Drone Market Checkup

Honestly you can hire someone to come in and do it and get all the pics you want for a couple of hundred bucks. Better than buying. Heck if you ask around prob some guys with one that would do for free

Did you guys get your 107 license? Is it still a thing?
I didn't. The mini is 249 grams I think to circumvent this rule. You can get a larger battery, but it would put it over the limit. As a good law-abiding citizen there is no way I would ever do that............... 👀

I would love to get a drone - but am afraid it would get used five times and put in a box in the back closet. How many with drones keep using them?

I would really like a drone that could spray herbicide and aerially seed - but those are big bucks. If only they could pull a bush hog.

Yeah, if you are looking for just a drone to take up and take pics and maybe a little video, you will only spend over $1k if you really really want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can find older DJI mini, non-pro models in the $300-$400 range.

I didn't. The mini is 249 grams I think to circumvent this rule. You can get a larger battery, but it would put it over the limit. As a good law-abiding citizen there is no way I would ever do that............... 👀
Kind of what I was hinting at. I figured a smart company would make one just under the fed's wt regulations but didn't know. Of course nobody would even think of an extended life battery being heavier. :)

I would love to get a drone - but am afraid it would get used five times and put in a box in the back closet. How many with drones keep using them?

I would really like a drone that could spray herbicide and aerially seed - but those are big bucks. If only they could pull a bush hog.
Always thought a cattleman would use the bejezzus out of one for counting herds, finding newborns, and looking for strays. Would be so much easier to get a count off of a paused video than driving by a feed line!

Why shouldn't it be allowed to locate deer for hunting purposes?
Yeah. You run cameras? Wind apps? You use modern rifle? Compound bow?

Unless you jump out of tree and wrestle deer to ground you are using an unfair advantage. Where you decide to draw the line is up to you, but will be different for others. It’s not some mythical line that was drawn by God.

Once we propelled a bullet or arrow at unnatural speeds 98% of the ethical advantage has been harnessed. All the rest is a few percent here or there. All my opinion of course.

My grandad used to rail on the few people that used rifles. Thought climbing a tree above deers natural fear sense and using a rifle to kill at “a mile” was sinful. God intended us to use a shotgun slug at 50 yards.

Seems that everyone I know with one has used about 5 times or less. Just pay one of those guys to do what you need cheap.

Yeah. You run cameras? Wind apps? You use modern rifle? Compound bow?

Unless you jump out of tree and wrestle deer to ground you are using an unfair advantage. Where you decide to draw the line is up to you, but will be different for others. It’s not some mythical line that was drawn by God.

Once we propelled a bullet or arrow at unnatural speeds 98% of the ethical advantage has been harnessed. All the rest is a few percent here or there. All my opinion of course.

My grandad used to rail on the few people that used rifles. Thought climbing a tree above deers natural fear sense and using a rifle to kill at “a mile” was sinful. God intended us to use a shotgun slug at 50 yards.
The line has to be drawn somewhere, doesn't it? Why not just arm the drone? After all, look at all the other modern equipment we already use., right?

The line has to be drawn somewhere, doesn't it? Why not just arm the drone? After all, look at all the other modern equipment we already use., right?
Oh I agree at drawing the line. But I think that is an individuals choice. It just bothers me when people act like it’s this drawn in bedrock line for everyone. If that’s the case, again that line was passed long long ago.

I have my lines too. Just don’t think it’s the same for everyone, and I won’t judge anyone else for theirs.

Killing a deer with a rifle at 300 yards with a machine cut scope or using a compound bow 20 feet up in tree in aluminum machine made stand is WAY more of an advantage than scouting with a drone. But that’s just me

Seems that everyone I know with one has used about 5 times or less. Just pay one of those guys to do what you need cheap.
That is my problem - I dont “need” anything. Just want one to mess with. Might could go check the duck holes without leaving the back porch

Always thought a cattleman would use the bejezzus out of one for counting herds, finding newborns, and looking for strays. Would be so much easier to get a count off of a paused video than driving by a feed line!

My dad couldn’t figure out where one of the cows was last summer during calving. She had also had twins before and one year we lost one before we figured out she only claimed one. We found her and checked a few times to be sure there wasn’t a twin. Perfect for that.
7f79a8a8f82beb06bb99e36444faaa41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I agree at drawing the line. But I think that is an individuals choice. It just bothers me when people act like it’s this drawn in bedrock line for everyone. If that’s the case, again that line was passed long long ago.

I have my lines too. Just don’t think it’s the same for everyone, and I won’t judge anyone else for theirs.

Killing a deer with a rifle at 300 yards with a machine cut scope or using a compound bow 20 feet up in tree in aluminum machine made stand is WAY more of an advantage than scouting with a drone. But that’s just me
I think we need to establish the endgame. We have the knowledge through technology to kill every single deer alive. Is that what we want? Or do we value the pursuit?

Are you saying it should be up to the individual whether or not to hunt with armed drones or are you agreeing that we need to draw a line for everyone at some point? I'm not trying to play gotcha, I honestly can't tell from your response where you are on this.

They were well on their way to wiping north American big game off the map in this country with 19th century technology. Thankfully a few powerful and conservation minded guys came in and stood up for wildlife. It's the tragedy of the commons, you can't just let everyone decide for themselves how far is too far. They'll kill them all.

Bought one back in 2015. Coolest thing in the world for about 3 months. Then I couldn't figure out what more to use it for as far as my farm goes. You can only take so many aerial pics n videos. Became very redundant in a hurry. Gave it to one of my kids less than a year after I bought it.

That is my problem - I dont “need” anything. Just want one to mess with. Might could go check the duck holes without leaving the back porch
Now that I agree with. I have more toys than I know what to do with.

Are you saying it should be up to the individual whether or not to hunt with armed drones or are you agreeing that we need to draw a line for everyone at some point? I'm not trying to play gotcha, I honestly can't tell from your response where you are on this.

They were well on their way to wiping north American big game off the map in this country with 19th century technology. Thankfully a few powerful and conservation minded guys came in and stood up for wildlife. It's the tragedy of the commons, you can't just let everyone decide for themselves how far is too far. They'll kill them all.
I think things the state or feds do for common good of wildlife is different than what an individual thinks is ethical for their own hunting.

If you look at state regs, they are all over the map. 3 bucks. Only buck tags. Unlimited does. No does. Short rifle season. Long season. Crossbows. No cross bows.

In our state deer are so overpopulated they could easily make drone hunting a thing. I don’t think they would for bucks but that’s because of the trophy aspect of things (and the money it generates).

Even in this convo my point stands. It’s different for different people and groups. You say it’s abhorrent, a wildlife biologist here may think it’s the saving grace for the overpopulated deer of Alabama.

I think we need to establish the endgame. We have the knowledge through technology to kill every single deer alive. Is that what we want? Or do we value the pursuit?
I value the pursuit. But I don’t even really like killing deer. I like everything that leads up to it.

Someone else may be different. Doesn’t mean my standards should necessarily be theirs. If enough people feel strongly enough about something, it should be added to state regulations. If not, then I will not bash someone who does one advantageous thing over another advantageous thing.