Gardens

Well I have a small vegetable garden and various flower beds. I was just thinking that I should have taken some pictures... Then we got 2" of heavy rain yesterday, definitely a blessing as we needed the moisture, but now most of my bigger plants are laying down.

[QUOTEway errh, post: 7650, member: 10"]Sounds like the makings of a LOT of salsa :D[/QUOTE]
Usually 50 quarts salsa, 50 quarts of pizza/spagetti sauce, 40 quarts v8 juice. The rest is made into chunks or given to siblings.

Attachments

• 228141_464100886946652_1900576654_n.jpg
    228141_464100886946652_1900576654_n.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 11
I'm having a problem (maybe?) with my sweet corn, its now been in the ground for 9 days (peaches and cream variety). I've had success with this type in the past but last year had germination problems and it was to late to try again. This year I pre-soaked the seed for 8 hours before i put it in the ground.​

I know germination rate is 7-10 days with corn and I have soaker hoses that I use 1 hour each night. Had great sunny weather in the 70s and low 80s recently, give it more time or replant?

Well got my answer, last night when I had gotten home, no signs of corn, dug up 1 spot where there was seed, and hey, no seed. Doug up 5 more spots nope no seed. That flipping ground critter ate every single one of my corn seeds. Wth!

My garden and our fields were holding up pretty well until last night's rain. Half of my tomatoes and half of the vine crops are under water.

If you see fenced gardens, there is a healthy deer herd. I have not fenced my garden in years.
Surprising that up in zone 1, which is lottery for doe permits, nearly every garden is fenced.

We have a 2' tall fence around our garden to keep out rabbits and woodchucks. Deer population is 8-12 per sq.mile, if you believe Mass Wildlife.

Nice gardens. Bug never hit me, and never took the time to run a garden.....but we do go to the local farmers market. :)

I was finally able to get mine tilled the second time yesterday. Took forever to dry out. The wife got some stuff planted last night (already had onions, radishes, and I think peas in) and will hopefully be able to finish the rest tonight (if it doesn't rain....).

I'm lucky, the wife loves to garden, pull weeds, harvest veggies, can, freeze, etc. I help out with the tilling and will spray gly in between the rows once or twice a year. Next year I hope to have enough newspaper stashed for mulching.
My Carrots and green beans are now reading the Star Tribune sports section.