All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun Forun

kl9

5 year old buck +
Anyone know a really informative long range shooting forum? I need some help picking out a caliber and don't know which site has the best/most up-to-date reading.

Anyone know a really informative long range shooting forum? I need some help picking out a caliber and don't know which site has the best/most up-to-date reading.
what kind of long range shooting you into? Tactical or hunting?

Check out SWFA site an forum called opticstalk. Guys on the hide can be a lil tough on new guys.
Used to live an breath long range shooting. Had a quarry by my house where we could reach out to 1k yards. Can't shoot in there any more:(
I highly recommend 260,25/06 or 300 win mag for versatile long ranger. Vortex for best bang for buck optics.
What's your intended use an budget? I love spending other guys $$$:)

Last edited:
I've frequented a few different sites. The one I like best is The High Road . org. (THR.org) Shooting? or Hunting rifle? Big game or small? Ultra long-ranges? or typical long ranges? Lotsa choices.

Lots of other more specialized sites, but that one is a good all-purpose, no nonsense site with long time members.

Go to longrangehunting.com. lots of great info there.

Guys on snipershide told me to go with a 6.5 creedmoor. I want to hit targets/yotes out past 500 yards.

Ballistically, a 6.5 anything is a very good choice.

When getting into long range shooting one of the first things you need to decide is whether you are willing to do some ballistics computing and turning the knobs on scopes. If not, then you likely need to have a reticle that will allow for your hold-off.

Things are changing in this area pretty rapidly and it becomes the most important part of long range shooting after you have a good gun and good ammo nailed down. I made some scope target knobs and did some knob spinning back in time. (Lots of advancements since those times.) Also had some TDS reticles on scopes for long range hunting. I preferred the TDS reticle choices over spinning target knobs for big game hunting. For varmints or targets, I think you pretty much need to turn scope knobs for ultimate accuracy - but I am out of date. At 500 yards and more, you gotta do lots of wind doping, ballistic path computing, and have a good range finder. A few yards can change things pretty fast.

500 yards is a good "entry level" range when talking long-range. i knew guys that would not take shots at small targets unless they were 800 yards and more. Spent a few days hunting Prairie Dogs with a crew like that. They would spend all day to make a dozen or so shots. No fun in that for me. All depends on what your trying to do I suppose.