for those that have used elevators for stand erection

willy

5 year old buck +
If you've used elevators for your stand erection and they had a 7 or 8 degree angle, what is the actual height of the base from the ground when using twelve foot legs?

Thanks

If you've used elevators for your stand erection and they had a 7 or 8 degree angle, what is the actual height of the base from the ground when using twelve foot legs?

Thanks

=12ft * cos(8deg) is approximately 11’8”. It is essentially the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you mglenn.

You will need to add your platform base plus decking if you looking for top height.

And have tied down or post in concrete,Before I put a box blind that high I would get as tall of step ladder I could find and set up to see if you really need the height.Also with that long of legs you will need really good cross bracing and be careful when raising

Thank you all for advice on elevators. I haven't used them prior but have erected 10 other blinds from 6.5' to 16' without brackets using 4x4's and lag bolted and carriage bolted to base and floor. They are also 2' in the ground with concrete. So far they are standing tall and like the day put up. The oldest is going on ten years.

I decided to go with elevators as where this one is going is going to be in the firing line of the worst winds any of the blinds get hit by. The brackets will give me some angle to help with the push of the winds against the blind. A good thing about this blind is it is a round one so that will help with wind shear. I will probably add cables to top of platform and anchored into the ground for increased support.

And have tied down or post in concrete,Before I put a box blind that high I would get as tall of step ladder I could find and set up to see if you really need the height.Also with that long of legs you will need really good cross bracing and be careful when raising

This is very similar to what I do. Step ladder check to determine height. Cheap blind on the platform for a year, followed by a permanent shooting house the following year.

For 8-12’ heights, one set of X braces using 2x4s is needed per side. For this height as well, a front end loader (to lift) and an atv can pull these up easily (a good 100’ x 5/8” rope is so helpful and recommended).

For taller heights, you probably want 2 x-braces per side. And it will be heavy and you need to use leverage and geometry to help get that stand up. I’ve raised a 16’ and I’m speaking from experience. You need a good rope.

Search my name and you will see some threads on shooting house builds, so of which outline our install process.

Install note on these brackets. The direction, relative to the orientation of the bracket, in which you raise a platform is critical. The legs (4x4s) that will carry the load during raising MUST be fully x-braced as well.

Another note. Have a rope to let the platforms down gently instead of it coming crashing into place.

Thanks

=12ft * cos(8deg) is approximately 11’8”. It is essentially the same.

And just to fully complete this thought. Your footprint would be 2-3’ wider than the platform dimensions. Using 12ft legs and a 6x6’ platform.

=12ft*sin(8deg) = 1.67’ or 20” (per leg, per direction). So for a 6x6 platform, your footprint would be 9.4 x 9.4’ or 112x112”.

And for a math correction (not my guesstimate)...
=12ft*cos(8deg) = 11’-10.5”

Thanks mglenn. That is the height I am looking for.

I have used cable instead of rope for raising blinds, they are run through a pulley and then attached to the winch cable on my four wheeler. I will be able to use the tractor on this one so I am going to use my loader with log chains for lifting and then a controlled movement forward to let the stand down softly.

Thanks mglenn. That is the height I am looking for.

I have used cable instead of rope for raising blinds, they are run through a pulley and then attached to the winch cable on my four wheeler. I will be able to use the tractor on this one so I am going to use my loader with log chains for lifting and then a controlled movement forward to let the stand down softly.

Not sure how your are going to use the pulley. For 12’, I don’t think you will need it. Attached is my POV form our ranger pulling a 10’ platform up. Dad used the tractor for the initial lift. After installing many of these, its easier to have a secondary rope (we use a tow strap) to lift the platform (versus scooping it with the FEL). This minimize cosmetic damage to the platform.

6b758dabe29f2448df65ac03d471c539.jpg

Not going to use a pulley for this one, that was the others when I used the 4 wheeler and winch. The tractor is all I need.

This may be a known for some but I never paid attention to it until @bueller pointed it out.

Orientation of the brackets when lifting the platform "IS" important.

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/my-elevator-bracket-experience.6092/

ABSOLUTELY. I mentioned it in an above post. I remember reading this thread and thinking I got lucky with my first install because I didn’t think about the orientation at all.

1546536218281.pngcan't mess up the orientation of these

I build mine upright with a boom I built for my tractor and then just drive them into place. Then I build the house complete and pick that up EA5A9217-5A38-49B6-9421-E8CAAF1B8A4F.jpeg125FB943-F57B-4C03-BF10-9B4B5CCB5FF3.jpeg578F5F7E-98F1-4A21-AC96-81D215502D60.jpegD63D0869-ECDC-4C9C-94C1-9FE7813555EE.jpeg

One thing you should consider for the cross 2x4s is bracing them across each leg at and angle but run the end of the 2x4 into the ground. It creates 12 points of contact. 3 on each leg and really stabilizes the stand. You can land a jet on it.