Disappointing taxidermy vent

He charges $480 for a shoulder mount. I don’t mind the cost as long as I’m getting a good finished product. This deer was a tank and like I said, I specifically asked to make the neck resemble the deer in the picture. I sent him other pictures of the whole deee. I only have this picture on this phone to post here.

TT ... understand all the life economics but many things come down to what you pay for, especially experience. I have many head mounts. The last 3 are with someone I have a good relationship with, he turkey hunts my land for free, and we communicate about activity in the area. He is a full time professional taxidermist. As a point of reference, he charges $650 per mount.

I am attaching the below pick to give you some frame of reference on a full sneak buck. This deer was 5.5 years old, was 229 lbs field dressed in Mid November which means he was down in weight due to rutting. The first pic shows me and my nephew in the filed with him. For frame of reference, my nephew is 6' 4" and goes 260 lbs. The second pic is the buck on the wall.

This buck was the alpha buck in the area and a real pig, I chased him for 3 years. I measured his neck this weekend and it went 24" and ears were 8.5". Notice the difference on the ground and the mount.

As stated above, the full sneak is a challenging pose, but if you picked it, it must have meant something to you. For me, this buck came into the FP out of the thicket with his head low, nostrils up, scent the girls in the FP and grunting. He was in full dominant form. Most important, got to share it with my nephew.

Why don't you tell us more of your story of the hunt, could be good therapy!

1593477572644.png

0628200906.jpg

Ive done taxidermy for 22 years. I now only do deer heads for return customers and I only take in 10 or less each season. I do this to keep it from feeling like a job (because its not for me) and I can focus on each head and get them done in a timely manner.

I will 2nd what a few guys have said... first a head-up, sneak position is the single worst form you can choose to show off the size of a deers neck. A Semi-upright or semi-sneak are going to have the largest swell and there are a few companies that make forms that display this far better than others as well. Second, the hide is still wet. It will dry and he should backbrush it which will fluff the hair up. Think of a wet dog before it shakes, that is what your head feels like in that picture. Another thing thats possible is that this guy tans his own capes (which is fine) but he doesnt know how to shave them down? If that hide is too thick it just doesnt have the stretch it needs to get back to how it was.

I wouldnt sweat it just yet. But next time, there are a lot more things you should research before picking a form, and maybe a taxidermists, to make your buck look the best it can be.

I hear you there bud, I don't know much about taxidermy and learned more in this post than I have from any of the 3 taxidermists I have used. I also know that these pics aren't the final result and will look better as a final product. I would hope that when I emphasized my wish of keeping the neck true to the mount, he would have said something like you guys did "that choice of form will be tough to show what you are asking me to do" and I would have followed his advice from there.
I didn't know any of this so it is very helpful and I am thankful for the words of wisdom. As a no-nothing about mounts customer, I chose the style (full sneak) to represent the deer just before I harvested it, it is accurately represented on my wall for eternity if that makes sense (he was on a hot doe). I will certainly pay more attention to my choices in the future and ask questions before choosing.
Thank you all for your comments and advice!

Don't think I've seen this point made so will share one BIG positive for the full-sneak pose mounts is increased flexibility on where you can hang them.

Upright or even semi-sneaks can add up to 24" extra inches of wall space needed to hang them. Far easier to find space to hang full-sneak on rooms with relatively low or angled ceilings.

Video below does a fair job going through forms and poses... and while I can't swear the video is 100% the most detailed on the subject that can be found on the internet, I can say that Nickie isn't the toughest presenter to look at. :emoji_wink:

TT ... understand all the life economics but many things come down to what you pay for, especially experience. I have many head mounts. The last 3 are with someone I have a good relationship with, he turkey hunts my land for free, and we communicate about activity in the area. He is a full time professional taxidermist. As a point of reference, he charges $650 per mount.

I am attaching the below pick to give you some frame of reference on a full sneak buck. This deer was 5.5 years old, was 229 lbs field dressed in Mid November which means he was down in weight due to rutting. The first pic shows me and my nephew in the filed with him. For frame of reference, my nephew is 6' 4" and goes 260 lbs. The second pic is the buck on the wall.

This buck was the alpha buck in the area and a real pig, I chased him for 3 years. I measured his neck this weekend and it went 24" and ears were 8.5". Notice the difference on the ground and the mount.

As stated above, the full sneak is a challenging pose, but if you picked it, it must have meant something to you. For me, this buck came into the FP out of the thicket with his head low, nostrils up, scent the girls in the FP and grunting. He was in full dominant form. Most important, got to share it with my nephew.

Why don't you tell us more of your story of the hunt, could be good therapy!

View attachment 30402

View attachment 30403

I see your point there, that is a slob of a buck bud!! The mount certainly doesn't do it justice but I do understand how and why now.

Oh I would love to tell the story!! I love telling my deer stories :)

So it is the last day of bow season, lightly snowing but light was fading fast, I am already packing up my gear and about to put my crossbow on the rope when I hear a grunt behind me in the thick stuff. A few minutes pass and I see a doe pop out of the thick stuff, 75 yards away and heading away from me. 30 seconds or so behind her is this buck, weaving back and forth in the broken up brush in front of me. I can tell he is a shooter by the size of the body and frame of the rack, but with light fading fast and I really didn't get a good look at the deer other than he was lip curling and had the sneak pose the whole way. Also his right side looked like, at the tip of the main beam, had a blob of antler about the size of a golf ball. They were heading away from me and the clock is working against me with borderline legal shooting time, so I quietly climb down and head for the truck while listening to him grunt and a few times and twice he actually roared. I don't know how many of you have heard it but this is my 3rd time I have heard bucks do this, its always been a buck chasing a doe and sounds like... well if you chugged a Pepsi and the burp that follows!! LOUD and LONG!!
I was bummed and excited at the same time. All I knew is I had to call in sick to work the next day and follow this up. I have no pictures of this deer and this is the first time I have seen him in person. I call in sick, I pull down the long tractor path and in the dark to the bean field at the end, I see eyes on the far side that are moving fast back and forth. I know whats going on, just as you do reading this, the eyes disappear and I exit the vehicle and start to get dressed. I hear grunting in the dark off in the distance from at least 2 different bucks and couldn't be more excited to have my Savage 220 in my hands walking to that stand in the dark that morning. Still dark I get in the stand and settled and I only hear movement in the brush 100 yards or so away but no idea what is making it. As usually happens, by legal shooting light everything is quiet and my hopes are quickly fading. Hours go by and it is a freezing cold windy watch from the stand. 10:00... turns into 11:00 then 12:00 and I haven't even seen a squirrel. By 1:00 or so I was a popsicle and ready to change things up. I had to start moving or I knew I wouldn't make it through night watch, I was dressed for a normal 4 hour sit and usually take a break between morning and night watch to meet up with hunting friends to eat and have some coffee and fun.
This property, if view from above, is 70 acres with a thicket consisting mostly of Dogwood on top where my stand is, with a few oaks and white pines mixed in that is best described as being horseshoe shaped like a peninsula with a deep ravine surrounding it on 3 sides and a flat swampy river bottom below. It is perfectly ideal to hunt the wind and still hunt the bottom visually from above, I often tiptoe the perimeter away from the edge and pop out to scan the river bottom below in sections even during bow season. I have done this so many times in the past and to this point only seen small buck's and doe's but usually see something regardless so its always produced some deer sightings. So the wind that day would only allow me to still hunt half the perimeter, at the very end of that still hunt, there he was. Bedded with a doe and lip curling in his bed, watching the steam coming out of his nose and mouth elevated my heartbeat. As I tiptoed out of view and got myself into position for a clean shot I couldn't for the life of me control my shaking or my breathing, we have all been there. I found it increasingly difficult to get my **** together and I am no rookie at this. Finally at a good angle with a clean shot at the bedded buck and as I am dropping to my knees to raise the gun against a small sapling and OF COURSE the doe stands up, luckily the buck stayed bedded, his head low and still sniffing the air and lip curling, that was the last picture I have of him in my head through the scope. I normally don't try to look at the body or rack through the scope but I needed to verify this was a shooter before pulling the trigger. I gathered my wits and squeezed the trigger, he never left his bed!!
The rest of this story is literally a steep uphill drag out of that bottom that took 3 grueling hours and a 20' rope by myself. I would wrap the rope around a tree above and pull the deer up as I pull the slack out of the rope down, which kept me from losing the 6" I gained on each pull. Over and over again until I reached the top, the rest of the drag was a 200 yard piece of cake compared to that struggle but MAN was I stoked!!
Both brows are bladed, there are only 2 countable points below his brows around the bases but there are a bunch there. His tines are short but he was 21 1/4' wide and the golf ball shaped mass was just an under developed crab claw that you can sort of make out in the pictures. It must have been the angle of the rack and nearly dark that tricked my brain there lol

Thanks for listening!
Daron

Next time I will give you the guy I use. He is in cicero and does a great job. I only have two but he got them back to me in 6-8 months. I think it is his full time job.

Next time I will give you the guy I use. He is in cicero and does a great job. I only have two but he got them back to me in 6-8 months. I think it is his full time job.

Awesome Chummer! The 2 guys I have tried I am obviously not pleased with, and they came with recomendations from friends, so thank you sir!! As long as they do a good job and don't keep moving the goalpost on the finish date, I honestly don't mind if it takes 18 months... as long as I know that going in, I am ok with it.

just a little more info
there is NO set time on HOW long it takes a taxidermist to DO a mounted deer head, as there are many variables in things, most start at how/who does the tanning of the hide.
not many do this themselves and as such, MOST tend to then wait till they get a LOT to send in all at once, this way they get a better price on things(more profit for THEM)
I have had taxidermist who did there own tanning and I got beautiful heads back in a few months, some time under 5 months! and they STILL look great 30+ yrs later!
a lot of problems and delays happen, when a taxidermist takes in MORE than expected work, than they can really handle, and when this happen, , quality also seems to suffer and they start to make mistakes and take short cuts!, this is also where many again, will but forms in BULK to get discounted prices, and use a one size fits ALL, rather than finding the RIGHT form for the hide!
add in a lot of taxidermist do the work a a second job and not as a full time deal, that then means they only work on things as TIME allows, and they can again get over loaded, if they bulk send out hides and then in return get BULK hides back at once!, then get overwhelmed with more than again they had hoped they would get, throwing off there time frame, as now they have LOT mroe work than expected, as they do heads, the first onbe's slower, or at there NORMAL rate and before long start to notice there getting WAY behind on things, the quality almost always starts to go down hill, and worse yet, customers also still end up waiting longer than expected, and then get a sub par head back

the upside to "X" taxidermist, is, that again, MOST guys just don';t know the difference in a so so mount, s to a GREAT mount,
as many only have a 1 , or few, and maybe the first they have is worse already as could be older or, many first timers, some times let FRIENDS mount there first deer or??(I heard this all the time when I worked in my buddys shop)
and then, when they FIRST pick up there head, most are just HAPPY to get it back, they don;t really see the flaws till they get home and have it next to another head, maybe done better!

or after someone that knows more about things points things out!

cannot tell you how many crossed eye'd deer head I seen at hunting camps LOL
or lots of white showing on one eye and NON on the other!

some never ever notice these things or care!

but when ever a taxidermist GIVES a time frame, I always expect things to to be PAST that, before done, 90% of the time, unless they give you some crazy 1+ yr date
things shouldn't;t take more than a Yr, IMO< yet its becoming more and more common.
forms, eye's tanning and all that doesn;t take LONG to have done folks!
the rest is labor on the taxidermist for the most part, some work more often and faster than others, and quality doesn't have to be graded on TIME spent, its graded on work put out!
I again, strongly recommend folks that plan to have many deer heads mounted , should learn how to take measurements, and take GOOD pictures, not a BAD idea to take pic's of tape measure ON the deer at time of measurements then you have evidence in things?? not that it will correct a messed up mount, but might get you some leverage on price, or can be used to show the taxidermist and his customers what he did wrong!
when you get a receipt at drop off time, get the expected date in writing too(again doubt it will help but ads evidence to your side)
Bad taxidermists are out there ALL Over the place, and most stay in business due to folks lack of knowing what real quality is and to look for, and worse yet
due to folks don;t make as big a fuss to make them either do better or get out of the game
like said, a sucker born every minute? many count on this to stay in business I think!

From the title, I though this was about a poorly-done fish butt.