All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got the old boy

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
For me this was a down year for mature bucks with great antlers. This old boy has been around my farm for 3 years and I was guessing him at either 4 or 5. He was a sly old fellow but he made a mistake today and gave me an opening at 210 yards with the 300 Win Mag.

Even though not the greatest antlers, I am proud to harvest this beast. His body is just massive - every bit as big as the 165 inch buck I took in 2013.

You're not giving yourself enough credit, that's one heck of a buck!

You're not giving yourself enough credit, that's one heck of a buck!

Thanks bueller. I really am proud of him. We don't see a lot of deer that age in the area where my farm is.

The deer I really wanted this year had 1/4 of the antler of the one I did shoot.

And my antler ain't what it used to be :D.

That's a hog!
Congratulations.........

Just a guess. But I'm saying 24 inch main beams. How close am I ?

Thanks Bill. Will check beam length tomorrow and let you know.

Congrats NH! Dandy buck right there!

Beast, I would love one like him!

Sent from my 8g phone.

Congrats

Congrats Native. Very nice buck.

Being able to take a mature 4.5 year old or older is always a great experience ... nice job!

Bill, you were mighty close - 23.5 inch main beams. Here are a couple more pics now that we have some daylight.

Congrats great deer!!!

Great buck!

Weight after field dressing?

Great buck!

Weight after field dressing?

Thanks Sandbur. I have got to get a set of scales. I'm going to try and find a place to weigh him today.

Congrats, great buck!

He might not be a high scorer, but his rack has a lot of character. I like it! Well done NH.

Great buck! I like the character of the rack, especially the downturn of the right main beam.

Hopefully you didn't have to drag that big guy too far and could drive to it!

Thanks guys, I got lucky on the dragging part. He was in the turnip patch, so got the truck right to him. But dad and I liked to never have loaded him - thought we were going to have to go get the tractor. Finally we got the head in the bed and tied it off. Then we rested and got the hind legs and got him on up. I've got a portable winch that will start going with me from now on. We had the same problem in 2013 with my other big one. No more of that straining from here on out.

Real nice deer native - sometimes them older boys aren't as pretty but that's a dandy!