Green cover summer release and fall release pics.

You may be surprised how much of that Sorghum Sudan stands back up......and also sends up tillers before it calls it quits.

You may be surprised how much of that Sorghum Sudan stands back up......and also sends up tillers before it calls it quits.
It was at the end of its life cycle Fog. It is now just good soil armor as you like to call it.
IMG_2269.jpeg

Couple of things from the farm today.

I bought three of the large millennium buck huts at the end of last season, and put them up this year. They are a pain to get up, but I don’t think you can get a better bang for your Buck. I think I paid 500 each for them.
IMG_2296.jpegIMG_2291.jpeg

These are my first year native grass plantings. Most are 5 feet tall. I would call a major success.
IMG_2303.jpegIMG_2297.jpeg

The teosinte was a success too. 8-10 feet tall. Each stalk has about 8 ears each on them. This is what they look like. Apparently they feed animals all winter, and will regrow from seed in perpetuity
IMG_2305.jpegIMG_2307.jpeg

The Millennium is easier after the first year I think fabric stretches. But yes best bang for the buck. If you got them for $500 you did well. I still put down a screw anchor in the middle. You might look into the platform they sell separate for $62 shipped. Very handy getting in and out in the dark.

The Millennium is easier after the first year I think fabric stretches. But yes best bang for the buck. If you got them for $500 you did well. I still put down a screw anchor in the middle. You might look into the platform they sell separate for $62 shipped. Very handy getting in and out in the dark.
Thanks for info. If you look closely I do have a screw anchor in middle.

I’m hit or miss on platforms. I’m a big guy and they often feel more unstable.

I’ve got several premium fiberglass stands. They are nice. However, they cost 4-6K these days. That’s insane!

Where are your drive wheel and closing wheels set for 1" depth?
Wind. I took this today. This is pretty tough soil I’m reclaiming, a lot of crusty clay. You can see I got pretty much 100% germination in furrows. I think you will be happy if you hold the course.
IMG_2365.jpeg

Clover plots one week after first rain in months. Planted 75 rye, 50 oats, and more clover with Firminator. I’m hoping the light discing gets some free seed from last seasons good clover growth.

Bottom field stays dry. Planted some birds foot trefoil, chicory, and yellow and white sweet clover too. Got real weedy in summer

IMG_2376.jpegIMG_2375.jpeg

Last edited:
When did you plant those Omi?

Probably 3 weeks ago. But didn’t get a lick of rain till maybe 7-8 days ago.

One inch of rain in last nine weeks. Yet the seeds are ground pretty well in areas where I planted into standing summer crops.
IMG_2557.jpegIMG_2560.jpeg

I think I see some rye or grain coming up....what else?

I think I see some rye or grain coming up....what else?
Rye, wheat, and oats all germinating. Not seeing a lot of clover yet, I’m sure their little roots are trying to find some water down there somewhere. Ha

Couple of pics from today.

1st is my longleaf pine. It’s going into year 3, the shortest one is still in grass stage (you can see why it is called that). The other one is hitting the bottle brush stage (again easy to see why called that)IMG_2690.jpegIMG_2689.jpeg

Second is a year two switch planting. Patience is key. All seem lost and you turn around and it’s thick and 7 feet tall.

IMG_2694.jpegIMG_2695.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_2870.jpegIMG_2869.jpegIMG_2868.jpegIMG_2867.jpegIMG_2864.jpegIMG_2866.jpegIMG_2862.jpegPictures of some of my food plots today

Are the deer keeping them mowed that short or is it a lack of rainfall? It seems like there isn't a lot of food there for this time of year.