Habitat tree / shrub orders for spring 2017 ??

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
What do you guys have ordered for your properties for next spring ?? Trees, shrubs, berries, nuts ??
So far I have 50 Norway spruce and 50 balsam fir ordered for camp. I'll order probably 6 serviceberry, and a dozen witch hazel after the first of the year when those become available. 25 R.O.D., and some silky dogwoods are also on the list.

So far I have ordered:

100 Blue Spruce (2'-3')
150 Norway Spruce (2'-3')
25 Red Pine
10 White Birch
10 High Bush Cranberry
10 Red Maple

On order from Missouri MDC
25 persimmon
25 paw paw
10 shellbark hickory
10 bald cypress

I will see what is available from the NH state nursery and the PA game commission. Maybe a few more hazelnut and plum and order as many spruce as I think I can plant.

Two apple trees from SLN. I can't remember which ones right now.

About 5 scion from Grin.
No rootstock on order. I think I will just top work.

Stu - What is Hawkeye, an apple or a crab?? Never heard of it.

I'm getting 8-10 trees from a friend of mine that he grafted on B118. Can't even remember all of the ones I told him to save for me, but all are well known DR varieties (Enterprise, Priscilla, Freedom, William's Pride, etc....). At some point I'm going to get a Sundance - probably from Cummins. WG has a new pear called "Becton" that is supposed to be a good eater and still holding lots of fruit at Thanksgiving. I've got to have 3 of those....

Thanks for the info Stu. ^^^

Stu looks like your going to be busy come spring.

Myself from Woodstock I have coming 2 Lodi, 2 Mcintosh, & 2 Golden Delicious.

One of my goals this year is to begin to establish a better understory in a grove of Tamarack using shade tolerant shrubs and selective thinning. I'd also like a better edge on the side facing a field containing two tower blinds to reduce direct line of sight onto the property...the neighbors have been good so far, but when you see a tower 30 yards from the property line, it's disconcerting. The alder will help serve that purpose, eventually. Nearly everything will be protected with either 36" mesh, 3' tubes or 5' tubes, with the fruit trees getting the full work-up of mats, cages, and stone. The Gingko and Quaking Aspen are because my wife wants them and it's the least I can do, since it's her property, too.

MDC
Wild Plum 50
Blackberry 25
Spicebush 50
Aromatic Sumac 50
Silky Dogwood 50
Black Chokeberry 50
Elderberry 25

Kelly Tree Farm
3RP2 Swamp White Bur Oak hybrids 25
3RP2 Nannyberry 25

Cold Stream Farms
Gingko (4-5’) 2
Speckled Alder (6-12”) 200
Quaking Aspen (2-3’) 25

Cummins
Dolgo Crab (Apple) B.118 grade 3
Franklin (Apple) B.118 grade 6
Virginia Crab (Hewe's) (Apple) B.118 11/16 grade 3
Hosui (Pear) OHxF 97 11/16 grade 1
Moonglow (-7) (Pear) OHxF 87 grade 2
Shinko (Pear) OHxF 97 11/16 grade 1

Meadowview
White Spruce 2-2 transplant 25
Red Osier Dogwood 25
Sawtooth Oak 25
Allegheny Chinkapin 25
Silver Maple 25
Hybrid Poplar 25

Twisted Trees
Hazelnut Hybrids, 2 year 10
Morus Alba Mulberry, 2 year 10

Big Rock Trees (still not ordered)
Poplar, Elderberry, Ground Cover, Staples

Saratoga (January 3rd order)
Speckled alder, Chinquapin, Toringo Crabapple, Spruce, Pine, Sandbar willow

Stu - With all the planting you do, how many acres are you managing ??

Nothing ordered as of now. My plans are to take care of my 1k norway spruce babies planted this march, and buy a few more Kieffers, ayers, and Moonglows from rural king. Possibly order maybe 100 plums from MDC and it'd be nice to get a few dolgo crabs inside cages.

2 Redfield crabs from Cummins.
I am continuing my rootstock experiment, I will plant another 25 M.111 to go with the B.118's I planted last year.
I have a source for Dolgo seedlings so I may turn a plot into a crab thicket. I can't make up my mind but I am leaning that way now.

I ordered from Paint Creek Nursery (Bareroot):
25 American Plum (2-0)
15 White Pine (2-2)
15 Norway Spruce (2-2)
10 White Birch (2-0)
10 Ninebark (2-0)
10 Red Oak (2-0)
5 Swamp White Oak (1-0/2-0)
5 Red Maple (3-0)
5 White Oak (3-0)
5 Bur Oak (2-0)
5 Nanny Berry (1-0)
5 Silky Dogwood (2-0)
5 Grey Dogwood (2-0)
5 Red Osier Dogwood (1-1)
5 Antanovka Apple (1-3)
5 Renetka Crab (2-0)

Oaks get 5' Photosynth Tubes from Tree Protection Supply
Birch & Maples get 4' Photosynth Tubes
Apples and Crabapples get 5x12' concrete wire cages
Brushy trees and Plums get 5x6' concrete wire cages

I will start from seed and grow in the backyard nursery (Tree Pots /1 Gal. containers) for the summer:
50 Norway Spruce
25 Red Spruce
25 Jack Pine
25 Silver Maple
25 Austrian Pine
25 Douglas Fir
25 Frasier Fir
25 Unknown Crabapples (from my Front Yard)

The garage and basement are already filling up with tubes, stakes, trays, containers, fence, posts, Soil Moist, Pro-Mix BX bales, etc. Got my new 4x8' seedling table built and in place plus an additional 4x6' raised bed done.

It's going to be another big year at Trophy Doe Bottoms!

Last edited:
For my privacy border along rd;
50- 4' white pine
50- 4' hemlock
50- 4' Norway spruce

For my brush strips;
100 pinoak, 100 native crab apple, 100 dogwood, 50 cranberry, 25 hazelnut, 25 persimmons and some various shrubs.

I ordrered

100 Norway spruce
10- American plum
10-common chokeberry
10-elderberry
10-hazelnut
10-gray dogwood
10-paw paw
10- persimmon
10-shagback hickory
10- black cherry
10- Washington hawthorn
and 5 hackbery

3,000 white spruce - WDNR
1,000 norway spruce - Wheeler's

pre-ordered 450 miscanthus giganteus rhizomes from maple river farms.
plan to order 300 norway spruce and some random deciduous seedling from the county. their order form usually comes out in february.

I've got 200 miscanthus giganteus rhyzomes on order, and will be direct seeding 35 chinese chestnut from wpbdeer. the other 17 will go into rootmaker 18s to replace any direct seedings that don't make it.

And will surely pick up a handful of apples and pears from a big box store as well.

I'll be interested myself to see whether fleshing out the Tamarack understory works, as well. We have ~15 acres where Tamarack were cultivated as a plantation starting in the 1970s. They're mature now, but haven't been maintained over that time so there's been death, overcrowding, other species growing up in between, etc...

I love Tamarack, but the lack of growth underneath them is a real shame. I think that with thinning I can make it more attractive to wildlife. If nothing else, I can begin to transition toward earlier growth structure. It's sure to be a long haul, but at least there's not so many invasive species in that area...unlike other thicker areas on the property.

Does anyone else look at their list and realize that they've been hopelessly overambitious? I think I need to quit my day job...

Does anyone else look at their list and realize that they've been hopelessly overambitious? I think I need to quit my day job...
Not yet but I certainly have in previous years. There is the desire to do it all now so you see results in 5 or 10 years but I need to prioritize and push stuff out to do in future years.

Last edited: