our property. This one along the east line was probably the most important given we almost always have some sort of west wind that prohibited us from getting into most of our property to hunt. Now we can march right down the east line in silence.
IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2653.JPG

Here's the start of the stump pulling...
IMG_2656.JPG

Looking good

This was the biggest prize. I suspect it was a red oak. It was actually two stumps that were tangled together. We had to go down 2 feet all the way around the get it to budge. In the end we got it out.
IMG_2659.JPG

This was a wild card plot area we pushed clean. It's going to take some work yet. Odds are I won't do a soil sample given that the samples are coming in all the same from around the property. This will need a few bags of lime and some chainsaw work. This will end up being some kind of spray and pray fall plot. I'd like to maybe leave this one in clover after this fall. Maybe rye/brassica/clover?
IMG_2661.JPG

Another new plot. Scraped and cleaned up. Will also start as a spray and pray this year.
IMG_2665.JPG

Same plot different angle.
IMG_2666.JPG

And the big reveal. From stumps, weeds, grass, brush, ruts etc, to smoothed out soybean plot in 10 months.
IMG_2670.JPG

That east line access is going to be huge. We used the east property line on our old place at least 85% of the time. It was imperative for us, given the fact our property was so narrow and the prevailing westerly winds.

We're in the same boat. The center of our property is where the majority of our travel, bedding, and plot activity occur. It's nice to have options regardless of wind now.

Update time, and what an update! Check this out. Here's where we started. Dates and times are correct...
MFDC0003.JPG

Walking out after we got the stumps out and soybeans seeded.
MFDC0006.JPG

MFDC0037.JPG

MFDC0099.JPG

MFDC0203.JPG

MFDC0260.JPG

MFDC0328.JPG

You can just see the beans emerging now...
MFDC0360.JPG

MFDC0363.JPG

MFDC0380.JPG