Franklin Cider Apple tree

James P. Bipps

5 year old buck +
I have two coming next week on B118 rootstock. For those that have received theirs, what size are they?

Mine were 36" bare root whips

Mine was grade 4. Not sure what that was on Cummins website but it was one of the cheaper ones. Maybe a 30" whip with nice roots. I had to look twice when I picked up my order. Heavy caliper Sundance, the Franklin, and 6 b118 rootstock. The Franklin was about 6" taller than the rootstocks.

Mine were grade #3 and had been topped at ~ 36". Nice whip with some branching starting on what looked to be great B118 root systems.

Mine has leaves now:

Still waiting for my Franklin Cummins missed a couple trees on my order. Second year in a row they haven't sent everything.

Still waiting for my Franklin Cummins missed a couple trees on my order. Second year in a row they haven't sent everything.
Not sure how far you are from my place but I have my annual tree sale on the 29th and 30th. I have 2000 trees coming in of which 780 are Franklin Cider. I am almost sold out but believe I still have some available. I will be checking my pre-order list this weekend to see what I have left. I feel bad that Cummins is unable to fill your order but willing to help my neighbors.

Not sure how far you are from my place but I have my annual tree sale on the 29th and 30th. I have 2000 trees coming in of which 780 are Franklin Cider. I am almost sold out but believe I still have some available. I will be checking my pre-order list this weekend to see what I have left. I feel bad that Cummins is unable to fill your order but willing to help my neighbors.

Thanks appleman Cummins is sending the trees they just missed them in the initial shipment they always make it right - I was just whining. Where are you located? I might be interested in some more trees if you don't mind sharing a list of whats left, and it would be cool to see your orchard.

Last edited:
Thanks appleman Cummins is sending the trees they just missed them in the initial shipment they always make it right - I was just whining. Where are you located? I might be interested in some more trees if you don't mind sharing a list of whats left, and it would be cool to see your orchard.
Located in Franklin, Vermont. My wife Susan and I are owners of the Franklin General Store 5243 Main St and Sandy Bay Orchard. I have Honeycrisp, Liberty, and Franklin Cider on B118 available. Bundles of 5 @ 14.75 per tree, 3/4 to 7/8 inch caliper. I would rather have you E-Mail me for any questions you may have about purchasing trees as it is not my intention to conduct business on this site. I sell locally to growers in our region and to those close enough to make a day trip.

Located in Franklin, Vermont. My wife Susan and I are owners of the Franklin General Store 5243 Main St and Sandy Bay Orchard. I have Honeycrisp, Liberty, and Franklin Cider on B118 available. Bundles of 5 @ 14.75 per tree, 3/4 to 7/8 inch caliper. I would rather have you E-Mail me for any questions you may have about purchasing trees as it is not my intention to conduct business on this site. I sell locally to growers in our region and to those close enough to make a day trip.

Wish I could come up Bill. Had surgery Monday and I'm layed up for a month. Good luck w/ the trees. I'll give you a call sometime soon when I'm feeling better.

Get well
Wish I could come up Bill. Had surgery Monday and I'm layed up for a month. Good luck w/ the trees. I'll give you a call sometime soon when I'm feeling better.
Get well soon my friend.

Get well

Get well soon my friend.

Thanks Buddy. Feeling ok today, but they are taking out a catheter w/ a nerve blocker today. I wonder how I'll feel w/o that.

Trees are coming along good down here. 1/2 - tight cluster. Brian sprayed for me last night ahead of this rain. That should have me in good shape til pink/bloom. I just see one more infection period thru May 1st. How ya lookin up there?

Hoping you're feeling better each day, Maya.
Nerve blocker ??? I figured you hardy Vermont guys chewed on a bullet or a 16 penny nail .......... something like that !!!!!:emoji_astonished::emoji_persevere:

We do, but the Dr is from Colorado, and you know how they feel about drugs! :emoji_v:

Just taking some Tylenol.

Love it !!!!! ^^^^^ :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_laughing:

Just got mine ... 56 inchers. Will be planted tomorrow. Thanks for the responses, interested in how this tree materializes ... based on its potential.

Thanks Buddy. Feeling ok today, but they are taking out a catheter w/ a nerve blocker today. I wonder how I'll feel w/o that.

Trees are coming along good down here. 1/2 - tight cluster. Brian sprayed for me last night ahead of this rain. That should have me in good shape til pink/bloom. I just see one more infection period thru May 1st. How ya lookin up there?
At bud break waiting till half inch green. Trees delivered today. Can't wait to find time next week to add 25 Franklin's to my tree plots for wildlife and prepare for turkey season. A Wish for you a speedy recovery.
I have two coming next week on B118 rootstock. For those that have received theirs, what size are they?

I just received 800 Franklin Cider, 370 of which came in at 7/8" and 430 at 3/4". I received an E-Mail late last summer stating the Franklin was found to be one of best growers at the nursery. Very excited about getting them in the hands of growers and sportsmen this week and will report back in the future. I have a video I did in February showing this variety to be very attractive to whitetails late season on our 250 acre property. The file is to large to download. It shows the Franklin as the only tree, of the hundreds throughout the property, with apples still hanging on the tree. The numerous deer trails in the snow leading to and from the tree and what I have witnessed over the years is testimony enough to state this is one of the most desirable trees for attracting wildlife I have growing on my property.

View attachment 12931 IMG_2190.JPG Great times with the help from family and friends preparing trees to be picked up for spring planting 2017. Taking tomorrow off to add 50 Franklins to my tree plot collection.

Attachments

• IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    508.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    579.9 KB · Views: 34
Looks like fun Bill, wish I could be there! Great looking trees, good luck!

On a bright note for me. We are getting started tonight on my barn/cider house!