Notes on Diversity

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Before our camp decided to make efforts to improve habitat, we had only mature hardwoods and neglected fields of some sort of grayish, wiry grass that deer didn't have much interest in. We didn't have many deer, and those we had were small and had handful racks. We had native hemlocks and white pines, but most were too big to provide cover at ground level. No browse to speak of. And mountain laurel - starvation food for deer with no nutrition to speak of in it. --------That was it.

Several loggings done at 7 to 10 year intervals made some timber $$$ to pay for habitat work. Sunlight on the ground got many new things sprouting, with lots of native forbs where only pine needles and leaf duff had been. Planting Norway and white spruce (a number of them in most years) created thermal / security / bedding cover and kept deer on our property. We planted un-named, small-fruited crabs and Washington hawthorns from our Pa. Game Commission seedling sales. Serviceberry and high bush cranberry came next, along with a native viburnum species that made loads of blossoms for pollinators. Apple, crab apple, and pear trees have been continually planted each year - and we're up to about 95 newer fruit trees this spring. Gly sprays to burn down weeds and crappy grass - followed by regular lime applications improved the soil pH to start food plots of various crops. ROD, Fraser fir, and balsam fir have been planted. Blueberries have sprouted in logged areas. Logged stumps have been caged to protect stump sprouts, which grow readily from established root systems. We even plant native perennial wildflowers to make the pollinators happy. Bluebird houses have been built and placed. We put in a pond, which attracts ducks, geese, and different birds that favor waterways / wetlands. Bald eagles even fly in and watch the pond!

The difference in wildlife we see is crazy good! More and bigger deer - bodies and racks. LOADS of turkeys. Plenty of grouse ...... and even doves which we never had before. We now have a few rabbits in our food plots that seem to set up homes under our pallets of firewood or under stumps. (We didn't have rabbits on our mountain prior to food plots. Natural migration or transplants?) Bird varieties have tripled or better, which helps keep the bad bug numbers down. We have lots of bears too - nice to watch - bad for deer business / fruit tree damage.

The most notable improvements are with deer and turkeys. Lots more of both year-round. The increase in wildlife numbers and variety brought about by habitat diversity is pretty remarkable. Many of our habitat improvements are a result of info learned on this forum from members - especially about crab apples and food plot info. Seeing what diversity has done on members' properties has been an inspiration to me to increase diversity at our camp. Thanks to all here. Diversity works.

B&B, how much land are you working with?

I'm working on this too. So far I have planted plums, apples, pears, chinkapin, persimmons. I have white and chestnut oaks already. Since I've timbered I have a lot of green briar, pokeweed, black birch.

I have crab apples coming this year. Along with Norways that I want to start creating some cover with. I planted some norways and sawtooth oak in the past but I never caged them so I don't think they've amounted to much. I did find a sawtooth this year that looks about the same size as when I planted it 4 years ago. It was still alive though.

In the future I'd like to add some ROD, strawberry bush, some more shrubs yet to be determined. I also have a patch of tulip poplars that I'd like to try to transplant some of the smaller of them too.

I have owned my land since 2002, it was all woods with no access from the road. Since then I have added a driveway to a campsite we cleared, which is no longer used, and I turned it into a foodplot, which so far has only had clover, and winter rye in it every year. I had created another road to where I now have built a house. When the trees where all cleared, I plated a few apple trees in the yard, andI planted half grass, and half white dutch clover, mixed together for the yard, yes deer eat from the yard a lot. I have made 2 other half acre food plots, and turned one into an apple orchard, but I still plant clover, and turnips, and rye in it. The last plot is pretty much whatever I dream up that year. I have 30 apple trees on the property now. I had started planting pockets of white pines, 1000 of them to be exact.I didnt protect them, and there isnt even one that made it a year. My goal the next 3 years is screening from my yard, and road, and fill those pockets in with spruces that failed with pines. I am also going to focus on bushes for browse, that they will eat in the summer, and winter. I have on order for this spring, ninebark, ROD, and chokecherry. I have serviceberry already growing randomly, and I am going to try to propagate them to other areas.

I am going to install an outdoor wood boiler this summer, so I can start opening up the canopy, and actually put the wood to use, rather then just dropping them, and letting the whole tree lie. This should give the sun new areas to reach the ground to get new things growing, and maybe open up new spots for more trees.

Diversity is something I am after now as well. I really dont know what I am doing, but with a bunch of research, and opinions from everyone on here, I am sure I can still screw it up, but hopefully the deer will like it.

Before our camp decided to make efforts to improve habitat, we had only mature hardwoods and neglected fields of some sort of grayish, wiry grass that deer didn't have much interest in. We didn't have many deer, and those we had were small and had handful racks. We had native hemlocks and white pines, but most were too big to provide cover at ground level. No browse to speak of. And mountain laurel - starvation food for deer with no nutrition to speak of in it. --------That was it.

Several loggings done at 7 to 10 year intervals made some timber $$$ to pay for habitat work. Sunlight on the ground got many new things sprouting, with lots of native forbs where only pine needles and leaf duff had been. Planting Norway and white spruce (a number of them in most years) created thermal / security / bedding cover and kept deer on our property. We planted un-named, small-fruited crabs and Washington hawthorns from our Pa. Game Commission seedling sales. Serviceberry and high bush cranberry came next, along with a native viburnum species that made loads of blossoms for pollinators. Apple, crab apple, and pear trees have been continually planted each year - and we're up to about 95 newer fruit trees this spring. Gly sprays to burn down weeds and crappy grass - followed by regular lime applications improved the soil pH to start food plots of various crops. ROD, Fraser fir, and balsam fir have been planted. Blueberries have sprouted in logged areas. Logged stumps have been caged to protect stump sprouts, which grow readily from established root systems. We even plant native perennial wildflowers to make the pollinators happy. Bluebird houses have been built and placed. We put in a pond, which attracts ducks, geese, and different birds that favor waterways / wetlands. Bald eagles even fly in and watch the pond!

The difference in wildlife we see is crazy good! More and bigger deer - bodies and racks. LOADS of turkeys. Plenty of grouse ...... and even doves which we never had before. We now have a few rabbits in our food plots that seem to set up homes under our pallets of firewood or under stumps. (We didn't have rabbits on our mountain prior to food plots. Natural migration or transplants?) Bird varieties have tripled or better, which helps keep the bad bug numbers down. We have lots of bears too - nice to watch - bad for deer business / fruit tree damage.

The most notable improvements are with deer and turkeys. Lots more of both year-round. The increase in wildlife numbers and variety brought about by habitat diversity is pretty remarkable. Many of our habitat improvements are a result of info learned on this forum from members - especially about crab apples and food plot info. Seeing what diversity has done on members' properties has been an inspiration to me to increase diversity at our camp. Thanks to all here. Diversity works.
Hey Bows, just wondering which of the shrubs did you cage/protect, or did you protect them all?

We have put a lot of resources into food plots, the return is modest at best. Timber management has been, by far, our best habitat improvement. It is cashflow positive. We do forgo some income from timber because we are trying to benefit wildlife with our timbering. I think the big difference from a food perspective is the scale. Food plots, on a relative basis, produce small areas of high quality food. Smart timber management produces much larger areas of a wide variety of foods with a wide range of quality and it does so in cover. I find it has been great for deer, but it has also made them harder to hunt and much more sensitive to hunting pressure. When the large scale was pretty much empty of food and quality food was concentrated in plots, deer pretty much were forced to show themselves and take risks to get sufficient food. Now, deer can get quality food most of the year just about anywhere. They still need and use the plots, but simply use them a night. During shooting hours, they spend much more time eating native foods in cover once they feel pressure.

I have no idea why we don't have grouse in my part of the state. We have very grousey looking habitat. Places look very similar to some Pennsylvania habitat where grouse are abundant.

Thanks,

Jack

"I have no idea why we don't have grouse in my part of the state. We have very grousey looking habitat. Places look very similar to some Pennsylvania habitat where grouse are abundant."

I haven't seen a grouse in my portion of PA in over a decade.

Great job Brownsbucks. Looks like all your hard work paid off. It's so rewarding when a plan works out. I have tried to accomplish this on my land also, but on a smaller scale. It has worked for me also in the amount of game. I'm a big fan of diversity on a property also. I had over mature woods that was in need of a cutting bad. I have since done clear cuts, select cuts, planted spruce/ pines, apple, pears, dogwoods, elderberrys, food plots, and a small pond. The amount of animals we have now is also unbelievable. They all have increased. We now have deer,beer, grouse,turkeys, ducks, squirrels, rabbits, Fisher, bobcat,coyote, grey fox,owls, eagles and thankfully only one wolf one time. I have no doubt that it is because we went from a mature hardwood monoculture to many different kinds of habitats is the reason. Keep up the good work.

"I have no idea why we don't have grouse in my part of the state. We have very grousey looking habitat. Places look very similar to some Pennsylvania habitat where grouse are abundant."

I haven't seen a grouse in my portion of PA in over a decade.
It ebbs and flows in my area of PA. 2 years ago I would see grouse most times I was out and about but then this year I only saw a handful in the same areas. When I was seeing them all the time I ran into a grouse hunter who did not hunt deer and we traded info on what we were seeing and where.

I read an article about extremely successful trophy whitetail hunters

The thing in common with most of them was hunting post rut and leaving the area undisturbed

They seemed adamant to only hunt when conditions were perfect

Last edited:
I got a funny story about my bonus doe tag this year

I kept getting busted in my. Tree stands so I said screw it and started prepping tree planting holes put my bow in the tractor bucket

Them deer didn’t even bat. An eye at me walked past me and bedded down

WHUP

During shooting hours, they spend much more time eating native foods in cover once they feel pressure.
Agree with that 100%.

Hey Bows, just wondering which of the shrubs did you cage/protect, or did you protect them all?
We didn't protect them all. The things deer would naturally eat to the dirt, we caged. Serviceberry, high bush cranberry, hawthorn, ROD are / were caged when they're too young to survive deer browsing. Once they get big enough to withstand deer browsing - or grow above it - the cages come off. I also caged SOME spruce trees where we wanted them to DEFINITELY survive in strategic locations. Other spruce we just planted and walked away to fend for themselves. Most of the un-caged spruce survived, although some got the tops nipped in bad winters. Once the cages come off the spruce, bucks will tend to rub on them - but once they're big enough, even rubbing doesn't kill them. A few broken limbs look ugly for a few years until the spruce heal and outgrow the damage.

It's a judgement call as to when you decide your plants are big enough to lose their cages. It also depends on the species of shrub / tree. Hope that helps.