Drone Market Checkup

Oh I agree at drawing the line. But I think that is an individuals choice. It just bothers me when people act like it’s this drawn in bedrock line for everyone. If that’s the case, again that line was passed long long ago.

I have my lines too. Just don’t think it’s the same for everyone, and I won’t judge anyone else for theirs.

Killing a deer with a rifle at 300 yards with a machine cut scope or using a compound bow 20 feet up in tree in aluminum machine made stand is WAY more of an advantage than scouting with a drone. But that’s just me

What would stop folks from scouting a neighbors property and pushing a target buck towards their property?

I agree a line should be drawn and fair chase should be part of the equation.

I value the pursuit. But I don’t even really like killing deer. I like everything that leads up to it.

Someone else may be different. Doesn’t mean my standards should necessarily be theirs. If enough people feel strongly enough about something, it should be added to state regulations. If not, then I will not bash someone who does one advantageous thing over another advantageous thing.
i respect your opinion on that. My opinion is legality does not equal morality. I don’t base my ethics or morals on a law written by people I don’t know with intentions I can’t vouch for. And I have zero problem saying something is douchy someone does even it’s legal by the letter of the law. At the end of the day hunters largely have to police ourselves for a number of reasons.

They are letting us go home early from work for "winter weather." We are also not required to come in tomorrow. I think today I will go to the grocery store on the way home and grab a fat ribeye. I'm going to get a cast iron screaming hot and hard sear both sides. Then turn the heat to low and throw in a couple pats of butter and butter baste that sucker for just a couple minutes. Let it rest for about 10 minutes and slice and sprinkle with a little Maldon finishing salt. Enjoy with a glass of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof bourbon.

Drones are good for scouting. Not for hunting. 😂

They are letting us go home early from work for "winter weather." We are also not required to come in tomorrow. I think today I will go to the grocery store on the way home and grab a fat ribeye. I'm going to get a cast iron screaming hot and hard sear both sides. Then turn the heat to low and throw in a couple pats of butter and butter baste that sucker for just a couple minutes. Let it rest for about 10 minutes and slice and sprinkle with a little Maldon finishing salt. Enjoy with a glass of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof bourbon.

Drones are good for scouting. Not for hunting. 😂
That’s heaven! We could be buds.

Only thing I do different is I sous vide ribeye at 133 for 2 hours. Gets cooked medium rare all the way through. Then I put butter in cast iron skillet and sear it on every side for a minute. I then put on warming rack and bring butter down to simmer. I use a propane torch on all sides of steak, then pour hot butter on it and serve!

IMG_3563.jpegIMG_2383_Original.jpeg

Got the kid DJI Mini-3 for Christmas. Around $600 with some extra blades and a two year warranty. Nice quality and easy to fly. Can’t hear it after 100 meters.

Will be nice to check on remote food plots on our place. Maybe find some deer out of season. Look at neighbors property to check on where deer come from

I wish it had more zoom. But it’s decent enough.

That’s heaven! We could be buds.

Only thing I do different is I sous vide ribeye at 133 for 2 hours. Gets cooked medium rare all the way through. Then I put butter in cast iron skillet and sear it on every side for a minute. I then put on warming rack and bring butter down to simmer. I use a propane torch on all sides of steak, then pour hot butter on it and serve!

View attachment 61356View attachment 61357
Dude... I haven't used my sous vide in a while! Maybe I need to get it out! 🤤

Dude... I haven't used my sous vide in a while! Maybe I need to get it out! 🤤
I only use it for that. I have tried every way known to man to cook steak, and it’s a game changer for cooking the interior perfect.

Yeah. You run cameras? Wind apps? You use modern rifle? Compound bow?

Unless you jump out of tree and wrestle deer to ground you are using an unfair advantage. Where you decide to draw the line is up to you, but will be different for others. It’s not some mythical line that was drawn by God.

Once we propelled a bullet or arrow at unnatural speeds 98% of the ethical advantage has been harnessed. All the rest is a few percent here or there. All my opinion of course.

My grandad used to rail on the few people that used rifles. Thought climbing a tree above deers natural fear sense and using a rifle to kill at “a mile” was sinful. God intended us to use a shotgun slug at 50 yards.
This is quite the take, I'll give you that.

I do find it odd you chose to highlight my comment stating "I don't think they should be used for hunting, but they seem useful for deer recovery" and then proceeded to go on a rant. The comments directly proceeding mine talked about sending letters to their state reps about them being outlawed for everything, but that didn't bother you enough to rant about?

I only use it for that. I have tried every way known to man to cook steak, and it’s a game changer for cooking the interior perfect.
Just did my first sous vide this weekend. Absolutely wonderful!

I do find it odd you chose to highlight my comment stating "I don't think they should be used for hunting, but they seem useful for deer recovery" and then proceeded to go on a rant. The comments directly proceeding mine talked about sending letters to their state reps about them being outlawed for everything, but that didn't bother you enough to rant about?
I may send another letter this week just to let them know I hadn’t forgotten about them!

Stay on topic my friend. Let’s talk about the content not the way we say it.

Just giving you a hard time. I’m not for hunting with drones.

My way sounds intensive. But it is literally five minutes of work to cook a perfect steak. One minute to set up sous vide. Drink bourbon or prepare other stuff while it gets jacuzzi. Only takes about an hour but can’t do wrong.

2-3 minutes to sear on cast iron. One minute to blow torch and serve.

I’m gonna change your world again. Worst part is butter popping on sear hot cast iron skillet making a mess. Get one of these. Just place over top when cooking. No mess.

image.jpg

I may send another letter this week just to let them know I hadn’t forgotten about them!
And you should if you feel strongly about it.

I dont feel that strongly about the hunting or the recovery, but if I was pushed into a corner, I don't think it's fair chase to use a drone for hunting purposes.
I also don't feel strongly about the recovery thing, and admit it's a fine line between using it for a "revovery" and pushing a target buck off your neighbor's property. However, to me that same argument could be said for anything that's partially legal. Legal to drink, not legal to drive, doesn't mean we ban alcohol because people abuse it, etc.

I dont feel that strongly about the hunting or the recovery, but if I was pushed into a corner, I don't think it's fair chase to use a drone for hunting purposes.
I also don't feel strongly about the recovery thing, and admit it's a fine line between using it for a "revovery" and pushing a target buck off your neighbor's property. However, to me that same argument could be said for anything that's partially legal. Legal to drink, not legal to drive, doesn't mean we ban alcohol because people abuse it, etc.
You’re usually on point Brian. Just smile while you do it.

I don’t think that kind of tech has any place in hunting. But that’s me. I will eventually lose out as all things acquiesce to the money and easing of the challenge.
No but to my point about legality and morality, it’s legal to cheat on your wife but you’re a real d-bag if you do. Same could be said about some of this legal means of “hunting”.

Got the kid DJI Mini-3 for Christmas. Around $600 with some extra blades and a two year warranty. Nice quality and easy to fly. Can’t hear it after 100 meters.

Will be nice to check on remote food plots on our place. Maybe find some deer out of season. Look at neighbors property to check on where deer come from

I wish it had more zoom. But it’s decent enough.
What's the range? ay videos/pics?

I know a couple of the DR guys....might muster the cashews up to blatantly ask if they query or consider property lines. The dog folks here (NY; which was the first legal tracking dog state but like all things NY has way too many laws and BS) have to ask if you have written permission for all property they'll be on. Most don't ask to see it, but suspect almost all ask the question.

I am all about recovering deer.....the tech is here to stay regardless of if its legal in the hunting space or not and the chitty people will always cheat. I would hope that surveillance on property without permission is considered trespassing. If you don't like that idea just imagine how many drones Santa dropped off to good little boys that live near a nude beach.

Did you guys get your 107 license? Is it still a thing?
I have mine. An FAA Part 107 is only required for commercial use of a UAV. Commercial use is for realtors, law enforcement, inspectors, anything you are being paid to do. Hobbyists aren't required to have a 107. All drones, unless under .55 pounds still need registered, two different things.

Now the FAA is requiring remote ID, technology that identifies the aircraft, user, and location. Again, if your drone is under .55 pounds and only used for recreational purposes, you are exempt from remote ID requirements. Most of the drones except the minis are over .55.

Drones and tresspass are a sticky subject. Start searching and you will go down many rabbit holes.
I know a couple of the DR guys....might muster the cashews up to blatantly ask if they query or consider property lines. The dog folks here (NY; which was the first legal tracking dog state but like all things NY has way too many laws and BS) have to ask if you have written permission for all property they'll be on. Most don't ask to see it, but suspect almost all ask the question.

I am all about recovering deer.....the tech is here to stay regardless of if its legal in the hunting space or not and the chitty people will always cheat. I would hope that surveillance on property without permission is considered trespassing. If you don't like that idea just imagine how many drones Santa dropped off to good little boys that live near a nude beach.