Apple / crab report

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
I was up to the cabin this last week to plant several food plots. Before heading home, I had the opportunity to check some of the apple and crab trees there.

The tree that was hanging with the most fruit of those checked was the Nova scotia crab. Golf ball sized, pale yellow with a red blush on the sunny side. Tasted one - mostly tart, at least at this stage of the season, but plenty of fruit on it. One Kerr had a nice amount of apples on it, a Goldrush had a fair crop, and one of our Whitney crabs had it's first decent number of apples on it. Also the first Wolf River of our SLN trees had 2 apples on it. Big fruit!! N.Y. 35 "Bonkers" had about 10 apples on it, and our older un-named, yellowish-green apple tree is once again loaded. I'd sent scion from this tree to several members here - hopefully they are still growing for them. At least 1 Dolgo had fruit on it (this one for the first time) and they tasted like a flavor explosion!! They remind me of the "Sweet Tarts" candy - but better. I can see why Sandbur adds Dolgo to his apple sauce.

Japs or caterpillars appear to have brutalized a couple trees, but most trees look decent for lack of spraying schedule.

I'll probably take a day this next week and head back up to mow around all of our outlying apples and crabs, so I'll have a better chance to check on the other trees.

Good report Bows! Glad the frost didn't get to them. My Dolgo's are a few years away from fruiting, looking forward to it.

We have a bunch of old apples on our place. They were loaded last year but a late frost took them out this year. They’re down along a creek bottom so probably “frost pocket” territory. I have some 2017-2019 trees up higher but they’re not producing anything yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk