Green cover summer release and fall release pics.

Looks great Omicron.

Planned to drill into it but was just too thick. Had to mow

Can you elaborate? Is it that if planted into standing you knock down some stems crossways to the direction of drilling and end up needing the openers to cut more residue that would otherwise flow between rows and not need to be cut if mowed?

Can you elaborate? Is it that if planted into standing you knock down some stems crossways to the direction of drilling and end up needing the openers to cut more residue that would otherwise flow between rows and not need to be cut if mowed?
So I believe in planting into standing. I get best results with that.

This was different. Was so thick and tall it was almost lifting the tractor up as I drove over it. I don’t think coulters would have even been touching the ground!

My other fields with less sorghum Sudan and teosinte I will plant standing

Makes sense. I can't imagine planting into my standing sorghum screen either now that I think about it.

Looks like Grant needs to reduce the percenatage of Sorghum Sudangrass in his Summer Release.

Went out at 8 AM to check on my brassica plots @Wind Gypsy ... and I have germination!

I sprayed these plots with Interline at 1.4 quarts/acre on July 13th. 6 days later on July 19th I drilled my brassicas. At 8:00 AM this morning - 3 1/2 days later I've got germination:

View attachment 54952

View attachment 54953

It is supposed to be 81 degrees here today. I am sure by this evening I will have a lot more germination.

P.S. I feel a lot better about my chances of getting germination with my rye when I broadcast that in another month...

And...BTW - I probably could have done just as well with spraying at only 1 qt/acre which I will do in the future.

@Wild Thing - can you provide a status update on these areas that were sprayed with glufosinate? Still looking good?

Looks like Grant needs to reduce the percenatage of Sorghum Sudangrass in his Summer Release.
It was my own mix this year. I transitioned starting this summer.

@Wild Thing - can you provide a status update on these areas that were sprayed with glufosinate? Still looking good?

In a nutshell....it was disappointing WJ. Not that I believe that the Glufosinate didn't do its job, but in the sense that under the circumstances I used it in - it was at a distinct disadvantage.

If you recall, I used the Glufosinate where I had great plots of alfalfa/clover which had been growing for 3 years. I drilled cereal rye into it (75#/acre) the previous fall in order to increase the C/N ratio prior to planting brassicas this July. I rolled the rye with a cultipacker and sprayed with Glufosinate the following day. Unfortunately, it is apparent to me that the heavy rye thatch covered a lot of the alfalfa/clover which prevented the herbicide from coming in contact with it. I drilled the brassicas after spraying, but unfortunately, although it did set the alfalfa/clover back some, it came right back and really provided a great deal of competition for my brassicas.

Also, since I did not terminate the alfalfa/clovers, I never got the benefit of the fixed Nitrogen which should have been available to the brassicas had they been adequately terminated. I haven't used any synthetic fertilizers for 2 years now and in this case, it was also apparent that the brassicas didn't really capture enough nutrients from the soil in order to grow well. The brassicas have been pretty much stunted since they germinated. That, and the fact that the deer have been all over them since about week 3.

I guess there are worse things than alfalfa and clover that could be competing with your brassicas, but I have to write off this experiment as pretty much a failure for a brassica planting. I still have lots of good forage in those plots....but I just don't have any good sized brassica leaves or bulbs.

I don't have any recent photos of these plots right now but here are photos of a couple of the plots where I drilled brassicas into alfalfa/clover plots where I had applied Glufosinate and then planted brassicas. These photos were taken on August 7th - about 3 weeks after planting. As you can see, the alfalfa/clovers are still doing well and the brassicas are struggling. Will try to get some more recent photos soon.
IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

If I do this again in the future, I would spray much earlier and ensure that the alfalfa/clovers are actually dead before planting. If I would have sprayed these plots 2-3 weeks after rolling the rye, much more of the alfalfa/clovers would have been exposed to the herbicide as you can see from the above photo.

Win some....lose some....and some get rained out 😄

In a nutshell....it was disappointing WJ. Not that I believe that the Glufosinate didn't do its job, but in the sense that under the circumstances I used it in - it was at a distinct disadvantage.

If you recall, I used the Glufosinate where I had great plots of alfalfa/clover which had been growing for 3 years. I drilled cereal rye into it (75#/acre) the previous fall in order to increase the C/N ratio prior to planting brassicas this July. I rolled the rye with a cultipacker and sprayed with Glufosinate the following day. Unfortunately, it is apparent to me that the heavy rye thatch covered a lot of the alfalfa/clover which prevented the herbicide from coming in contact with it. I drilled the brassicas after spraying, but unfortunately, although it did set the alfalfa/clover back some, it came right back and really provided a great deal of competition for my brassicas.

Also, since I did not terminate the alfalfa/clovers, I never got the benefit of the fixed Nitrogen which should have been available to the brassicas had they been adequately terminated. I haven't used any synthetic fertilizers for 2 years now and in this case, it was also apparent that the brassicas didn't really capture enough nutrients from the soil in order to grow well. The brassicas have been pretty much stunted since they germinated. That, and the fact that the deer have been all over them since about week 3.

I guess there are worse things than alfalfa and clover that could be competing with your brassicas, but I have to write off this experiment as pretty much a failure for a brassica planting. I still have lots of good forage in those plots....but I just don't have any good sized brassica leaves or bulbs.

I don't have any recent photos of these plots right now but here are photos of a couple of the plots where I drilled brassicas into alfalfa/clover plots where I had applied Glufosinate and then planted brassicas. These photos were taken on August 7th - about 3 weeks after planting. As you can see, the alfalfa/clovers are still doing well and the brassicas are struggling. Will try to get some more recent photos soon.
View attachment 57489

View attachment 57490

If I do this again in the future, I would spray much earlier and ensure that the alfalfa/clovers are actually dead before planting. If I would have sprayed these plots 2-3 weeks after rolling the rye, much more of the alfalfa/clovers would have been exposed to the herbicide as you can see from the above photo.

Win some....lose some....and some get rained out 😄
Why didn’t you use 2-4d?

Thanks for the update @Wild Thing

Makes me think i should start a thread on prior year rye residue management strategy if there are other plants that need to be sprayed within the standing rye. My efforts this year weren't ideal with the rye being too tall for the sprayer boom.

Thanks for the update @Wild Thing

Makes me think i should start a thread on prior year rye residue management strategy if there are other plants that need to be sprayed within the standing rye. My efforts this year weren't ideal with the rye being too tall for the sprayer boom.

Which is why I am" boomless!"

bill

Which is why I am" boomless!"

bill
If the boomless nozzles are below the top of the rye I'd think you'd still have issues with some rye stalks preventing good coverage?