Fleet Farm deer snack apple trees

roth2000

5 year old buck +
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about a sale at fleet farm. Just got back and they have what they call deer snack apples for 19.99 but they have a sale that makes them 15.99. Some of the varieties I saw included honeycrisp, freedom, liberty, Macintosh, wolf river, fireside, chestnut crab, dolgo, Whitney crab and I might of forgot a couple others. The trees do have a bagged root system and are anywhere between 3-7 feet depending on the variety. FYI the fleet farm I was at was in Fergus Falls, MN.

The Waite Park(St. Cloud) store had some with tags that said M 7 rootstock. No other rootstock was indicated.

A buddy went to Brainerd to get some awhile back and they were sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vendor that supplies Fleet Farm gets them from Bailey’s in MSP so the rootstock should be a good selection.

Last edited:
The gender that supplies Fleet Farm gets them from Bailey’s in MSP so the rootstock should be a good selection.

Good choice of varieties, also.

My buddy thought M 7 might bear early and should be hardy.

I snagged two awhile back and was able to cut scion off of them... Two varieties I didnt have and I grafted out 5 or 6 RS to the harvested scion; The trees were 1/2" plus dia and had decent bareroots... I figured they were bailey trees by the paint markings on the trunks. I would say they are good trees but I wish I knew what RS they are on, the tags didnt show that - I will double check now that you said some did say m7 .... being "deer snacks" I hope they are not too dwarfing of a root stock or the trees will be deer snacks instead of the fruit in the end.

FYI - If you buy sets of 2 they ring up at $16/pc. Buy just 1 and they’re $20. Still a great deal for the price. I grabbed a doglo, wolf river, liberty and enterprise yesterday.

The store in EC WI is almost sold out already.

I like they have an “A” side and “B” side to the display. If you get one from each side you have guaranteed pollination partners. Nice for people less in the know!

The one in Menomonie is pretty picked over too -

Th Fergus falls store looked to have just set their trees out, the display was full. I bought one and it rang up 15.99 and the cashier said they had a sale going on so maybe I just lucked out. Lots of good varieties for us northern growers with a few questionable ones mixed in.

I snagged two awhile back and was able to cut scion off of them... Two varieties I didnt have and I grafted out 5 or 6 RS to the harvested scion; The trees were 1/2" plus dia and had decent bareroots... I figured they were bailey trees by the paint markings on the trunks. I would say they are good trees but I wish I knew what RS they are on, the tags didnt show that - I will double check now that you said some did say m7 .... being "deer snacks" I hope they are not too dwarfing of a root stock or the trees will be deer snacks instead of the fruit in the end.

The only ones that had rootstock indicated were all M7. I guessed they were all the same.

I’ve received Apple and crab apple trees from Wallace nursery. I have received trees for on all different types of rootstock. I believe it depends on the tree. Centennial crab on Antonovka. Liberty, Franklin cider, Arkansas Black and Enterprise on B118. Chestnut crab and Freedom on M7. Dolgo crab on some other standard rootstock. People say they get their trees from Baileys. I don’t know but they are always awesome trees.

Anyone checked Alexandria, MN?

I just bought 10 today and 7 of them on Friday, it was to much to resist at that price. Should be busy this weekend!

The Fleet Farm in Green Bay, WI has quite a few left yet too. I don’t know if they were on sale. I’ve been keeping my eye on them Incase they get cheap. Lots of good varieties as stated above and on M7 rootstock.

I don’t need anymore for this year, but if they get cheap enough I’ll buy some. Especially if they have some chestnut crabapples left.

The best I can figure is that these trees were not large enough in caliper to sell like the typical trees from baileys so they packaged them as deer snack trees but for the price difference compared to the potted trees of the same varieties it seems a no brainer to go this route. The larger caliper trees that the nurserys pot up from baileys regularly go for $70+ around here which seems like a huge mark up considering I can get the same bare root trees through the conservation district for $25. No matter the case I'm happy to have come across the sale and get a few trees for the new yard.

The Fleet Farm in Green Bay, WI has quite a few left yet too. I don’t know if they were on sale. I’ve been keeping my eye on them Incase they get cheap. Lots of good varieties as stated above and on M7 rootstock.

I don’t need anymore for this year, but if they get cheap enough I’ll buy some. Especially if they have some chestnut crabapples left.

I believe I got 3 chestnut crabs.

The larger caliper trees that the nurserys pot up from baileys regularly go for $70+ around here which seems like a huge mark up considering I can get the same bare root trees through the conservation district for $25.

Yes, you have to watch for that scam, big difference between trees grown in pots for sale and bare root trees dropped into pots and sold the same season as potted plants - I have seen that before.

If you have ever seen the baileys grow yards its pretty impressive - if not google earth them once; pretty expansive area they farm. It is possible they are cull trees Im just guessing by the volume they are likey just harvested a year earlier than the larger caliper trees - either way they seem to be nice trees and at a fair price.

The larger caliper trees that the nurserys pot up from baileys regularly go for $70+ around here which seems like a huge mark up considering I can get the same bare root trees through the conservation district for $25.

Yes, you have to watch for that scam, big difference between trees grown in pots for sale and bare root trees dropped into pots and sold the same season as potted plants - I have seen that before.

If you have ever seen the baileys grow yards its pretty impressive - if not google earth them once; pretty expansive area they farm. It is possible they are cull trees Im just guessing by the volume they are likey just harvested a year earlier than the larger caliper trees - either way they seem to be nice trees and at a fair price.

Yes I grew up in the same town where baileys nursery is. It’s huge for sure!

The only apple trees at the Alexandria MN Fleet FArm were $69.99

Just got back from Fleet Farm in Delevan,WI. I was really impressed with the trees. I had to pull myself away and use self control. I bought a few more chestnut crabs. They had a large selection dolgo,centenial,whitney, wolf river,liberty, honeycrisp,red barron, a lot of goodman. and a few others. Most trees were about 6ft tall. They listed for $19.99 and rang up $15.99

Seen these in Stevens Point the other week. Should have got 2 but didnt. They had them right out front before you walk into the store. I knew they were not going to last long.. None yeaterday.